Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home and from the time I pulled away the auto box would not shift beyond 2nd gear. Then after about 5 minutes it shifted to 3rd and was fine for the rest of the drive. I had this happen about 6 months ago also.

Any thoughts????

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
I was driving home and from the time I pulled away the auto box would not shift beyond 2nd gear. Then after about 5 minutes it shifted to 3rd and was fine for the rest of the drive. I had this happen about 6 months ago also.

Any thoughts????
Hi supersmoothpunk,

Probably a question for "redvictor" Andy Frost, he is very helpful and knows his autoboxes as that is what he does for a living.

You could try giving him a bell at work on 01902 - 344004, although sometimes he gets a bit snowed under workwise and doesn't always have time to chat.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called a transmission shop near me. The guy said that it sounds like a valve is getting stuck and not allowing the car to shift out of second. He said if the car hasn`t been used much for a while (which it hasn`t) the fluid can turn to jelly inside the valve and cause it to stick. He recommended getting the car really warm and doing some driving that will cause the car to shift up and down the gears a lot and circulate the fluid. He said failing that to put an additive in such as lube guard.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Check some gearbox forums you should have a 700r4 the early 1s were to weak for the car and would fail that was about 85.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I had a similar fault on my last C4 . It would only select 1st .2nd and reverse but my fluid went a darker colour. It proved to need a total rebuild. Not an easy or cheap job. If you are lucky if you drain the fluid and change the filter you might be luckier than I was...These 700r4 gearbox faults tend to be serious, they are just not as strong as a TH350 and if you use the power of the vette they tend to break.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts