Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so it's a 74 but I'm converting it to a 73, I wasn't due to start this 'till next year as I have zero spare time and money at the mo but the rust is growing at an alarming rate so thought I'd best make a start, and looking at flak monkey's camaro project has given me loads of inspiration, plans are (and can and probably will change lol) 73 non rs front and rear conversion, pro touring sort of look but not massive rims, big block engine but would prefer ls engine if funds allow, original colour was silver but I'll probably go for grey or orange paint, still need a 70-73 front lower valance and a rear bumper if anyone has one please :tup:

·
Rust buster...
602 Posts
Very nice! :tup: I would have loved an earlier one.

Looks pretty straight and clean too. Hope you dont find as much tin worm as I have! Sounds like you have similar plans to me as well. I'll be watching to see how you get on :)

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice! :tup: I would have loved an earlier one.

Looks pretty straight and clean too. Hope you dont find as much tin worm as I have! Sounds like you have similar plans to me as well. I'll be watching to see how you get on :)
It's not too bad, there's a few bits of welding to do, I'll get some more pics up soon, I hope I don't find as much tin worm as you as I don't have your welding skills lol, I have a friend help me with my welding so I could do with finding as little as pos lol, the rear arches and wing bottoms as well as a few more patches has been done with pop rivets :shake:, but for it's age it's quite good. :tup:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice to see another camaro on here seams that they are all coming outa the woodwork at the moment! :)
my Dad's had it parked up for nearly 20 years, and he's responsible for filling over the rust and painting it Fiat yellow :lol:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
been stripping it and having a poke here and there, don't seem bad at all, there's a fair few bits of welding to do but nothing big, overall pretty solid but I havn't checked everywhere yet lol, I'm gonna whip out the dash and rear seat tomorrow and see if there's any more, there's a lot of filler on the rear wings where the lower panel and new arches have been pop riveted on as well as a few riveted plates in the boot and inner arches.

there's a few more bits here and there and on the doors but all minor stuff, and who puts a Buick engine in a Camaro? :?:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Buick 3.8 v6 reasonable small capacity engine .
Big Buick V8 [ 455 ] I would put one in a Camaro or Firebird or any other vehicle that it would sensibly fit into.
Low weight compared to BBC or Pontiac 400, 428 ,455 . Also capable of serious tuning and weighs similar to SBC if the Buick is fitted with ally heads. Don't knock it unless you've tried one----torque and power like you wouldn't believe !

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my one's the 350 buick mate, very wide for a small block engine thats why they're confused with the big blocks, still lighter than the chevy 350 though but parts just seem dearer and few and far between otherwise I would av kept it, its a great engine.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
my one's the 350 buick mate, very wide for a small block engine thats why they're confused with the big blocks, still lighter than the chevy 350 though but parts just seem dearer and few and far between otherwise I would av kept it, its a great engine.
Buick built some nice engines in the late 60s early 70s . Your 350 could be a good allrounder with the right cam and intake also cars like a Buick 400 GS were top performers in their class [ up - market luxury cruiser with a fair bit of weight and it could still give 0-60 in under 6 sec ! ]

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree mate, mines a 73 engine and pulls like a train but its the price and availability of the performance parts, everything I priced up I could get for half the price for a chevy, I'm always keeping my eye open for decent headers and ally heads etc but can honestly see me just getting a crate chevy, if I get some cheap ally heads then I'll put it back in lol.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I agree mate, mines a 73 engine and pulls like a train but its the price and availability of the performance parts, everything I priced up I could get for half the price for a chevy, I'm always keeping my eye open for decent headers and ally heads etc but can honestly see me just getting a crate chevy, if I get some cheap ally heads then I'll put it back in lol.
Got to agree with all of that , in the UK it makes sense to have a SBC . Those crate motors are fantastic value and though we all like the romance of exotic big blocks none of us would like the fuel bills ,Forgot to say what a nice project your car is :tup:

·
Rust buster...
602 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. Scrape all the sound deading stuff off the floor inside and have a good look if you havent already. It hides all sorts! :tup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
my 2nd gen when purchased had a buick v6 lump and BOP auto gearbox, its the great brand that is GM using what they had readily available at the time of production.

although it does feel like a Friday afternoon parts special!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Looking good..looks like your going the same way with it, as i am with mine..early front end..and an engine swap(mine was a six pot, then a pontiac400, then, and now a 305..for the time being..
Plenty of rot on the rear quarters..and inside edge of trunk lid..
Good luck with your build:tup:
Adam.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts