Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering what primer people recommend. I am building on a budget, and certainly not looking for show quality finish (Hot Rod Flatz sort of paint eventually), and the bodyshell will not get any primer, let alone paint on it for about a year until I finish (haven't even started yet!!) the bodyshell work, but I am working on the grill shell at the moment. I have bodyfilled it but sanded only to 100 grit for now, hopefully getting some more sanding with some finer paper in the weekend. But I was wondering what I should prime it with. Is rattle can primer not going to be any good?
Also, how much would it cost if you gave a car respray company the bodyshell ready to paint, all prepped and smooth and all that they needed to do was prime and paint it? A I say, that time will be a loing, long time ahead, but planning ahead and all. I apologise for the newbie kind of question, I am new to bodywork.

·
Want ford 4 stud wide
279 Posts
I was wondering what primer people recommend. I am building on a budget, and certainly not looking for show quality finish (Hot Rod Flatz sort of paint eventually), and the bodyshell will not get any primer, let alone paint on it for about a year until I finish (haven't even started yet!!) the bodyshell work, but I am working on the grill shell at the moment. I have bodyfilled it but sanded only to 100 grit for now, hopefully getting some more sanding with some finer paper in the weekend. But I was wondering what I should prime it with. Is rattle can primer not going to be any good?
Also, how much would it cost if you gave a car respray company the bodyshell ready to paint, all prepped and smooth and all that they needed to do was prime and paint it? A I say, that time will be a loing, long time ahead, but planning ahead and all. I apologise for the newbie kind of question, I am new to bodywork.
Hi,
My advise would be to rent out a compressor for the weekend. 2 or 3 litres of good quality primer will probably cost less than the amount of rattle cans you would have needed. You will get a spray gun good enough for priming for £30, but I am sure you would find some to lend you one for a weekend. This way you will get a good coverage of paint so there will be more to go at when it comes to flatting. Hope this helps.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,519 Posts
Use a small rad roller and Lechler green Ti 2 pack primer ( READ the tech sheet and take relevant precautions) . You can even do the body with it as you prep it panel by panel. It will give good protection unlike spray can primer which is too thin and the steel will still rust underneath ,quickly as well.

Bear in mind that paint alone will not straighten a car, it's the quality of the prep that's the key to finish so I'd go with the spray yourself approach.Many paint shops simply will not paint someone else prep as it leads to lots of moaning ,from those who don't understand, when it looks ripply as hell .

Don't waste money on hotrod flatz etc, ask for satin or matt paint finish at your normal paint suppliers, fraction of the price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.