Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Its tough Ron and a shame but it's the natural cycle for car companies I'm afraid!

Think about all the great British marques that no longer exsist!

Funnily enough, I just got a '61 Desoto which was the last year for that great name!

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Just been looking at the present day Pontiac range... theyre not very interesting!
If thats the best they can do its no surprise they are not selling too well.
Why is there no modern Firebird Trans Am ?? The Ford Mustang seems to be selling well.

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,455 Posts
Just been looking at the present day Pontiac range... theyre not very interesting!
Why is there no modern Firebird Trans Am ?? The Ford Mustang seems to be selling well.
they tried to revive the GTO, the same as our Vauxhall Monaro, and the Solstice was a great roadster in the MX5 mould.
I guess they just have too many choices within the GM family

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its tough Ron and a shame but it's the natural cycle for car companies I'm afraid!

Think about all the great British marques that no longer exsist!

Funnily enough, I just got a '61 Desoto which was the last year for that great name!
Yep your dead right Stew , a lot of it is due to their own complacency during the late 60's and 70's when the Japs started to get a foothold on the US consumer but the big 3 failed to respond , unfortunately they're now paying a heavy price .

absolutely , if they'd produced a Trans Am as an upmarket stablemate to the Gen 5 Camaro and had them both on sale at the same time Ford introduced their retro Mustang I think they'd have been on to a winner , instead they concentrated on the small truck and suv market .

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
if it does happen, i dont think it will be a big surprise to most people. Been going downhill for quite a while. It was either gonna be Buick or Pontiac to go next

Problem is most of the cars across the GM range are pretty much the same, Pontiac just havnt got an identity anymore. As for the last GTO, it was a good idea but it had no links to the original one, they might as well named it billy-goat-gruff. If it had been retro styled i think it might have stood half a chance

Reason for no new Trans Am ? why would they wanna take sales away from the Camaro ??

Come what may GM is still gonna be in the sh!t for a good few years yet, i think they need to do a lot of restructuring, both the brands & the management. TBH GM gave up on Pontiac in the 80s when they killed the Pontiac V8 and starting using corporate stuff..

·
i took the red pill
62 Posts
Packard hung on to '57 or '58 but in name only. It died from lack of leadership in the early '40's. Studebaker built some fine cars with pride and class back when but also lost vision. Hudson same. Cadillac, well everyone knows this marque symbolized America but look at it now. 1970 was the last of the great Caddies in my opinion. The pride is gone, the CEO's are all globalists and they get their bonuses even as the company goes down the drain.
Am i right or no?:sniff:

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
I suppose that's one of the results of GM building the same products with different brand names. as BMC discovered too late. The last desirable Pontiac was just a re-badged Holden and Hardly anybody bought them (or Vauxhall's version)
Get ready for Mercury nex I reckon, not to mention the whole Chrysler company. :sniff: Not good but a sign of the times.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Packard hung on to '57 or '58 but in name only. It died from lack of leadership in the early '40's. Studebaker built some fine cars with pride and class back when but also lost vision. Hudson same. Cadillac, well everyone knows this marque symbolized America but look at it now. 1970 was the last of the great Caddies in my opinion. The pride is gone, the CEO's are all globalists and they get their bonuses even as the company goes down the drain.
Am i right or no?:sniff:
You are bang on!

Although isn't Caddy one of the more successful car makers at the moment?

I do like the new Caddy trucks!

And I agree about 1970 although I had a 72 Eldo ragtop in the shop the other day and it looked stunning from the rear - almost a bit of a throwback!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Tragic !http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

Back in the day Pontiac built some beautiful machines 40s and 50s cruisers, some of the best 60s muscle and the 70s and 80s Firebirds. The problem now is that Government meddling a truely dreadful recession and the insanely high oil price peak has probably damaged GM to the point where only Chevrolet and one or two of its smaller brands will survive. Also blame globalisation as the imports destroyed the domestic market in America. Really a sad day:sniff:

·
Keyboard Worrier
411 Posts
To be quite honest I’m surprised they’ve lasted this long, particularly when you add in all the other stuff that GM badge engineer – Saab, Vauxhall and Opel. Daewoo have already been rebranded as Chevrolet so I wouldn’t be surprised if in a couple of years they’ll just have two brands left, Chevrolet for the cooking stuff and Cadillac for the luxury brands.

Ford seem the strongest of the big three but who knows if Chrysler will be around in two years, guess that depends on whether Fiat buys them?

·
lone wolf
366 Posts
just heard about this on the radio and it may get worse, GM may still go bankrupt if the us gov does not approve the plans that it has put forward to save its self

1 - 17 of 17 Posts