Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has this month's copy and could scan the Editorial relating to Andy Saunders and SVA I and ACE would be grateful

Thanks

·
Stroker
5,442 Posts
wondered why it wasn't mentioned on here as it scared the bejesus outta me.
Trying to ignore the legislation stuff at the minute. :(

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wondered why it wasn't mentioned on here as it scared the bejesus outta me.
Trying to ignore the legislation stuff at the minute. :(
We're putting together a press release on the subject.
Lets just say that some people have gone off a little 'Half Cock'
So far Octane magazine have a well reasoned editorial, but that may be because they spoke to us before publishing.

·
Stroker
5,442 Posts
Did you get it?

if not...

All copyrights observed etc

Can the 2012 statement for NEW cars be real?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,022 Posts
Nope, 2012 thing is rubbish. All that happens in 2012 is that all new vehicles, when sold , must comply with EUWVTA ( European Union Whole Vehicle Type Approval ) , which was first started in 1977 .

However if current proposals for new technology to be installed in cars,from 2014 , is passed it will mean that you will not be able to fit different wheels ,oversize tyres , bigger brakes or even body kits as the safety computer won't be able to know the cars position on the road to operate correctly. IE Technology will prevent it rather than a ban .

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/i-was-in-the-back-making-coffee.html

Not forgetting that ISA mandatory ( if the tests go well ) from 2017 ( voluntary from 2010)

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/isa-moves-a-step-closer.html

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/intellige...e-less-thing-to-think-about-when-driving.html

"Tick if modified" box ? Not according to VOSA though they do admit they will be paying closer attention to vehicle identity.

DVLA inspection so ridiculous nothing will pass ? Nope,DVLA don't do safety inspections .They would pull the logbook and send the vehicle fo VOSA for BIVA which Andys Bentley DID pass. I'm shortly attending a BIVA test on a 34 Coupe;)

'Rodding' has never been more appealing :tup:

Attachment courtesy of Mopar :tup:

·
My name is Martin
2,602 Posts
What was the end result for Andy with his Bentley?

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What was the end result for Andy with his Bentley?
It passed and is road legal.
The thing was that Andy 'Fired from the Hip' with E-mails that were sent out to all and sundry, the essence of which is what is in the ACW editorial.
ACE have been firefighting ever since, with the kind of posting that Kev put above.

If nothing else this shows that you need to check your sources and find out the facts of things before just jumping in withn both feet.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It passed and is road legal.
The thing was that Andy 'Fired from the Hip' with E-mails that were sent out to all and sundry, the essence of which is what is in the ACW editorial.
ACE have been firefighting ever since, with the kind of posting that Kev put above.

If nothing else this shows that you need to check your sources and find out the facts of things before just jumping in withn both feet.
The thing with the Bentley is that it IS a modified body shell, roof chopped, and it WAS meant to go for SVA. Nothing has changed to catch him, just that the law finally caught up with him.

The Britchopper forum is full of posts about people getting caught out because their Reliant Regal trike is actually a V8 trike with a tube chassis, and the MOT man is starting to refuse MOTs.

Somebody over there mentioned that there is a 'Is this vehicle standard' box on the MOT screen, but that is a fallacy.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,022 Posts
There's a very genned up woman over on Brit Chopper ( Sooz?) ,down the New Forest way ,who's been saying teh same sort of stuff I have for ages.

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thing with the Bentley is that it IS a modified body shell, roof chopped, and it WAS meant to go for SVA. Nothing has changed to catch him, just that the law finally caught up with him.
Exactly, and what a lot of people don't realise is that there were no categories in SVA that the car could have fitted into without tests that could have cost up to £8000, so it was IVA that allowed the car to be on the road legally.

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
Exactly, and what a lot of people don't realise is that there were no categories in SVA that the car could have fitted into without tests that could have cost up to £8000, so it was IVA that allowed the car to be on the road legally.
whens youre car going in for the test.i take it as one of the ace team you are going to lead by example.

wasnt the bentley tugged as he wanted to swap no plates.no other reason.

thought we were getting our own street rod class.
all the rage a few years back.whats happened with that then.
no big anouncments that its not going ahead.

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
whens youre car going in for the test.i take it as one of the ace team you are going to lead by example.

wasnt the bentley tugged as he wanted to swap no plates.no other reason.

thought we were getting our own street rod class.
all the rage a few years back.whats happened with that then.
no big anouncments that its not going ahead.
Thanks for the comments Wayne..
As we have said several times, it's useful to check your facts before jumping in with both feet.

Yes, you are quite correct that the Bentley was pulled when a change of registration plate was applied for as we have stated elsewhere.
That's not quite what the editorial in ACW which quotes Andy says though is it?.
However, having been flagged up for that it then failed on the 'points' critera for it to be directly issued with a new plate.
That is why it had to go down the BIVA route.
ACE were involved in getting the car through the process.

Again facts not rumors please.

The reason that the Street Rod class did not get off the ground is simply that there was not enough support at the time to actually move that one forward.
Far too many people saying "It'll never happen" I'm afraid.
Therefore we got SVA and, thanks to the work done in the early days SVA is a test that is passable, so is IVA, as several have shown.

On the subject of my car personally, it was first modified in 1988.
It is correctly registered with the original numberplate and the engine and chassis numbers match what is stated on the Log Book, so it will not require a test.
However if you read the last 3 or four issues of CC you will see a Model A pickup put through SVA by Kev Rooney ( A founder member of ACE )

Those articles show all the requirements and how to do it correctly, and should ally any fears you have that ACE are talkers rather than doers.

Obviously, any other questions you have, feel free to ask and we will try to provide the answers.

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
not jumping in with both feet.
simple questions.im asking for facts not stating any.

ref the early days of sva.
this was back in what the late 90,s.
what sort of involvement did you have then and why was nothing ever really mentioned about sva until what say 5 years back when all the scaremongering started.
what happened to the lost years.

back to youre car.
all the suspension and chassis was only altered a couple of years ago,when you turned it into a gasser.
so how can you get away from not putting it through sva.

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
nope has youre car.
im the same as the other 99 percent.
but then im not the face of ace .posting on forums telling folks to get there cars sva,d.and scaremongering.

no mention on this thread about the bently only being pulled because of a number swap.

but then i noticed ace dont do that when the topic crops up instead they like to convince the gullable that sva is the only solution and were all doomed.

lets go back to the street rod class.
what sort of support did it lack.
what the support of the owners of the hundred of so cars built each year that could of taken advantage of it,if it had worked.

at the time we were asked not to contact dvla/vosa direct as it may of hindered the process.
why no big announcement that it failed.

an easy question for ace.

when excactly are we all going to be taken off the road.
its a simple one.
after 5 odd years of listening to the doom and gloom merchants.
a date would be nice.
do i have time for another build

wayne

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not jumping in with both feet.
simple questions.im asking for facts not stating any.

ref the early days of sva.
this was back in what the late 90,s.
what sort of involvement did you have then and why was nothing ever really mentioned about sva until what say 5 years back when all the scaremongering started.
what happened to the lost years.

back to youre car.
all the suspension and chassis was only altered a couple of years ago,when you turned it into a gasser.
so how can you get away from not putting it through sva.
OK, let's get some facts for you Wayne.
We have had this discussion so many times over so many forums.
Ref the 'early days of SVA'.
Are you talking about the origins of Type Approval back in the mid 1970's?
I hope so, because that's where SVA came from and if it had not been for the original campaigners back then SVA would not have happened.
What would have happened is EWVTA (European Whole Vehicle Type Approval) which would have legislated modified and kit cars off the road and potentially called for a 30mph impact test.
Next time you are at a show and you see the ACE stand drop by and we'll show you the magazine articles from Hot Car at the time.
As to what I was personally doing at the time, since I was only 15 I confess to 'Not a lot' apart from signing and distributing the petition that was in Hot Car and writing to my MP asking him for his opinions on the matter.
Sorry if I wasn't manning a barricade somewhere, I had homework to do.
So far as your question of the late 90's I wasn't actually involved in the 'scene' then, too busy having a family etc.
Once I got back into things and became aware of ACE I decided that maybe I could assist somewhere along the lines.

If your question is aimed at ACE, I suggest that you review the History section on the Website and that will tell you all you need to know.

I won't ask your question of you though,

Returning to the gasser.
yes, that is a modification of the original vehicle but, since VOSA have already stated that, providing a vehicle is correctly registered, SVA/BIVA is not retrospective, it does not have to be tested. It is vehicles which are not 'what they claim to be' that run those risks.

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nope has youre car.
im the same as the other 99 percent.
but then im not the face of ace .posting on forums telling folks to get there cars sva,d.and scaremongering.

no mention on this thread about the bently only being pulled because of a number swap.

but then i noticed ace dont do that when the topic crops up instead they like to convince the gullable that sva is the only solution and were all doomed.

lets go back to the street rod class.
what sort of support did it lack.
what the support of the owners of the hundred of so cars built each year that could of taken advantage of it,if it had worked.

at the time we were asked not to contact dvla/vosa direct as it may of hindered the process.
why no big announcement that it failed.

an easy question for ace.

when excactly are we all going to be taken off the road.
its a simple one.
after 5 odd years of listening to the doom and gloom merchants.
a date would be nice.
do i have time for another build

wayne
I don't see anywhere that ACE have told people to "Get their cars SVA'd" Wayne and you know that as well as I do.
As for 'scaremongering', I have challenged you several times to show where ACE could be accused of this.
We are rightly proud that we present facts along with referencable sources and leave the reader to make up their own mind.
If you are suggesting that we have scaremongered that DVLA/VOSA can and will pull log books and force vehicle to go through SVA/BIVA I think you'll find that Andy Saunder's case proves that this CAN happen (Not WILL happen in ALL cases but CAN happen).

Yes, we didn't say, "The Bentley was pulled as part of a numberplate change". partly because that is in the press release that has been sent to ACW but mostly because the posting which I originally made on here was not to discuss the ACW editorial, rather it was to get the text of the article, which I had merely skimmed in the shop, before I sent the press release to ensure that my response was accurate.

I would add here that if you read that editorial, most of which is Andy's own words, that there is a hell of a lot of what could be described as scaremongering which we have already rebutted in this thread.

To answer you 'easy' question.
An Easy answer.
We are not going to be taken off the road and most people recognise that fact and have never suggested it.
However, there will be more hoops to be jumped through and people will need to pay more attention to the documentation on their vehicles than they have done in the past.
What we, at ACE have been doing is highlighting the legislation that is proposed and in the pipeline.

So, there is no cut-off date and you have plenty of time for your next project and several after that, you'll just need to be aware of the legislation that affects your hobby, just like everyone else.

And one of the best sources for that information is The ACE website

1 - 20 of 24 Posts