Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone on here supply air ride type stuff as i am looking for an air bag kit for the rear of my astro ..
just want to lift it up a bit for towing as it seems to bottom out when towing the caravan when going over some holes on our lovely smooth highways:incheek::incheek:

·
Fat Handed Twat
201 Posts
I looked at all the options and in the end put air shocks on my 57 cadillac for towing the airstream.
Too less than an hour to fit. Pump em up via a hidden schrader valve once the caravan is on and it transforms the handling.
No wallowing or bottoming out.
They cost me less than a hundred quid including delivery from the US.
Ideal if you aren't looking to modify your car but just want to beef up the rear end when necessary.
Glen's tip on Range Rover assisters is good, but the air shocks are easier ( depending on your application, of course)

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
I had the same issue and I can't remember where I've seen it but I had a feature on a rear air shock conversion someone had done for towing. It was a real nice tidy set up using one of those little air compressors you blow tyres up with. He'd taken it apart and mounted the small tank in the back and the pressure dial and switch in a little panel under the dash. It looked really trick and didn't cost a lot of money. I'll see if I can find the article for you.

Dan:smoke:

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks dan

at one stage i was going to sell the van as i don't use it much but we decided to hang on to it as it's a good tow vehicle for our caravan ..

we put coil over shocks on it some years ago for towing so maybe they have given up will have a good look this week also going to check the bump stops just in case they are worn..

i have been looking on rockauto's site and they have air shocks at £42 a pair and a small compressor for £102
so i might go that way

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Just had a look through my laptop and got a feeling I've deleted it when I had my laptop recently cleaned down. I'm pretty sure it was on the HAMB. It was a really simple and cheap set up but really trick. The guy bought a decent little compressor that you'd use for tyres/airbeds etc. He had mounted the main tank assembly in a small boxed area in the rear and carperted it to match the boot area. He extended the gauge and switch and ran it to a natty panel under the dash. The guy just hit the switch when it was time to tow, maintaining it's original ride height. If I remember it was a reasonably low Kustom that was towing a small camper as I had an Amazon cruiser of sorts at the time and had similar issues to you when towing my small pimped out caravan.

·
Registered
595 Posts

This was mine for many years and it ran adjustable air shocks with the leaf springs. worked fine pulling anything or loaded with 4 kids and luggage to st Tropez and back..

·
Fat Handed Twat
201 Posts
thanks dan

at one stage i was going to sell the van as i don't use it much but we decided to hang on to it as it's a good tow vehicle for our caravan ..

we put coil over shocks on it some years ago for towing so maybe they have given up will have a good look this week also going to check the bump stops just in case they are worn..

i have been looking on rockauto's site and they have air shocks at £42 a pair and a small compressor for £102
so i might go that way
Only problem you'll have with a built in compressor, is you have to carry it on board all the time and mount it permanently.
If you own one of those battery jumper / tyre inflators, or a portable tyre inflator, ( I use a tiny rechargeable "Airman" inflator the size of a coke can) just take it with you to pump up the shocks, you don't need an on board compressor, the air shocks from rock auto etc usually come with some thin tubing and a schrader valve.
If you mount the valve out of the way ( mine went next to the number plate light but it could go behind the bumper or anywhere easy to get to but out of sight) you can just put the caravan on and inflate the shocks via the valve until the car levels out. The shocks aren't like airbags, they should just stay up until you unhitch the van. ( mine are so effective I have to let them down a bit to unhitch). Then when you are hitched up again, just re inflate them.
It works for me, and it's now just part of my routine when I couple the car to the caravan.
They're so effective, i came home from York Drags a couple of weeks ago and because I'm so near, I didn't bother re- inflating. All the way home it drove like shit, until I stopped and put some air in and it was back to normal. Maximum difference for small outlay. Hope you find a solution that works for you. Cheers, Simon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts