Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
81 - 100 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
ColinHD - Your body shell 'buck' is really taking shape. :cool:

This is the company I used for all my fibreglass supplies.

https://www.glasplies.co.uk/Default.asp

Are you planning to lay large sections of fibreglass matting at a time?

As one of the problems I had was the 'pot life' of the resin when the catalyst was added.

If you are laying smaller sections at a time you will need to overlap the matting to avoid weak spots at the joins.

… Should be able to get a smooth enough finish with that…
In the end, I just accepted that the overlapping of the matting would give the structure strength.

Then filler and paint would hide the mess underneath. ;)

Here is an example of how I build my scuttle up from scratch…

You can see the lumpy nature of the overlapping here:

But it looked a lot better by the time I'd reached this stage.

Also, you have the option of building the body shell using a few layers like Scottie suggested for the 'sunny side'.

Then, once the body shell is removed, you can add extra layers of matting on the underside.

As no one will notice the different thicknesses of matting there.

Hope that helps and good luck, Paul. :)

PS
With hindsight I would have bought a ton of disposable brushes and not tried to keep them clean with acetone.

Although, the acetone would still be handy to clean the rollers which are great for getting air bubbles out.

·
See, I told you I was sic
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Cheers Paul, slowly taking shape.
Although today I had a couple of hours free, before I had to catch the Train and also realised that I was probably trying too hard to copy somebody else's car and not make my own!

This was never going to be a 'clone' so have altered the front to make it my design!

Attachments

Reactions: Special When Lit

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Will only be laying up small patches at a time, with plenty of overlaps.
Had planned on adding some strategic strengthening on the inside, once I'd turned it over.

Trying to clean paint brushes is hard work!!
Got some cheap ones off EvilBay.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Will only be laying up small patches at a time, with plenty of overlaps.
Had planned on adding some strategic strengthening on the inside, once I'd turned it over.

Trying to clean paint brushes is hard work!!
Got some cheap ones off EvilBay.
i used to buy disposable 2" ones from ebay till i noticed the fibreglass place sells then in boxes of 12

resin popsicle anyone

·
Rod'a'holic
1,089 Posts
Use a 6" metal roller to squeeze out the air bubbles and be sure to wet between layers of mat as once it is painted you will get bubbles once the sun gets on it.

If you are doing small areas at as time do not leave it too long to do the next area, once the fibreglass fully sets in a couple of days you no longer get a chemical bond between the different sections.

Even the disposable brushes can be cleaned in acetone, I use them a few times before throwing away, I have a pot of dirty acetone for cleaning then a wash out with clean to finish off, which then goes into the dirty pot ( bugs me to throw brushes away).

Acetone 5 Litres from Ebay

Resin etc from cfsnet.co.uk

Looking good, when you have finished this you will be addicted to making allsorts just like Scottie and I.

You are not even at 1) The itchy phase 2) fibreglass splinter stage yet and you will drive your other half mad dropping strands of mat everywhere you go in the house.

·
Administrator
10,416 Posts
Yoe can get the Acetone from cfsnet.co.uk as well. I get syringes to use for adding the hardener - far easier for measuring and use the liquid hardener, not the paste stuff as it mixes so much better. I still have nearly every disposable brush from all my glassing - acetone cleans them perfectly. Wear nitrile gloves when working with it (ebay) for totally clean hands - nitrlie is acetone resistant so they dont dissolve.

PS, use as little resin as possible -the strength is in the matting, not the resin. Keep rollering to ensure full wetting rather than adding resin.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
you will drive your other half mad dropping strands of mat everywhere you go in the house.
I've been getting enough grief for the plaster & vermiculite everywhere!!

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Had a good day out in the sun!
Got several small areas to tidy up, but generally that's the body/buck finished.

Attachments

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
It really is quite simple, just a matter of piling the gloop on and then carving it to the desired shape, simples!!

Attachments

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Slapped some grey primer on it today, but still messing with that darn grille!!
Hoping to fibreglass next weekend, then let it sit for a week (good excuse for me to go to the Drive in Day at Beaulieu:tup:) before knocking all the crap out from underneath/inside.

Attachments

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Knocked up a couple of resin rollers in preparation for glassin at the weekend, work out about £2 each.
Mini Roller (1x roller handle, 3x rollers & 1x tray) from ScrewFu*ks - 99p
Washers enough to make three rollers from Wilko - £2.99

Attachments

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Oh dear! Went looking through my stuff for something and have now realised I might have too much Roth stuff!!
Hey Spencer, you want me to send you all these models?????

Attachments

Reactions: SpencerMoparFan

·
Registered
491 Posts
Colin - The good news is that you are now building the model in 1:1 scale. :cool:

Given the fact that you are going to layer matting over this body shell, I'd be tempted to cover it in cling film/parcel tape/something else that fibreglass doesn't stick to.

That way, when you come to "knocking all the crap out", it might come off in chunks.

Good luck, Paul. :)

PS
Love the home made resin rollers. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Oh dear! Went looking through my stuff for something and have now realised I might have too much Roth stuff!!
As a misunderstood country kid attempting to build rod back then I couldn't get enough of his stuff, cos he understood! :D

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Cheers Paul, didn't think about the 1:1 thing, but yeah!!
Spent the last couple of days laying wax on the darn thing, so shouldn't stick!

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
As a misunderstood country kid attempting to build rod back then I couldn't get enough of his stuff, cos he understood! :D
Can't agree more with that statement!!
Not sure when or where I first became aware of Roth, but was soon hooked and have been a fan ever since.

Reactions: chaley and 28Chevy
81 - 100 of 458 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.