Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Computer experts I need your help. I've got an old PC that's taking up space, before I take it to the tip I want to clear the memory properly. What's the best way do this?

I've seen sites offering a dowload that can apparently do this but it's not an option with the PC in question 'cause the modem's knackered (one of the reasons I stopped using it).

Surley it's possible to re-format the hard disk with no external software. Basically I want to make sure any data on there is put beyond use.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

·
20th Century Schizoid Man
101 Posts
Data is only stored on the hard drive. Just take it out. If you want to 'disable' the hard drive, hit it with a big hammer. It will be 'beyond use'.

·
My name is Martin
2,615 Posts
remove this

and tap it hard with a sledge hammer

·
20th Century Schizoid Man
101 Posts
Big hammer wins then :bigsmile:

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oooh taking things appart, sounds fun, especially without the need to remember how to put it back together again.

I'm not going to use it as back-up memory in case there's any bugs /viruses etc on it.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,138 Posts
On the same subject a mate has several laptops on ' hire' .Before they go back he wants to wipe all info from the hard drives so can anyone recommend a programme ( preferably free :tup: )

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
I was under the impression that although you can wipe and delete anything from the hard drive, it will always be retrievable to those with the right kit? Hence the consensus to smash it.
Where's El Landlord when you need him?

·
My name is Martin
2,615 Posts
When you delete something it just put's a marker that a file can be overwritten. The data is still there until it is overwritten with new stuff.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
You want to run something like this on it --> http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Basically as 30psi says. Once you delete something all it does is remove the file pointer on the disk that tells the OS something is there. Over time the sectors get written over and recovery becomes 'difficult'.

What the tool above does is to write 1s and 0s over the entire content of the disk to make it harder to get the data back. Do it a few times and then it's very f'kin difficult.

Jez, bugs & viruses only live in the data not the hardware. Active ones have tied into the operating system so are triggered by the OS. Putting the disk into another machine would make any 'active' virus dormant until the file was accessed again however formatting the disk and using in another machine will wipe the virus so the disk is perfectly safe to use in any other machine as extra storage or a backup :tup:

For a very reliable data trashing method drill a hole in the casing (or remove the top casing to expose the disk platters) make a funnel out of something (pref steel) and pack it with thermite. Add a Magnesium Ribbon candle, light and retire :tup:

The benefit of this method is it's bloody fun :D I'll see if we've still got the videos :lol:

Smashing with a hammer may look like it's done something but the platters are usually well protected so you might not actually damage them. Multiple drill holes around the spindle is likely to have a negative effect on the contents :tup:

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
chuck it on the bonfire cleansing by fire usually kills most things

1 - 12 of 12 Posts