Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Any mobile phone mp3 player gurus in here

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Stitch 
#1 ·
I don't keep up with mobile phone or mp3 player technology myself so I'm after a bit of advice probably from one of you younger guys :incheek:

I need to get my missus a new mobile (she's still using my old Nokia 6110 from 1997 :lol: )and she'd also like a newer ipod with more storage space so.... I was wondering if there are any mobile phones available that also double up as excellent mp3 players with a good size storage space and docking station facility etc . I've seen good reviews for the Sony Ericsson 880i but that's only got 1GB of storage .... or would it be better to get seperate items ?.

Cheers,
Ron

#2 ·
I am not an expert by any means but I would have 2 seperate items because if one goes wrong they have both gone wrong. And when buying a MP3 player I would only buy an Ipod as they are the industry standard with all Third parties making there docking stations for Ipod .

#3 ·
I'd avoid an ipod to be honest. Get a generic MP3 player with a built in USB plug as they can be used with any computer, most docking stations, home cinema systems etc. They aren't reliant on software (itunes etc)

As for phones most have good built in MP3 players & even if the internal memory is smaller you can add larger memory cards... you will also flatten the battery quicker using it to listen to music.

#4 ·
I've had a few phones now with MP3 player built in. 4.5 years worth it would seem.

The first reliable one was the Sharp 902SH. This was ok but didn't have the listing structure (e.g, artist, genre, song name etc).

2nd was the Nokia N91. 4GB of memory with a proper structure built in. Connect to PC and dump mp3's to the music folder. Job done.

3rd was the Nokia N95. 8GB of memory built in, just dump MP3's to the right folder.

And now my contract is up as of yesterday I will probably get an iphone with 16GB of memory.

I sit on a train for 2.5 hours a day, so for me it's silly to have a seperate mobile and mp3 player in the same pocket. And now these days nearly all mobiles support MP3's anyway, so it's a no brainer to me.

#8 ·
A subject close to my heart as I am a self confessed phone junkie. I've got drawers full of em.

The Iphone is OK as a toy and MP3 player. If you need it for any type of business where you need pop 3 or corporate email, it’s a waste of time, as it does not have "push" email. If you use crap email like Gmail or AOL, it works adequately.

I currently use a Blackberry Bold, which is the best phone I have ever had. If you are into texting and email, you can’t beat it. It just works all over the world with no problems. I also have the Blackberry Storm touch screen model, which I really hoped I would like, but its slow and clunky and I end up going back to the Bold. Both take Micro storage cards, I use an 8gig one, which holds thousands of songs if you want it to. The sound quality is amazing with headphones etc.

The Iphone will not be that much better when the 3.0 software update comes out in a few weeks, all they have done is added things that should have bee there in the beginning, cut and paste, forwarding for text etc.....still crap email if you need it for business.

#9 ·
I have a Blackberry Bold for work as well. Good phone actually, really excellent screen resolution (better than iphone) but for say a social phone the iphone ticks more boxes than the work focused Blackcurrant.

#10 ·
If they sorted the email out and added Video, I might have another go at the Iphone as as you rightly say, its a very good social phone if you want to play with it all the time. We use Macs here so I do hope they sort it out as syncing and the music stuff is great with the iphone.

If you checkout www.howardforums.com you will find out all there is to know about all new phones coming out.

#11 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions guys :happy:

I had considered an iphone as she could use it with her ipod docking station in the house but I think it's a bit big for a girly phone , plus neither of us would ever use a fraction of it's capabilities .
Maybe I'll stick with my original plan of a new 16gb ipod nano and a nice small phone .

Wanted 16gb iPod nano :incheek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.