Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never thought to ask this before on here, as it is an "Automotive" Forum after all, but as this is a General Chat Section, I was wondering if like myself, anyone else keeps Koi Carp as another Hobby ?. I`ll see if there is any response to this Thread before I go Prattling on about Technical Stuff etc, but I have kept Koi for around 12 Years or so now, and have a 3,000 Gallon Semi Raised Pond. Not big by any means I know in Koi Keeping Terms, but plenty big enough to enjoy, and it suits the overall size of my Back Garden. :tup:

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
i do , but have kinda left it unattended for the last few years due to other commitments :shake:. nice to sit and relax with , with a tin or two after a long day ....

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do , but have kinda left it unattended for the last few years due to other commitments :shake:. nice to sit and relax with , with a tin or two after a long day ....
Struth, how have you got away with that ??!!. Are you fish still alive ??!!. Is your Pond Filtered ?, if so, what System do you have etc ?.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Yep I have , been keeping fish for a while but only just started keeping Japanese ones , got some monsters in the pond at home 1 is around 700mm , I did treat my self to a dear fish for my birthday . Also got about 1000 ish small 2 to 3 inch koi down my yard I'm growing on. Absolutly love it so therapeutic when you got the hump go chill out with and watch the fish .

A few pictures

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
did keep koi till moved house last year......decided that with 3 grand kids it was too risky having pond untill they grow old enough to be safer near water....built a couple of ponds over the years and really enjoyed chillin by the water on summer eves ...my fish all went to an enthusiast who has three enourmous ponds so i know they will be looked after.................god i miss having a pond.

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep I have , been keeping fish for a while but only just started keeping Japanese ones , got some monsters in the pond at home 1 is around 700mm , I did treat my self to a dear fish for my birthday . Also got about 1000 ish small 2 to 3 inch koi down my yard I'm growing on. Absolutly love it so therapeutic when you got the hump go chill out with and watch the fish .
Nice one !!. :tup: 700mm/28" or so is a good size fish in anyone`s books !!. My biggest is around 24/25". I have 21 Koi, a Baltic Sturgeon which is 36" +, and a couple of Green Tench in my Pond at present. My Fish are not Show Winners by any means, but I`ve had a lot of them from day one, and watched them grow from 5/6" to what they are now. Even though I take as much care as I can, and even cover the pond with Polycarbon Sheets in Wintertime, last Winter was a nightmare, and I lost a number of fish, which was basically unheard of for me. I`ve really only just got everything properly sorted, and its time to Over-Winter again now !!.

My Tech Spec ; - 3,000 Gallon Rectangular Semi Raised Pond, Firestone 1mm Thick Rubber Liner, Fully Sheeted Pergola over the top, Aquamax 15,000 Submersible Pump, feeding a TMC Pro-Clear 55Watt UV, into a Cloverleaf PSS2 "Sieve", which I have set up to Gravity Feed into a Nexus 200 Filter, which then Gravity Feeds back to the Pond. I also have a stand alone Clarity CL3 Protein Skimmer/Foam Fractionator, fed by another Submersible Pump, which really does fetch a load of Crap out of the Water, and helps leave it lovely and clear !!. I also use "Virasure" Koi Treatment Tablets once a week, which do a really good job !!. If I had my time again, (and the available Finance), I would have had the pond Fibreglassed, and fitted a Bottom Drain etc, but financial circumstances dictated at the time, and still do !!.

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"did keep koi till moved house last year......decided that with 3 grand kids it was too risky having pond untill they grow old enough to be safer near water"

I can fully understand where you are coming from Yellapop, as Safety is Paramount, but kids grow up, and I`m sure that you will be in a position to have another Pond at some point mate. :tup:

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey 1stpop, you have some lovely Fish there pal !!. I especially like that Goshiki. Unfortunately, I lost mine at the end of last Winter, he/she was coming on a treat, around 13/14" long, and a Superb Five Step Pattern, bloody gorgeous Fish, and I was gutted when it died !!. :sniff: If ever you fancy selling that one of yours, please give me First Dibs !!.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
My pond would like bigger but missis says no is 3m x 3m by 1 m deep I run a 4" bottom drain to a vortex with spawning brushes in , then to a roto concept shower filter , pumped up with a 12000 pump to a 55w uv then another box filter back to the pond , large air pump , last year was the first time I covered it , made a wooden frame with a pond cover over 80% of it then the other 20% open to view fish . I have 4 sturgeon also 2 of which are albino .

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like those Roto Concept Shower Filters. (Does yours have Crystal Bio or Ceramic Type Media ?). I looked into buying one at the start of last year, but couldnt afford it. I dropped on the Clarity CL3 for just £250 or so including the pump, which was a real Bargain. I forgot to say that I also have 1 x 120 litre Air Pump connected to the Nexus, to Agitate the K1 & Bio Chip Media, and I also have another Blagdon Koi Air 50 Litre Air Pump, connected to a 9" Air disc in the pond for extra Aeration. The water Parameters are Bang On, but I cant ever sem to get my Nitrate down to less than 75 ppm or so. I bought the Clarity CL3, as they were supposed to crash out Nitrates, but tbh, it made no difference at all !!. Still, the fish seem happy enough. Losing that Goshiki really p#ssed me off. It developed a large Ulcer, right in its Underbelly, which couldnt be seen, then it developed Dropsy, and "Pine Coned" really bad, at which point I fetched it out of the main pond and Quarantined it, adding a Salt & Acroflavin Mix, but it was just too late unfortunately.

·
V8 addict
1,102 Posts
I used to work for a company that sold both the fish and the gear years ago.
There's a lot of enjoyment you can get from keeping them. I buillt a 30' semi raised pond in my parents back garden which was 8' deep in the centre when I was 16.

Back when I was doing this job Oase products were the best on the market. Although, this is 8 years ago, mind?

I cant ever sem to get my Nitrate down to less than 75 ppm or so.
Mike, think about your nitrogen cycle. Remember, as far as possible you're trying to establish a ballanced eco system in your pond. Amonia becomes nitrite which is metabolised into nitrate. When you get a build up of a particular nitrogen ion it suggests something in the ecosystem is out of ballance.
As I'm sure you know, Nitrates are the main food substance of aquatic plants. Have you got enough aquatic vegetation in your pond? Dropsy and ulcers can in part be attributed to stress - ensure your fish have plenty of places to hide. Koi love to hide amongst vegetation.
If there aren't enough plants in the pond then the Nitrate levels will slowly rise as it cannot be absorbed quickly enough.

The other point to consider is the other end of the cycle. Amonia is metabolised by a bacterium called nitrosomonas into nitrite. This in turn is metabolised by a bacteria called nitrobactor into nitrate. So, what's amonia? Blunty, it's fish waste. If you cut down the amount of food you feed the fish they will produce less waste. Less waste means that at the end of the scale there will be less nitrate to be metabolised by the plants.

Koi are stupid. They will eat and eat and eat. You could chuck a whole bucket of food in the pond and they'd eat the lot.

My advise would be to Cut your feeding down by 50% and buy some Elodea Densa or Elodea Crispa to pot up (alot of garden centres might lable this up as "oxygen weed"). You should then monitor your water quality over the next 2-3 weeks you should see a drop in nitrate levels.

Cheers,

Jon.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
This is my filter
The Roto?Concept Gravity Shower?

i know it sounds dear but i love my fish , also i gave up smoking so the money i saved payed for that in 1 year, as for plant in your pond its down to what pond you got, i have a koi pond do not want the fish making a mess in the plants , they will rip up pull out , chew the plants until you wont be able to see any fish, i do a 25% water change every sunday , then afurther 10% mid week in the summer , when im cleaning filters out , what i am trying to do when i get time is a small rock pool pond at the side so i can pump the water into that then have a water fall back in to the pond with lots of plants in that , also i try to keep around 1/2" of moss grass what ever you want to call it on the pond sides this also helps , but i dont let it turn into blanket weed if possible.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have kept koi for about 15 years now although my pond is really a puddle in koi terms - only 2000 gals. It has a 4" bottom drain & surface skimmer - both feeding a sieve - piped underground to a bead filter & then back via the UV & heater to the pond. Kept covered over winter with polycarbonate sheeting & maintained at 16 degrees.
Currently home to 19 koi ranging from 20-60 cm. Have one kohaku enjoying a summer in Japan before it comes home with the autumn harvest.
Will try & post some pics later.

·
phantom raspberry blower
794 Posts
I keep koi as well and have done so for about 25 years my pond is 5000 gallons I reduced it recently from 9000 gallons. My filter system is homemade with 2 banks of filters consisting of a vortex 3 jap matting and 1 alphagrog each I have 15 koi at the moment mainly showa as they are my favourite I'll post some pics later

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi J.C - When I first started Koi Keeping, I used nearly all Oase Products. I had 2 x Biotec 10`s with Bitron 25 UV`s fitted, fed by 2 x Aquamax 10,000 pumps. Worked well to be fair. Problem was the continual level of Maintenance required, as I had Two of everything !!. When the Evolution Aqua Nexus Filters came out, I was quick to get one, hence halving my Workload, and I still have the Nexus 200 as an Integral part of my system now.

I fully understand what you are saying about the Nitrogen Cycle, though if anything, a High Nitrate Presence at least shows that the Filter System is Functioning properly, as Nitrate is the Final Product in the Nitrogen Cycle, and comparatively Harmless to all fish !!. I have experimented with different Plants etc, but as 1stpop says, koi are basically Scavengers, and will eat practically anything. I tried various combinations of Potted Plants, but they all got Wrecked by the fish, which also then turned the water cloudy, hence you couldnt then see the fish, so defeating the object !!. I now have a completely "Bare" Pond, and apart from a 5/10mm growth of "Green Baize" Algae on the sides of the pond, (which I always encourage), have no other Plants or Vegetation at all. I feed the Fish only ONCE a day on Hikari Foods, at around 5.30/6.00 p.m, which although some people will disagree with, I find works best for me. As you said, Koi will continually eat as much as you are willing to feed them, so this 1 x Daily Feed is ample for their needs, and only "Loads" the Filters Once, instead of numerous Smaller Feeds throughout the day, which I know some people prefer, so each to their own !!. I also find that I get less accumulation of Food Waste too, and I can keep my Pond Floor absolutely Spotless with 1 x 2 Minute Session with a Fine Net every 24/48 Hours or so. Of course if I had a "Benched" Pond Floor & Bottom Drain, I probably would not even have to do this !!. I also have my Pond completely covered over by a Sheeted Pergola, which as my Garden is entirely South Facing, shades the Pond wonderfully, and I Never, (touch wood), suffer with any Blanket Weed at all. This Pergola also serves to keep all Rainwater out of my Pond, as these days, its basically no more than "Acid Rain", and full of all kinds of Chemicals and other Crap !!. Plus, Rainwater is much too "Soft" PH wise to apply directly to the pond in any quantity. I do a 10/15 per cent Water Change on a Weekly Basis, which coincides with me Backflushing my Nexus Filter, and occasionally the Cloverleaf PSS2 "Sieve". I then replenish this water from the Mains, via a 3 Pod Purifier, which obviously breaks down/removes Chlorine/Chloramine and Base Metals etc.

Water Changes are an ever continuing subject of debate. For example, 1stpop says that he changes 25% weekly, plus another 10% Midweek in the Summer, which effectively means that he is changing the Whole Volume of the pond every 3 x Weeks or so, which in my own personal opinion only, is too much !!. Pond Water "Matures", needs time to do so, and needs to Maintain Colonies of "Good" Bacteria, which in turn ensures that your have a Balanced Eco System, and also of course that your Filters operate to their Optimum Capacity, which with this frequency of water changing, "I" think you are quite literally Flushing Down the Drain !!. I change 10 - 15% per week, which eguates to a max of around 60% per month, and a bit less in Winter, which "I" think is more than adequate to maintain a "Reasonable" Balance between Fresh & Mature Pond Water. As I said though, this is just my own personal opinion, and its always a contentious subject, so it will be interesting to hear what other people do !!. Also, I always have this comparatively high level of Nitrate in my pond, and what is the best way of getting rid of Nitrate ?, yep, by replacing the existing Pond Water with Fresh !!. So, yet another "angle" to look at Water Changes at. There is also the old saying of - "The Cure For Pollution is Dilution", so the Debate & differences of opinion will no doubt continue !!.

I`ll try to figure out how to load Pictures, and Post a couple of my pond later on. :tup:

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here, (hopefully !!), are some pics of my Pond & Filters.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
damb that makes mine look like a paddling pool lol,

a few of my fish from a few years back.

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
" damb that makes mine look like a paddling pool lol, "

Trouble is with mine that I couldn`t get the Depth I was after. After the Topsoil, I hit Clay, which was bad enough, then after this, Rock !!. I had to do everything by hand, as I`m in a Terraced Property, so getting a Digger on the job was a no-no !!. The pond is less than Four Feet Deep, which is far from ideal. If I`d have had my way, it would have been at least 6 ft Plus !!. This is another reason I haven`t got a Bottom Drain, as the "Plumbing" would have had to have been Hacked through this "Rock" layer, and I`d just about had enough by then, so went for an "In Pond" Submersible Pump instead !!. I have since been told that the houses in my area were built on the old "Brick Works" Site, so god knows whats lurking not too far below the surface. What ever the case, its best left well alone, especially when you are on your own, with just a Shovel and a Pickaxe !!.

·
Registered
152 Posts
On a slightly different note, but still fish related. My partner came in to the kitchen the other night and said I think I have just killed all the gold fish! She went out to the utility room to feed the fish and put a load of washing on. You can guess what happened next. So spent the next couple hours emptying the water, gravel, filters etc. and cleaning off the fairy washing powder.
She said we were not supposed to put them straight back into a tank full of tap water, but it seemed the much lesser of two evils.
Anyway they look like they have survived the ordeal.

And it is said that blokes can't multi-task!

1 - 20 of 182 Posts