Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
capriac
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here installed non standard air con into their rides? What are the problems, prices, etc. I know vintage air are supposed to be good, are there any more out there? Regards Terry

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just to bring this one ot the top..

Been looking into this, still not 100% sure.

The CBS kit linked above is about £680 once you buy the condenser, I did a quick search on vintage air stuff at summit racing and reckon you can put together one of their systems (less the hoses) for less.
very roughly:
Evaporator $410
Nice switch panel $160
Drier/trinary valve $60
Condensor $140
= $770, or about £520.

The only thing this CBS kit includes is some hose ends, which might/might not be of any use.

Granted you have to get it shipped, but theres several people bringing stuff in from the states now.

I'm just figuring out the install in the car and if I need a fan for the condenser or not..

Obviously if VA do a kit for your car then you can get one of those, I think they are about $1200 and include a compressor and some vehicle specific bits and bobs.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,752 Posts
Mate has a Vintage Air system in his 32. Car is well insulated and well built. To be honest it has trouble overcoming the heat from the engine bay so he ends up with the windows open which defeats the purpose.
I do think things were a lot different when we could use R12. 134 is nowhere near as cold.

·
Premium Member
5,829 Posts
Just to bring this one ot the top..

Been looking into this, still not 100% sure.

The CBS kit linked above is about £680 once you buy the condenser, I did a quick search on vintage air stuff at summit racing and reckon you can put together one of their systems (less the hoses) for less.

very roughly:
Evaporator $410
Nice switch panel $160
Drier/trinary valve $60
Condensor $140
= $770, or about £520.

The only thing this CBS kit includes is some hose ends, which might/might not be of any use.

Granted you have to get it shipped, but theres several people bringing stuff in from the states now.

I'm just figuring out the install in the car and if I need a fan for the condenser or not..

Obviously if VA do a kit for your car then you can get one of those, I think they are about $1200 and include a compressor and some vehicle specific bits and bobs.
It's not the shipping that will sting, you will have to pay import duty on the cost of parts and freight and then vat on top of that!!
The vat on your £520 knocks it up to £611 before factoring in the freight and import duty.

·
1972 Formula 350 owner
673 Posts
It's not the shipping that will sting, you will have to pay import duty on the cost of parts and freight and then vat on top of that!!
The vat on your £520 knocks it up to £611 before factoring in the freight and import duty.
Definately something to watch out for! Got stung up £200 import duty on a $750 digital dakota dial set the other year from the states and that was without any of the postage etc! :crazy:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Duty can be a problem, but if you use one of the people who run a shipping service (Russ Pepper for example) I think you'll find it works out cheaper than bringing bits in yourself with regards to duty etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.