Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Our boiler just failed it's service because the inner flue liner is rusted through. The plumber says we need a new boiler but I would've thought that this part can be replaced. I've spent an hour on the internet trying to find a new one but am beginning to believe the plumber. Any one know where these can be bought? or do I need to make one? Thanks in advance. Ady View attachment 35295

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
How old is the boiler?

Have you a number for the manufacturer?

How much hard earned is the plumber planning on making out of you?

How good are your metal folding skills?

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Sidspop,

The boiler is 10 years old I think so it's getting on a bit and probably needs replacing soon..
I'm going to phone Worcester tomorrow, but won't hold my breath.
The plumber reckons about a grand ish which isn't unreasonable I don't think, but I'm awaiting a proper quote. I would just rather prolong it's life for a year or two more if possible at the moment.
Metal folding skills are adequate, I was thinking about using aluminium rather than steel if I have to make one.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Just cut the top square part that rusty and make a new box out of 18g ,then pop rivet together putting fire silicone between joints first,it 2 min job for a steel fabricator ,look on youtube to see about making a steel box.

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts

·
Stroker
5,488 Posts
Yeah I bought 2 boilers a house and then left lol :shake:

Sorry, carry on.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Worcester 240 combination boiler.......bit more than 10 years old Im afraid. By all means make a new flue box, or buy one from Worcester (you might not be able to buy direct and need to go to a merchants). Problem is that although Worcester are very good, the spares are bloody expensive in comparison.....and at your boilers age, it will need some in the not to distant future. make sure you build one out of the same material as the original and that it is an almost exact match. if your local friendly gas safe engineer doesn't like it he has the right to disconnect your boiler and inform the authorities (he has to cover his own arse)
I think a grand for a new boiler is a reasonable price as long as he fis it to the manufacturers instructions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts