what bags? belowes or sleeve type?

any pics would help...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xjs axle.
shockwaves thought about but recon they a bit to big a diameter.
Thanks barclay thats the way i was thinking..... would a pic be to much to ask at some point?

cheers

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks 'Nobody' you mean like this..........

considering this option too....

I know what you mean re single rear as was concerend that the load on one side of the lower arm may cause stress to it.... as it will be on my transit van that i will tow with too.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts

I know what you mean re single rear as was concerend that the load on one side of the lower arm may cause stress to it.... as it will be on my transit van that i will tow with too.
That's a really good way of doing it.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,125 Posts

If I were doing it I'd add a gusset to the bridging piece , just looks a little slender for purpose to me, especially as you are using on the van.? You'll want to see some clearance on total deflation as well so as not to cause brake discs to jam up or hose to crimp ie so it's still drivable with a fully deflated bag.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks.....
Kev I was thinking about the extra gusset as the one in the pic looks a little slim.
also would it need some sort of stay to keep it vertical?

·
Premium Member
7,459 Posts
do you not need a shock absorber with air-bags then? That one above looks good.

Gary.
you do
the picture has one in it.its hiding behind the bag.

that set up looks like its on some sort of tee so little weight,but id be inclined to make the lowr bracket a bit beefier

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
if you look carefully the front bracket is in an upside down 'v' shape with one leg going what looks like towards where the tie rod bolts on. that should (and i'm sure does) provide the extra bracing it needs to stop the bag mount flapping side to side.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been studying this and have come up with the way forward... [I think]

lower mounts would be urethane bushed ,,, to lower arm. probably tube uprights with gussets as metioned, to prevent side ways movement an rose jointed link across to the hub at the same height as the driveshaft, this would keep the bracket at the same vertical angle as the hub [bit like a four bar link] mine would poss have the shock at the rear in the normal place normal, would just need to machine up a new bottom bolt to suit. Now just need to draw it out and work out how much clearence for the drive shaft. have spoken to the airkit supplier and he has given me the specs etc .... hopefully it will all work out ok, will be building two sets at the same time as going to convert a mates jag suspended car too and he has the same room as I do....

cheers for you input guys....

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Personally I think that set up looks horrible. Jag rears look good if uncluttered as the simplicity of the design is what makes it so aesthetically pleasing.
Depending on what space you have available I would use a bell crank and get the bag out of sight. This would also let you have a direct push on the bag without the angle that the arcing Jag wishbone will give you.Bags could be mounted horizontally...they don't care.

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
or make a shiny stainless/chrome plated shroud/hood that covered the bag. it could be made no lower than the bottom of the bag when at full drop to give driveshaft clearance but would improve the looks no end.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts