Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
sparky
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi got a ford pop fitted with a viva front axle, problem is its a 4 stud hub so im very limited to what wheels i can fit :tdown: , any one know how to change it to a 5 stud chevy fitment as thay have loads ah nice wheels to choose from:D
cheers sparky

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Wisbech Eng will plug, weld and redrill your hubs to your requirements, £85 + VAT.

The only prob with chamging 4 to 5 stud is that one of the new holes will break thru into a welded a nd plugged one and will comprimise the part. Can be done tho

Jeff

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
if you go for the pop brown ones you will need to have spacer rings made to locate the wheel, the viva wheel location is aproximately 51mm but most american wheels are 76mm. pop browns do also supply a kit with hubs made to accept american wheels but these dont accept standard brakes, it includes an upgrade to use capri vented disks and modern callipers. if your going to the trouble of upgrading the hubs it seems sensible to get better brakes at the same time. if i can work out how to post pics i will post some of this conversion.

·
Registered
727 Posts
if you go for the pop brown ones you will need to have spacer rings made to locate the wheel, the viva wheel location is aproximately 51mm but most american wheels are 76mm. pop browns do also supply a kit with hubs made to accept american wheels but these dont accept standard brakes, it includes an upgrade to use capri vented disks and modern callipers. if your going to the trouble of upgrading the hubs it seems sensible to get better brakes at the same time. if i can work out how to post pics i will post some of this conversion.
Surely the wheels locate on the studs and nuts. The wheels I've seen that fit nice and tight on the center (hub) seem to be on kacky FWD stuff ( with bolt rather than studs) and often have to be removed with a gert hammer, Seen um have to be burnt off with a gas axe. Not the way to go in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
The nuts are just supposed to hold the wheel on, the wheel locates on the hub centre for concentricity. Some do use the bolts with a different taper for location purposes.
The tolerance stack on nut location would be huge, over stress the bolts and and all rhe shear forces would be passed thruthe bolts and not the hub centre.
It's ot a "nice job" if you do use the bolts instead of the centres although it's not the end of the world either

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
if wheels are put on without any anti sieze compound they can corrode to the hub, usualy only happens with steel hubs and alloy , the japs use a plastic spacer on some of their cars to get round this problem. as for locating just on the studs its ok but i have yet to see a set of alloy wheels with sleve nuts where the nuts are a snug fit in the hole so the wheel will not run 100% true, not too much of a problem on a race only car or on the rear but if the wheel isnt properly centered it will cause vibration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.