Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
useful things,I have 4 n 9" one .................BUT.............the 9 inchers are dangerous suckers, why don't they fit em with a motor break to stop the overrun?............having glanced across my leg with one it aint a whole lot of fun!

·
My name is Martin
2,613 Posts
Yeah I done one across my leg 10 or so years ago. Took a month to heal :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,313 Posts
yep, my left index finger went round inside the guard on my 4 1/2" grinder with a new grinding wheel fitted. took it down to the bone about 1/4" wide, but the skin/flesh grew back in time. just got no feeling that side of my fingertip now, except for hot stuff that now feels like an electric shock.
neil.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yeah, they can be vicious things, but how did we manage without them before? Funny thing with angle grinder sizes. I've a 4" B&D one that's probably thirty/thirty five years or so old that I bought 50/50 with my brother (they must have been expensive back then). Then the norm seemed to be 4½". Now you go into Lidl etc and they sell 125mm (5") ones.

·
Premium Member
14,313 Posts
i couldn't imagine not having grinders, i currently have 4 on the go so i'm not constantly swapping wheels/discs. grinding disc, slitting disc, flap wheel and twist knot wire cup wheel. that's just 4 1/2". also got 2 9", grinding and stone cutting. that's without the 12" petrol disc cutter and the 12" chop saw. mmmmm, do i have a sickness?????

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
it when you put them down on the floor still running and that take off like a bat out of hell across the workshop

75 Posts
yep, my left index finger went round inside the guard on my 4 1/2" grinder with a new grinding wheel fitted. took it down to the bone about 1/4" wide, but the skin/flesh grew back in time. just got no feeling that side of my fingertip now, except for hot stuff that now feels like an electric shock.
neil.
Ouch!!!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I have two a Ryobi cordless one that is brilliant and a cheapo mains powered one (cant remember theh make but they cost about forty quid in the local DIY shop). That ones ok but has a really awkward "safety" button on the switch which probably makes it more dangerous.
I do think that the angle grinder's close relative the power planer is even more dangerous.....(in my hands anyway)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts