Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cos I know naff all about electronics... I got an ordinary old secondhand TV, ditto video recorder, and it all works fine with a cheapo Freeview box no problem. And I used to be able to record one channel and watch another. But now there's no analogue reception, I can only watch through the digi box. So does that mean I can only record what I'm watching? :cry: And if so, is there any clever way around it? Cheers :S

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
f**k me odgie!....:shock:

ive always thought you were good, but how the hell do you find two things at once worth watching on the box at the same time...:shake:

amazing..........:incheek:

Sid..

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeh, got two scarts, it kinda goes like this: digibox has two scarts, one to TV, one to video (there's also a scart from TV to DVD player, but I hate the bloody thing, video is so much simpler). I used to be able to bypass the digibox by watching analogue, but now that's gone, so everything will have to come through digibox, so I can't get two channels at once, one to vid - one to TV?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
f**k me odgie!....:shock:

ive always thought you were good, but how the hell do you find two things at once worth watching on the box at the same time...:shake:

amazing..........:incheek:

Sid..
It's me guilty hour, 7 till 8 - Channel Four news and Voyager.... :tup:

·
autoholic.co.uk
210 Posts
I think that's your only option mate. You could of course upgrade your box to a digital recorder which would help. I'm a Sky customer so not much help I'm afraid.

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
As far as I understand, the VCR has a built in analogue tuner, Hence you could watch one analogue channel on TV and record another. Now the analogue signal has been turned off you can only make a direct recording of the channel you're watching on tv while it's on.
Not entiely sure what the point of that would be though?

I could be wrong however.

·
THATS MR TATFINK TO YOU
961 Posts
DONT THINK YOU CAN WATCH ONE SIDE AND TAPE THE OTHER THROUGH A DIGI BOX ,IF ALL YOU HAVE IS DIGI SIGNAL NOW,YOU,LL NEED A DIGI TELE TO DO THIS ODGIE:S:S......UNLESS SOMEONE KNOWS DIFFERENT:beuj:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

You can always get another digi box, 2 boxes = 2 tuners = 2 different channels

If you need one i may have one kicking about let me know, saying that i think a brand new one is probably peanuts now.

Cheers.

Russ.
Thanks Russ, I was wondering about that, but not sure how to wire it all up so the TV knew what it was supposed to be showing...? In the meantime I've also been Googling about, it appears the solution might be a 2-channel DVR (or DTR?), which combines a digibox with a hard drive - 35 quid for a recon one with a warranty doesn't seem unreasonable? Thanks again for the offer though, appreciated :tup:

·
Dazed & Confused
3,507 Posts
Do a Google for Thomson DTR boxes. Some of them were beset with problems of failure!

These were mostly used with Top-Up TV service, (which was also a waste of money!).

So be careful what you buy if going down the recon route.

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi Shedster,

:tup:For that money theres nothing to think about.

I bit the bullet a while back and bought a hard drive, dvd, digibox with 1080p upscaler all in one unit makes life a lot simpler once you get the hang of it and not too many cables involved. :D

If you get stuck give us a shout.

Cheers.

Russ. 07762 - 747643.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Shedster,

:tup:For that money theres nothing to think about.

I bit the bullet a while back and bought a hard drive, dvd, digibox with 1080p upscaler all in one unit makes life a lot simpler once you get the hang of it and not too many cables involved. :D

If you get stuck give us a shout.

Cheers.

Russ. 07762 - 747643.
Appreciate the help Russ, many thanks, although I think that sort of kit's likely to be way out my price range...

Do a Google for Thomson DTR boxes. Some of them were beset with problems of failure!

These were mostly used with Top-Up TV service, (which was also a waste of money!).

So be careful what you buy if going down the recon route.
Thanks for the heads-up, that's the one I was looking at... A bit more investigating has revealed DTRs are all a bit of a minefield - noisy fans, slow EPGs, freezing, lock-ups... Now I know why I like my vid recorder so much - it's the low-tech side-valve of the TV world... :D But it's looking like a credit card trip to Argos before Christmas then....

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi Shedster,

I have had a look and found the freeview box i had in the bedroom its nothing fancy just a Bush :)shake:and we all now how unreliable bushes are, guaranteed to breakdown once a month especially in the bedroom :pmsl:) sorry going off topic,

Its remote control, worked fine when it was replaced with the new telly so was not needed anymore sat in a box ever since.

Yours if you want it arrange collection or pay cost of postage.

While i was typing this had a thought and went on the net

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5321148.htm

£17.00 with a years guarantee

Balls in your court

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Russ, many thanks for that, that's why I really appreciate this forum, you can come on here out of the blue with a problem, and people go out of their way to be really helpful - it reminds you it is right to have faith in human nature after all :tup:

You've got a PM too. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts