Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
... by rack in the chassis, I mean the floor.... this is what the pack looks like with the top off... it weighs 300 kg, so a space frame will be needed. The cells on the right are stacked vertically.

Edited to add dimensions...1570 x 1188 x 264 mm (61.8 x 46.8 x 10.4 in) bit tight for a pop floor.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can also build your own battery packs to your size and capacity if you have the patience. Best links to these can be found here. Still need to get the controller to talk to to the battery pack. Perfectly possible, but a bit tech heavy if you're not into it.

If you think of it like a Zen meditation, and take a few years to build the pack, probably the way to look at it...

This is a good forum with all the information you need to make it work

Equating it to what most people have a feel for, the engine and battery is about the same as putting an all iron small block ford or SBC with ally heads in the middle of the car.

I am far from an expert on registrations, but I would think it may be possible to retain the donor ID of the Leaf if you use everything. Maybe then zero/low car tax and emission zone exemption.

Maybe if you transferred the original number off the car onto retention, then once registered as the re-bodied leaf, transfer the plate back. Kapri I think is the expert on all this part.

Good luck!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,310 Posts
Depending on chassis mods( for starters) it WILL need BIVA and luckily they now have a class for electric powered vehicles. using drive unit etc from one car should give an age related to donor . Taxation SHOULD be same as Leaf but havn't had to deal with one or argue the case yet so no hands on yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some helpful links:

There has now been an open source, or at least open development platform to control Tesla motors, I knew it was there I just forgot last week!

Controller hardware here.

Depending on how much you want to get into modern control hardware, (and we will probably have to deal with it all at some point and hacking it to remove speed restrictions, gps feedback and big brother monitoring etc), here is a resource that networks all the modern control and computing power available in CANBUS systems. It is developing into a basic machine learning/narrow AI system for self driving cars.

https://github.com/PolySync/OSCC

I am slowly collecting parts, (because the parts are the easy bit), for a semi autonomous capable MK3 Mini hybrid petrol electric car using salvaged PHEV parts from old Lexus SUVs with regen braking using a thoroughly butchered transmission or three. Battery technology is not great, but what is is good at is reducing emissions in cities and short runs plus stellar blazes of acceleration, (with PWM control so we have perfect traction control). It will still have a A series engine. Probably finished in 2030 🤣

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looked into doing this myself with a Pop but as i've got a 327 already sat in the garage, the outlay was a bit to steep. One thing that I found very attractive was with solar panels on the roof of the garage charging costs would be minimal as it would be plugged in whenever its in the garage.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts