Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know the best way or tips on how to make atube front axle using mk1transit tubaxles? what thickness/size tube etc. any tech features on the subject?

ian

·
Registered
200 Posts
anyone know the best way or tips on how to make atube front axle using mk1transit tubaxles? what thickness/size tube etc. any tech features on the subject?

ian
Ingredients:

A length of 2" diameter seamless heavy wall steel tube, 3/8" wall thickness, or heavier.

Two machined steel bosses the right size to take the kingpin bushes.

Instructions:

Mill the ends of the heavy tube out to accurately take the king pin bosses, camber angle etc.

Weld prep these ends, 45 degrees by 1/4"

Ask a qualified welder to weld the bosses in place.

Add spring mounts or four bar mounts etc to suit your taste.

Cook in a pre-warmed oven at 350C for 30 minutes (powder coating) :tup:

Job done. :D

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^

But after a lot of research i have found that you can use 1.5" with .5 wall and do a lot or research first as steering can be quite awkward to sort afterwards (my own personal experience) :tup:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
as said above but if you have the transit axle its easy to use it as a welding fixture to ensure everything lines up correctly.

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,645 Posts
As others have already stated regarding the wall thickness of the tube thickness, dont skimp on this,
believe me, thin wall tube axles DO snap,
Brian Arliss snapped one on his 32,
luckily at slow speed, it was about 4mm? thick,
new one was done in 3/8" wall tube.

·
Registered
200 Posts
my axle is actually made from 40mm solid as i didnt know what thickness wall to go for

It wasnt till after that i found that they use .5 (1/2") wall
When you see the exhaust-pipe-type tube they build these little Locost type kit cars out of you realise just how skimpy you can get away with. I saw one at Donnington a few years ago, with A arm brackets bent from 16swg steel, held on with a single 6mm bolt. My buddy and I were gobsmacked just how feeble the whole thing looked, but they build hundreds of them, and they pass SVA and get used on the road and track all the time.

Apparently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts