Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 5 years away I finally got my 57 home on Wednesday. A long story but after 5 years of being very, very, VERY patient with my painter:wanker: and after a string of broken promises and attempts at overcharging I called it a day in August and took my car back unfinished. Luckily Tony Gabriel at Bodytone was able to take it on at very short notice and finish it off so a big thanks to him. First job was to get the doors aligned again which went OK, clean it all down to get all the bodyshop crud off and down to bolting on some new stuff :D
Al
Full photo history is on the link at the bottom, needs editing down once I get time...

http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab129/alansnell/ALS57 BUILDUP/ALS57/

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Bob, I will trim those pipes :)
I bought the 57 in Tucson AZ in September 89. It was owned by a guy that ran a bodyshop. It was white when I found it and had it painted matador red while I was there and drove it to LA two weeks later to ship it back to Felixtow. It was original apart from a 327 + TH350. I ran it into the ground until 2004 when it was time to restore it and I'd then built a decent garage to do it. I was going to put it back to original spec but changed my mind wanting decent power brakes, power steering so built a 383, with a TH400 and Ford 9". I want the exterior to look stock hence the steels. I'll post some old shots when it was in the States when I find them. I can divulge my tedious paintshop experience via pm if anyone wants to know the [email protected] involved.
Al

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
patience :smoke: you must have been in a coma
Looks great
hope its not another 5 years before you get to drive it
:tup:

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,454 Posts
5 years is a long time!
my last car spent 6 months in the shop before they started, then it was all completed in about three weeks once they started. its a good feeling once its back home as you can now plan the work and get it completed.
hope all goes smoothly from here

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I paint aircraft for a living, we can strip the fuse rub the wings engines and fin

paint it and give it back to the customer in 7 days so what the f**k were

they pissing about at

Stunning car though can't wait to see the finished car always loved the 57 :smoke:Jeff

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
I paint aircraft for a living, we can strip the fuse rub the wings engines and fin

they pissing about at

Stunning car though can't wait to see the finished car always loved the 57 :smoke:Jeff
It might have been back quicker if you'd have done it Jeff, but not everyone wants their car white and orange with "easyjet" written down the side! :D

·
Desparado
7,337 Posts
It might have been back quicker if you'd have done it Jeff, but not everyone wants their car white and orange with "easyjet" written down the side! :D
Lol, Orange is always good !

Looking nice Al, cant wait to see it.
I love the 383 ect in a street sleeper stock looker :tup:. Nothing stock looking about mine tho :D
Looks like your running a similar set up to me . . . . could be interesting when there both finished.
What you doing with the interior ? Stock covers ect ?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

they pissing about at

Thanks Jeff, yep piss artists do piss around and I was dealing with world class piss artistry.

And cheers Steve, looking forward to seeing that orange too, I trust you'll have matching jacket and deck chairs for maximum impact?
I'm going for black "cloud" and red stock interior, always liked tri chevy stock interiors and had a silver and red convertible pattern for 15 years so time for a change. How about you, orange?:eek:
Al

·
Desparado
7,337 Posts
Thanks Jeff, yep piss artists do piss around and I was dealing with world class piss artistry.

And cheers Steve, looking forward to seeing that orange too, I trust you'll have matching jacket and deck chairs for maximum impact?
I'm going for black "cloud" and red stock interior, always liked tri chevy stock interiors and had a silver and red convertible pattern for 15 years so time for a change. How about you, orange?:eek:
Al
Orange jacket, deck chairs & interior !! :eek: I'd look a right jaffa in that, lol.
Going for a black subtle slightly modded interior on mine Al, the outsides loud enough on it own !
I thought about black & orange 150 style cobblestone, after seeing a camaro in Hot Rod with a white & green cobblestone. But thought it might be a bit too much. Tho a lot of my inspiration came from the 2 orange 57's that have been in Hot Rod over the years (Flashback 57 sedan & Pavement Pounder coupe). & they both had orange & black bel air interiors. :tup:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Orange jacket, deck chairs & interior !! :eek: I'd look a right jaffa in that, lol.
Going for a black subtle slightly modded interior on mine Al, the outsides loud enough on it own !
I thought about black & orange 150 style cobblestone, after seeing a camaro in Hot Rod with a white & green cobblestone. But thought it might be a bit too much. Tho a lot of my inspiration came from the 2 orange 57's that have been in Hot Rod over the years (Flashback 57 sedan & Pavement Pounder coupe). & they both had orange & black bel air interiors. :tup:
Sounds good

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The paint finish has a slight orange peel so I've set to, panel by panel with 2000 wet & dry and buff to get it spot on starting with a rear wing. Came up a treat. I'll slowly work round it as it's boring doing it all in one go.

Also been plumbing the engine before the front end goes on...

Al

1 - 20 of 107 Posts