Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....

I'm suspicious that my V8 Capri isn't as good at cooling as it could be. It's using the usual Rover 3.5.

It currently uses some form of VW radiator (possibly diesel Golf).

Room is very tight.

I'm tempted to pop in a fancy aluminium/alloy "race" radiator that promises the world and is for the same VW.

I've done a fair bit of searching and can't find anything that compares modern OEM radiators to the aluminium "race" type (only managed to find stuff about aluminium vs old-school copper).

Are they actually any good? Will it give me any cooling assistance or confidence?

Cheers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't get hung up on the material, it's the size and number of cores which governs how well it dissipates heat.
I was thinking the same, but all of the generic adverts seem to quote around 40% improved cooling, but never seem to back up how they achieve it. It's not an area I've ever bothered with in the past, but thought it could be an easy quick hit to improve things.....I just can't find anything anywhere that goes into any detail or comparison.... I'm only looking at ebay for the cheap Chinese copies (as I don't want to spend a fortune and have had good experience with similar things in the past).

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
I was thinking the same, but all of the generic adverts seem to quote around 40% improved cooling, but never seem to back up how they achieve it. It's not an area I've ever bothered with in the past, but thought it could be an easy quick hit to improve things.....I just can't find anything anywhere that goes into any detail or comparison.... I'm only looking at ebay for the cheap Chinese copies (as I don't want to spend a fortune and have had good experience with similar things in the past).
there's bound to be a rad off the shelf which will do the job, albeit maybe with rad pipe changes. Maybe PM Kapri on here, I seem to recall Kev mentioning he worked for a manufacturer, so might have some technical knowledge on sizing versus engine displacement etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.