Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am just re-wiring my truck and just about to look at wiring my 2 x 6 volt wiper motors,

Q, how do I measure the amps draw for these motors,

I have a voltage dropper that is 5 amps,

thanks

·
Administrator
10,032 Posts
You can use a meter to test (loops around the cables & measures amperage when motors running) or if you know the wattage of the motors you can work it out. Watts divided by volts = Amps. So 120 watts divided by 12v = 10Amps.

I would think 15amp wire would be fine - use 20amp if you want to go for belt & braces approach.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If you have bought a volt dropper I assume you are changing to 12 volts from 6 volts supply but if you connect 2 6v motors in series you wouldn't need a volt dropper. Maybe I have missed something here - if so please just ignore my comment. Dave

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
If you have bought a volt dropper I assume you are changing to 12 volts from 6 volts supply but if you connect 2 6v motors in series you wouldn't need a volt dropper. Maybe I have missed something here - if so please just ignore my comment. Dave
In order to wire them in series you'd need to insulate them completely if one of the wires connects to the body of the motor casing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts