Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it just me, or does anyone else always find themselves looking into buying themselves a new plasma tv? about a year ago i sold my 32" plasma to my sister as i bought myself a new 37" samsung plasma. now i find myself getting the urge to buy myself a 50" samsung plasma. think its because my 37" looks small on my new ikea tv unit:pmsl: anybody else always buying new tech toys for themself?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not really. I am still constantly amazed by the amount of money people now want to spend on tellies when the old one isn't broken and the frequency in which they do it. Even people who clearly can't afford it. As an environmentalist it's a nightmare coming true from a resource depletion and waste management standpoint though. Wouldn't want to speculate how many perfectly good CRTs (and now smaller plasmas and LCDs) are dumped out there. Perfectly good working technology which is being 'upgraded' to alternatives that use more energy than the products they are replacing as well.

Anyway, that's me off my high horse now. I'm back down the garage playing with old car tat I've scavanged from the junk pile.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you were an environmentalist you would have a prius.......

plus i dont like CRT type tv's, theyre too bulky for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it wasny a dig at jonny, just i envisage that anybody who is actually an environmentalist would take into consideration their mode of transport and choose a green machine rather than a gas guzzling rod of some description.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i mostly use my tv for gaming with the ps3, however LED tv's apparently arent the best for things like gaming as they have a tendancy to blur with fast moving pictures. plus for what its worth the new samsung LED tv's are hellish prices compared to plasma, plus i think plasma is less prone to faults like dead cells.

·
Registered
267 Posts
it wasny a dig at jonny, just i envisage that anybody who is actually an environmentalist would take into consideration their mode of transport and choose a green machine rather than a gas guzzling rod of some description.
Not at all, but I am an environmentalist both in qualification and career. You're confusing environmentalists with hippies ;)

I've already said I'd have a Prius but I don't drive enough miles in or out of town to justify anything more than a fun car.

well, i mostly use my tv for gaming with the ps3, however LED tv's apparently arent the best for things like gaming as they have a tendancy to blur with fast moving pictures. plus for what its worth the new samsung LED tv's are hellish prices compared to plasma, plus i think plasma is less prone to faults like dead cells.
Plasmas suck electricity though and you've got to consider it'll put a big dent on your electricity bill and cook you in the summer. It's worth looking at the overall cost before you make an outlay. A 400W plasma TV will rack the electricity bill up the equivalent amount rather quickly and you'll find it costs you more than the LED TV in the long run.

Who said environmental based decisions were expensive? The right ones aren't ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
however LED tv's apparently arent the best for things like gaming as they have a tendancy to blur with fast moving pictures.
On the subject of blurring pictures the latest true LED screens (not LED backlit LCD screens which are the ones that blur) should respond much faster than the LCD technology and will be comparable quality to any plasma or CRT at a fraction of the power consumption.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Nobody yet touched upon the great Govt Digital swindle? Lets upgrade the nation's modus operandii, scrap tens of thousands of perfectly good tv sets, addoing to landfill sites and CO2 emissions (if you believe that bollocks) as people drive to the tip.
On the other hand HMG gets 17.5% vat off new stuff. Well they have to pay for Yemen somehow don't they?

And no I don't feel the need for a newer bigger TV. I had a 37", I bought a new 37". I would rather the TV was not the focal point of the room.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nobody yet touched upon the great Govt Digital swindle? Lets upgrade the nation's modus operandii, scrap tens of thousands of perfectly good tv sets, addoing to landfill sites and CO2 emissions (if you believe that bollocks) as people drive to the tip.
Yup, and now HD as well, so all those replacement tv's and the digital boxes you bought are all destined for the scrap pile. Not sure I buy into the govt swindle thing as it's largely driven by industry pressure, but it's definitely a waste and emissions nightmare.

And it all looks like shit anyway because nothing is broadcast in the same aspect ratio as the screen shape :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm with Jonny on this. I see no conflict in running a v8 ( and giving it a bit of stick), it's not like your driving it all day every day, whereas many people have their tv on for many hours everyday. Switch it off and mess with the car and tell everyone your offsetting your energy use:tup:
However I think I might draw the line at a Prius..:tdown:

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
I'm definatley in the "why buy a new one if the old still works" camp. I hate waste in any form. we had a b&w portable from the 70s in the kitchen which still worked fine 'till the digital switchover in November.
When I took it to the tip there was a huge container full of recent model tellys, both crt and flat screen which probably worked fine with a freeview box.

I also don't see the sense in spending £500 on a telly when the programmes aren't worth a fiver.

Can't live without a decent sound system though.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
Whats all the panic about - if you have anything with a 'Freeview' facility then you already have a 'digital' capability! so will still be able to watch after the big 'switchoff' - LED screens, Plasma sceens - none of them, repeat none of them have yet to show any significant picture improvement over an good quality 'old' CRT television for the outlay (excepting perhaps with HD transmissions) - its all a huge marketing hype to sell you more expensive TV's, and you all fell for it! It will be interesting to see how good future OLED tv's will be.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
LED screens, Plasma sceens - none of them, repeat none of them have yet to show any significant picture improvement over an good quality 'old' CRT television .
got to disagree with you there about the picture quality between my old 32" crt and our newer 40" tv, its a much better picture

although i have a very old sony crt projector in the loft gives out a 72" picture an is far better than and modern projector ive seen

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
got to disagree with you there about the picture quality between my old 32" crt and our newer 40" tv, its a much better picture

although i have a very old sony crt projector in the loft gives out a 72" picture an is far better than and modern projector ive seen
Is the old CRT TV a 'quality' TV - and yes some of the better (and pro rata 'kin expensive) LED & Plasma's are improving - but few are up to where a good medium sized Sony (for example) CRT was several years ago. And the bigger the sceen the more apparent the lack of picture definition becomes - whats the point of having a 50" screen in a 10' x 10' room?

·
Registered
999 Posts
is it just me, or does anyone else always find themselves looking into buying themselves a new plasma tv? about a year ago i sold my 32" plasma to my sister as i bought myself a new 37" samsung plasma. now i find myself getting the urge to buy myself a 50" samsung plasma. think its because my 37" looks small on my new ikea tv unit:pmsl: anybody else always buying new tech toys for themself?
Yeah, I'm with you on this, if you have worked hard then why not treat yourself to what you fancy/enjoy.

We have a 42", which we have had for about 4 -5 years now, would never consider going smaller. I would like a larger TV, but don't have the house/room to match.

There are some pretty amazing TV's out there now & reasonably priced compared to what they were a few years back.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts