Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best out there. Sorry if its been done, but the wife has offered to buy me one. I've heard that there's some dodgy ones out there.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
dunno how much you wanna pay but Argos do a Clarke version for like £80 ? They're smaller than the Alley Jax types so may not be up big stuff, but good thing is if it goes tits up,you just chop it in at Argos and get your money back.

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
pal of mine uses one he got from costco,
its used full time in a homebased business repairing and servicing cars and light vans. i know he dosnt take any prisoners and its lasted him so far so good.. had it 18 months at least.

im going to treat myself to one.. think there about £80. in costco.

hope thats helpfull.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I used mine today, it lifted the front of a Mustang no prob. I bought it from Pervy Pete about £70, he's on here I think.

Rog.

·
My name is Martin
2,610 Posts
There's some shit old chinese ones which I think are unbranded. They fall apart coz the bolts loosen off, I saw someones car collapse using one at a car show, but fortunately the owner didn't have his face under it at the time :roll:

That said, I should expect the Clarke one to meet certain standards

·
Registered
899 Posts
the clarke ones a pile of crap. had 3 in as many weeks, all replaced on warranty, all started leaking fluid. with the third one i took it out the box, jacked up the front of a VW passat, it was on the jack for less than a minute whilst i whipped off one wheel and slotted on another, and before id even let it back down it had left a puddle of oil under the jack! uninpressed was an understatement.............jsut got a refund and went back to using the wedgecut railway sleeper-drive-on approach and a normal height jack.

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
I've got a Costco one, exellent bit of kit for £80
and if your not happy with it for any reason you just take it back in the first twelve months and get a full cash refund.
no questions asked...

btw ive bought several tools/stuff from costco and have never been dissapointed.

·
Stay cool, admit nothing
1,836 Posts
the clarke ones a pile of crap.
Oh dear, I was gonna buy a Clarke one! According to the catalogue, they go down to 79 mm which is handy.

Anyone know how low the Costco one goes? And do you still have to be a registered trader to shop at Costco?

Cheers

Jez

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh dear, I was gonna buy a Clarke one! According to the catalogue, they go down to 79 mm which is handy.

Anyone know how low the Costco one goes? And do you still have to be a registered trader to shop at Costco?

Cheers

Jez
Just measured mine, just under 90mm.

I've got trade membership through my wife's business, but I think you can get public membership quite easily. It's well worth it for car stuff & tools etc.

·
I am with the dark side..
129 Posts
Ive had the lowline aluminium Clarke jobby for a year and its been great - no problems at all.
Gets under the front axle of the roadster which is 95mm off the deck easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts