Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large section of land behind my house which i would like to build a large garage on to accomendate 4 cars and a caravan .Anyone got any ideas what sort of cost ?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Best bet is have a look into planning regs to see what size you can build.
Depends on how close to roadways you are and percentage of land you have.
Also depends on what type of garage you want,brick built with water and power supplied that size must be 20k plus

·
Registered
73 Posts
just a suggestion, but when my dad was going to get me a workshop/garage to start a little business in on his land, we were looking at ones on ebay beleive it or not, that you build yourself. made entirely from galvanised steel that you just bolt together. i could get a huge garage with more than enough height for a 2 poster lift and space for 4 cars for about 5K, bigger ones were available for motorhomes etc.

·
[url=http://www.nobrain.d
14,365 Posts
I had a garage by Lidget they do any size you wish and will travel to all parts of the UK, I can not recommend then more highly I had a garage built a year and half ago now 22 x20 one 14ft large metal up and over door and one side door also metal but no windows for security instead I had six transplant roof panel fitted and that the best thing I did as they let so much light in, I got a friend to lay the base …. The Lidget guys turn up at ......wait for it at 6 30 in the morning and they were gone by 12 o/c .
Check them out >>>>>>> http://www.lidget.co.uk/

Bob….

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
As has been said check what you can actually get away with sizewise. Mines 21 deep x30 wide , at the bottom of the garden. Due to the size of the garden i didn't need planning permission but as it was over a certain size I had to have building regs which means inspections at various stages to ensure it was built correctly. The first thing they'll want is decent foundations taking into account any trees etc in the vicinity . I had to go to 2 metres in places, I've about £5k in my foundations and base ( base 6 inchs thich laid in 3 pieces with expansion joints).

I threw my builder of the job and ended up getting subcontractors in due to his obvious lack of up to date knowledge and incompetenec after only 2 weeks .My whole thing in brick , triple felt roof ,with made to measure wooden doors and wired completely owes me about £16k and took me 6 months .Around here I'd expect £21k upwards for a builder to do the whole thing and probably 4-6weeks.

The sectional garages are good value for money if you can find one that gives you exactly what you need for your plot. I'm pretty sure they are classed as temporary buioding but you would still need to check into the situation re planning / building regs. You'll still need a decent level base put down and concrete isn't cheap either,my 6 inch base came to about £1800 for readymix without any labour for shuttering ,spreading etc etc. Shifting 30 odd tons of spoil ( from foundations and base ) with a Hiab was nearly £600 , soon adds up.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
If you make it out of wood you do not get the condensation on the chrome etc when it's cold also ask a company that makes roof trusses as they might make the walls as well,get a few mates around over a weekend and have a barbbie and it will soon go up.look on yoytube or look for tommy's altimate wookshop on google.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I made mine using a 'frame' of steel beams bolted to a cocrete slab base[provided by Mixamate]they even had a tracked barrow to get it into my back garden as normal Readymix trucks wouldn't be able to get near and the only other way was to hire a very expensive concrete pump!
Once the steel frame was up the beams were linked with timber posts and roof joists.
At the base a low wall was caste in concrete to link the steel beams and stiffen the base.
All the exterior covered in a dark brown insulated cladding that almost looks like wood[but never needs any maintaining ! ] Stays cool in summer and retains heat in winter ,completely dry and no condensation.
Mine probably exceeds current planning regs in hieght and close to boundries but I got away with it and thats all that counts...
Big enough for 3 cars- total cost 15K best investment I ever made, wish I'd done it years ago.

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
When I was looking around for pre cast firms, these seemed to be the best, www.nucrete.co.uk A family run business & you get to talk to the boss when you ring. I suggested them to Plumpcars on here, I'm pretty sure he used them.

The little money I had put aside got swallowed up on real life stuff so ended up searching Ebay for S/H pre cast. If you're willing to put some effort in, ie moving a shitload of concrete panels, you'll save a mint. I believe Farncombe Pop got his from Ebay for around £40, I got really lucky & got mine for free, just had to dismantle it.

·
phantom raspberry blower
794 Posts
If the structure has a larger floor area than 30 m2 then you will require building regulations. If you do require building regulations approval any structure within 1000mm of the boundary needs to be half hour fire resistant but you can add fireproof boarding to a timber structure to make it half hour fire resistant. Planning will be dependant on various issues that you should check with your local council but genrally you can build up to 50% of your garden without planning permission as long as the height is under 3m for a flat roof and 4m to the ridge of a pitched roof. It would be a good idea if you don't think planning is not required to apply for a lawful certificate to confim this.

·
Registered
695 Posts
mine is going to be 7m x 9m x 4m high at the ridge of the peaked roof, and is costing £8 per square metre to build, and 49p per block although i think i`m getting that down a bit nearer to 41p hopefully, doing the base myself and buying a mixer which i`ll sell when the jobs done, doors are £329 each and are 2m high x 2225mm wide. already have windows and a side door, our laws are if its further than 5m from the house it can be up to 30% of the garden area and 3m high for a flat roof and 4m high for a pitched roof.
Russ

·
Registered
94 Posts
im a builder and there are no comprehensive answers because a lot depends on proximity to neighbours and any roads, i have planning permission for a 6m x 7 m garage in my front garden that im building to house regs so that if at some point in the future i want to move it can be converted into a granny annex. but in the meantime will be warmer and more comfortable to work in:D
planning departments are very helpful if you ask :tup:

i just need some money now

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
When I was looking around for pre cast firms, these seemed to be the best, www.nucrete.co.uk A family run business & you get to talk to the boss when you ring. I suggested them to Plumpcars on here, I'm pretty sure he used them.

The little money I had put aside got swallowed up on real life stuff so ended up searching Ebay for S/H pre cast. If you're willing to put some effort in, ie moving a shitload of concrete panels, you'll save a mint. I believe Farncombe Pop got his from Ebay for around £40, I got really lucky & got mine for free, just had to dismantle it.
Indeed, only a single [ 11 x 17 feet ] including delivery and base [ mixermate ] s/h roofing and side door she was up with lighting for just over £500, it's the base that swallows the cash,

·
[url=http://www.nobrain.d
14,365 Posts
I had a garage by Lidget they do any size you wish and will travel to all parts of the UK, I can not recommend then more highly I had a garage built a year and half ago now 22 x20 one 14ft large metal up and over door and one side door also metal but no windows for security instead I had six transplant roof panel fitted and that the best thing I did as they let so much light in, I got a friend to lay the base …. The Lidget guys turn up at ......wait for it at 6 30 in the morning and they were gone by 12 o/c .
Check them out >>>>>>> http://www.lidget.co.uk/

Bob….

I forgot to say with the base the whole thing only cost £8,000

Bob..

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
One interesting point, when i had the inspector out [ council house ] i got the go ahead as long as the garage was no closer to the road than the nearest point of the house, right down the other end of the [ side ] garden.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,752 Posts
As`Al said I ended up using Nucrete and was very happy.
When I moved here I had an existing single 17' x 9' in brick. I got a quote to go alongside that and tie in a 24' x 13' by a builder who came recomended and it was 15k which I just didn't have. I ended up getting a bloody good base done with an angled drive onto the existing drive and the pre cast for a total of about 6k. Electrical work came on top of that but was done to latest specs with a new rcd in the house and a rewire on the existing garage.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
garage

im in the middle of building a 6mx6m garage using galvanised c-section clad with osb board then box profile sheet. you can buy this size flatpack for 3300 quid without osb board. mine came to 1400 quid all in doing it myself. i didnt need planning......i live in M.O.D. grounds:tup:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If going for a "proper" garage,ie,not pre-fab, a large part of the budget would be in the roof so a cheaper,mono-pitch roof in platic coated steel with ant-condensation on the inside would be far cheaper than a duel pitch with trusses and concrete tiles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.