Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
10,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can people confirm which way around the wiring is for the alty plug?
I assume the label on the alty is showing the connections as viewed as the photo? or is it the opposite and as they exit the alty?

I.E. I think the L (lamp) wire should enter the alty on the right and the P (sense) wire should enter on the left? (Ign switcher wire is centre)

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Are you running the sense wire all the way to the battery, the resistance in the length of cable required will result in a voltage drop so may not work as expected, might be better connecting it to the battery cable on the starter or just looping to the alternator charge wire.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
The sense wire was built into the Painless wiring kit and goes directly to the fuseboard. It's quite a chunky cable?
Looping to alty charge wire will result in lower output (12.5v) - going direct to battery (or fuseboard) should result in 14.7v output - that's the theory anyway!
Actually that is not a bad place for the sense wire as it should detect any drop in voltage caused by the demands of the circuits connected via the fuse box and compensate accordingly as long as you don't experience the problem that Kev had :bigsmile:

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Following on from this, it's all wired in now - but the alty light does not work when I turn the ignition on? It flashes briefly when I turn the ignition on but then goes out?

Any ideas?
Try temporarily replacing the LED with a bulb to see if it works OK with that to eliminate a fault with either the LED/resister or installation.

·
Administrator
10,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris,

If I run the cable to earth the lamp works fine. It flashes briefly when alty turned on (but not running) so it appears the alty is switching it off immediatly?

Kev,

I ran the lamp wire only to alty (without alty ign feed) and no lamp at all then? Which it ought to be as it should be earthed until the alty charges? I'll try it again tonight with the alty ign feed hooked up as well - see if it works then?

When the alty ign feed is energised the alty is hard to turn - but turns easy when off, so it seems the rectifier thingy is working ok?

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
It sounds as though there is voltage on the warning light pin of the alternator, this should only happen once the alternator is energised and it starts charging, that's what makes the light go out as the bulb will be receiving a positive voltage from both the ignition and the alternator. Try disconnecting the cable from the warning light terminal and testing with a multimeter to see if there is any voltage present with the ignition turned on, the terminal should be going to ground. I'm not sure why the alternator should be hard to turn with the ignition turned on because it won't be excited at that stage.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,343 Posts
To make mine work it needed the alternator warning light AND an ignition switched wire wired but NOT the sense wire direct from the battery. Light would then come on when ignition turned on and go off when engine running.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I've checked battery voltage on mine wired as above , when charging, and max is 14.7 .
I have used these jap IR alternators for years and found that without the sense wire connected they will get up to 18volts on a high continuous rev, it may take a few minutes but it will get there. It really is best to run the sense wire back to the battery or you will be popping bulbs and cooking batteries.

Bob

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,343 Posts
I have used these jap IR alternators for years and found that without the sense wire connected they will get up to 18volts on a high continuous rev, it may take a few minutes but it will get there. It really is best to run the sense wire back to the battery or you will be popping bulbs and cooking batteries.

Bob
But it doesnt work when I've connected the sense wire , used 3 on different motors always with the same result? I even took the first one to a local auto electrician to find out if there was a fault and HE said " You need to leave the sense wire off for it to work properly " ? The ignition switched feed came loose on that one later on and THAT fried a couple of fuses and fuel sender.

Strange ...

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
In my woodautos book it lists out the plug configuration of all the alternators with the letter codes. P is an ac stator wire. I cant find that plug configuration in the listings, they are all as in the lower picture.

Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.