Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of buying an A frame to tow with, but went online found most at half price thought great cheaper than a trailer plus no where to keep it anyway.
Have i mist something as i was told that A frame towing has now been banned in Europe and Insurance companies wont cover this.
Does anyone know the truth or have i been told a load of bollocks !
Dont want to buy if i cant use it.
Any comments.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,052 Posts
Funnily enough I was speaking with VOSA about this today. A frames can only be used to tow up to 750kg INCLUDING the weight of the frame itself, after that it must be braked . Thisiis actually why RAC have sold all theirs to replace with their hydraulic 'semi' spec lifts !

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O.K so sounds like i have been told a half truth, so all these forign campers over here towing there Smarts or as i saw the other day on M27 a Range rover ( French plated) hope the prop was off or yes it could have been a stick shift could be braking a U.K law or is this Euro again.

·
Old enough to know better
3,479 Posts
A smartie weighs 730kg, and my A frame weighs 18........;)
Is it legal, dunno, :beuj: but I'm ready for the row when the bill pull me at dover in a couple of weeks.....

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,052 Posts
O.K so sounds like i have been told a half truth, so all these forign campers over here towing there Smarts or as i saw the other day on M27 a Range rover ( French plated) hope the prop was off or yes it could have been a stick shift could be braking a U.K law or is this Euro again.
..and again, funnily enough we spoke about the Smart car as well and that very scenario.
It's Brit law and has been in for many years, just not general knowledge and , up til now, not often enforced . The Police generally are not aware of it but the stepped up VOSA roadside patrols are .

Likewise we discussed Type Approved tow bars ( mandatory since 1998 ) and their legality for vehicles registered via BIVA ( Amateur Built, Modified Production , Commercial and Imports ). Basically if you EVER want to tow with them they must be fitted at the time of the test so that a GVTW ( Gross Vehicle Train Weight ) can be assigned.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If VOSA pull me up on the road side they will have a hayday VW Caddy p/up scrapping the tar mac with after market tow bar attached to an A frame with car wieghing in at say 1800kg. Lets all F--k OFF to America if your wheel falls off your trailer wak a branch up it and keep driving only if your from New Zealand though.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,360 Posts
Don't forget that the maximum weight of 750kgs must be based on the towed vehicles maximum gross weight, not its kerbweight. The Smart cars have a max gross weight over 750kgs. Braked A-frames do not meet the relevant specs for trailer brakes.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
i saw the other day on M27 a Range rover ( French plated) .
As long as it wasn't a Transit minibus towing a blue 7 seat Toyota on a straight bar going towards London from pompey on the M3 then I wouldn't worry

Opps :giggle:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts