Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here had experience of one going off?
How powerful are they?

Reason I'm asking is it occurred to me today that if your hand was at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel, would an airbag
smash your arm/hand into your face hard enough to break something.

I tend to drive quite alot with my right hand at 12 o'clock.

·
Registered
930 Posts
There was a video on YouTube where a guy sat on one when it was let off. Sent him flying, so pretty powerful.
I did see something a couple of weeks ago where someone got a busted nose from hitting themself in the face when an airbag went off.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Don't really understand why you would drive with your hand at 12 oclock, but, yes they will rocket your arm/hand at your face, makes me laugh at the amount of women who sit right up against the steering wheel, they are the ones who suffer the most when an airbag deploys. I think they deploy at about a hundred miles an hour, but because they deflate just as fast they are designed to catch/cushion your head as it throws forward.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
A lady friend in the states broke her arm when hers went off.
Because some states do not make wearing a seatbelt law, airbags are a bit more powerful to reduce injury. :eek:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I set one off when building a banger and it did go off with a big bang and was really fast. I would of thought it would do harm if you were to close. I wear glasses and reckon it would of smashed them in to my face if I hade of been in the car. filled the inside up with smoke as well. as you said I drive with my arm at 12 o clock as well.

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
yes in feb 2005 i was in an accident when a car hit the one i was driving almost head on and all the air bags went off steering wheel / side bags.
and i still suffer to this day now being slightly deaf on one side and my son was only 15 months old luckily he was strapped in his seat in the rear.
point of impact was just to the right of the nearside headlamp.
pictures were taken at a police compound (indoor lighting was crap)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Don't really understand why you would drive with your hand at 12 oclock, but, yes they will rocket your arm/hand at your face, makes me laugh at the amount of women who sit right up against the steering wheel, they are the ones who suffer the most when an airbag deploys. I think they deploy at about a hundred miles an hour, but because they deflate just as fast they are designed to catch/cushion your head as it throws forward.
Because it's comfy...:D Try it.
I don't think I've done the 10 to 2 thing since my test.
Tried it the other day and it felt totally alien.

For me it's generally a combo of left arm on door, hand at 9 o'clock.
Right or left arm in lap with hands at 5 or 7 o'clock.
Right hand at 12 o'clock.

To be fair I generally cruise around, I'm not a lane 3, foot in the carpet kinda driver.

Occasionally I will 'demonstrate' the truck to someone and that will find me with both hands on the wheel.

Thanks for the input about the bags fellas.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
When they deploy the "smoke" is a powder that stops the bag sticking together and allows it to slide over your skin

A friend of ours got badly injured in America amongst other injuries were a broken arm from being hit by the passenger air bag and 1st degree burns to her face, chest and arms so she looked like she had really bad sunburn but without blisters, all her affected skin peeled off over the next 2 or 3 days

And yes I think your arm and face would be damaged by driving at the 12 o clock position

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
A bit off topic but last week i passed a 14 plate bmw that had been in an altercation with a tractor, how many F****ng airbags are there in them beamers it looked to me there were front and rear bags and also side bags all deployed , there didnt seem much room for any occupants as the whole of the cabin looked to be full of half inflated bags.

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
I see a fair number of front seat passengers especially in summer with bare feet up on dashboard. In the event of an air bag deflation do they realise that thier legs will be forced up their arses?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dont know if its true or not but when the firm i worked for swapped over to Volvo trucks we were warned that if the drivers went off and we were not wearing a seat belt it would probable cause a broken neck , having read a lot of injurys from them i can well believe it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts