Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the renewall for the AA £230 for the family plan what a increase was £130 last year. after a lengthy phone call and was going to cancel got it back to £130, just goes to show how they hope you don't check.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
i got the same last yeat my first time was £73 then the next year came it was £135.72 with relay £60.79 and roadside £74.93 so i called up on 14 aug, i said i wanted to cancel cuz i feel i can repair it myself as i do this with my scooters (lambretta's) and they tryed to stop me from cancelling then i asked how much just for relay he replied with £89 something ??? i still said cancel about 10 times and asked if it was automatic renewal he said no and he said he will call me near the time 1th sep so being nice i let him cuz i was gonna roar at him
so it was the 15th i thought nothing off it so i opened my letters thru the post and one by the aa saying

dear mr phipps
we are writing to you because it has come to our attention that we incorrectly communicated with you about your renewal
blah blah blah bullshit blah:bla:
this letter was incorrect and we have now automatically collected your money ???? robbing bastards

SO they cant listen and they rob as i see it its theft i never gave permision

so i called the fuckers moaned demanded and threated legal action and got my money back had to wait two weeks thou :woohoo:
RANT OVER 8)

·
DarkSide Imaging
1,239 Posts
Last quote i had was for £130, i've been towed home twice in ten years and both times i had the caravan on
the back. Both times i had to argue the toss with some idiot in their control centre to let the guy doing the
recovery (who were great btw) to drop my van off at the compound (8miles away) before dropping the car off.

Went with mayday through the caravan club, they'll tow me to the ruddy site and pick me up after the holiday
if i like. No problem dropping the van off and that was £117..

Oh, and the last time i did get towed home it was over 10 hours from phoning the AA to getting the car off the
transporter at home, we were 73 miles away.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Won't go near em.
They will get renewal payment even if the your cc has expired.
Going back a bit, nearly 30 years. My uncle went went missing whilst serving overseas (army) AA refused to stop taking his membership fee's for over 5 years until he was declared officially dead.

·
Registered
661 Posts
both my dad and I had our AA renewals through just before christmas, both £130ish.... after a thread on here last year, i encouraged my dad to query it (cheaper on internet for new members, etc) and surprise surprise after the operator had a very very brief 'conversation with his supervisor', he got recovery complimentary as he had been a member 13 years, and a note to say it'll always be complimentary!! so down to £59. strangely when i rang a week later i got exactly the same deal :)

They will get renewal payment even if the your cc has expired.
yup, they did that with me last year! i was waiting for the 'card doesn't work' call to query the price!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had the same years ago with "AD Flux" as after my 1st year with a yank (beretta 2.2 4 pot) the renewal was the same as the 1st year even with 1 years ncb so went else where and halved the renewal

·
Banned
211 Posts
I went with Tesco. And was surprised as they were about 50% of the AA and RAC quotes

Now all the renewals are done direct with RAC and they are contracted to supply the service.

IAn

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,657 Posts
Changed our aa cover to single car now but when it was 2 driver breakdown & relay the online price was around £90 for both the aa & rac,
But as others said the renewal was much higher,
Ours was around £140-150,
I'd phone up and simply say i'd like to renew but at less than the online price as i was an existing customer,
Tell them to speak to their boss if necessary but if they could'nt do that price i'd be off to the rac,
Amazing how they always drop the price when they think you'll leave?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm with RH Insurance on both my GMC 2500 truck and my 1999 Astra, both have full European breakdown cover. £140 for the truck & £240 for the Astra ( Only high because I wrote my other car off this year!)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Wife had AA for about 10 years with her transit. First time she went to use it they said they cont cover commercials on the deal she had but knew she had a fucking transit as it was on the screen.

Then I hit some bricks dropped from a lorry on the A1 and blew 2 tyres. I changed one then called them to help. Bitch on the phone told me I had had a road traffic accident and if I check my contract with them they dont come out to accidents. Fucking cunt bitch.

I wouldn't use the aa now if they were the last emergency service on earth.

Got RAC with the bike. Told an operator I had an electrical issue. Bloke phones up in 10 minutes and says "I'll pop round my mates as he has a bike trailer just in case". 1/2 hour later he turns up takes the bike to repair shop taking me with him so I can check the bike with the shop, brings me home. Excellent service.

Can't fault the breakdown service with classic line insurance either.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
I had my works van recovered from the M25 just before the A13 turn off earlier this year, by the AA. ( i'm covered for any vehicle, apparently. No problem, said the girl on the phone), They also recovered my race box from the A12. No problem, mind you i told the girl on the phone it was a caravan. (£160 roadside recovery, purchased to cover my camper)
Wont leave without some form cover now. Just took them up on the £10 offer to include any family member

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Why not open a Lloyds/TSB Platinum account and get AA cover incl homestart and recovery for free? Did this about 10 years ago, used it a couple of times,absolutely no problems with the AA at all.

I have to say that the recovery service through Classicline is superb, only used it once to get back from the Euronats. Eclipse Recovery in Canterbury were the nuts,got us home quickly and even stopped to get us a coffee on the way!!

Gary.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Why not open a Lloyds/TSB Platinum account and get AA cover incl homestart and recovery for free? Did this about 10 years ago, used it a couple of times,absolutely no problems with the AA at all.

I have to say that the recovery service through Classicline is superb, only used it once to get back from the Euronats. Eclipse Recovery in Canterbury were the nuts,got us home quickly and even stopped to get us a coffee on the way!!

Gary.
its not free £8 a week i beileve

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
I posted a thread in rants about this a few months ago, my AA renewal came in at double the original price, didn't give them any second chances, as I believe loyalty should count for something, I have never ever called them out and they wanted double, no chance, cancelled the direct debit as soon as the last payment went out, went with RAC, half the price and they tell me that they will give me a no claims discount next year if I don't actually have to use them.
On the subject of bank accounts giving you breakdown cover, had my bank trying to shove this useless policy down my throat along with phone and pc, camera insurance etc, there is a monthly charge, AND when you read the small print, the recovery part of it only covered 10 miles, then you have to pay extra for any other miles carried. Be warned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts