Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Speed Freak
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fancy putting triple carbs on a straight 6 engine I have. Why? Well ..........

1) they look cool polished up
2) i understand them from my Mini years as a teen:lol:

I'm think something like 3 x 1/2 " HIF SU's or maybe 3 x 3/4 " as it will be roughly 1500cc per SU. No problem with me fabricating manifolds or linkages, just wondering if anyone has done this before and can pass on any knowledge or tips?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,125 Posts
Jaguar did as standard ;) Also used on may sstriaght six Zephyrs etc through the years. They are not common place so still look cool:tup:

·
starting to crawl back up
3,029 Posts
I fancy putting triple carbs on a straight 6 engine I have. Why? Well ..........

1) they look cool polished up
2) i understand them from my Mini years as a teen:lol:

I'm think something like 3 x 1/2 " HIF SU's or maybe 3 x 3/4 " as it will be roughly 1500cc per SU. No problem with me fabricating manifolds or linkages, just wondering if anyone has done this before and can pass on any knowledge or tips?
yeah,, just do it,,

·
Premium Member
14,393 Posts
as kev said jag su's would be about right only needing an inlet made to suit. go for it mate.

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
Aussies do a fair bit of 'big' 6 pot Ford tuning stuff - is the head 6 port?

·
Speed Freak
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It not a 6 port head. The idea could either go on my gmc 270 cu engine which is 3 port. Ie siamised ports, which would make the manifold easier or my ford 240 cu. which from memory i think only has the middle 2 ports siamised.

Yeah ebay here we come for hif 4 su's

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was also thinking along those lines a couple of months ago. I have got five Rochester carbs that I have collected over the years, but they are all slighty different internal designs so no good for dual carbing and hard to get spares for anyway.
The SU set up sounds good or maybe three Harley carbs?? I will have to do some research.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I hav them on my Zodiac straight six, only 1 1/2 inch on an Aquaplane manifold. Look and sound great and not too hard to set up. As said on here Jags used them on the E types and Mk 10s.

·
Speed Freak
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hav them on my Zodiac straight six, only 1 1/2 inch on an Aquaplane manifold. Look and sound great and not too hard to set up. As said on here Jags used them on the E types and Mk 10s.
What size engine are you running?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
What size engine are you running?
Its the UK 2553cc straight six, supposed to be 109bhp in standard form but mines a bit tired, not too sure how much difference the triples make to the bhp but it uses less fuel than the standard Zenith carb and sounds loads better.
They were also fitted (as standard I believe) to the Reliant Sabre and early Scimitars.

·
Speed Freak
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ok, got myself 3 x SU's ..................well 4 actually. so 1 spare. HIF44's

now then, for the manifold, would you go 3 separate manifolds ( maybe braced together but not linked) Or do you need a tube running across all 3 to balance pressure or scavenging etc ?

ie this

or this

·
Got salt
1,305 Posts
You dont absolutely need it, but if you dont you must set the balance up with a vacuum meter of some sort.
A balance tube doesn't need to be huge; unless the carbs are stupidly out of balance, it would only be there for good idle quality.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
My set up has a balence tube and the carbs still need to be balanced, you can do it the trad way with a rubber tube held up to your ear or get a special plastic gauge from Gunsons (the colour tune spark plug gizmo helps as well)

·
Registered
448 Posts
im hoping to put triple SU carbs on my triumph gt6 engine and the manifold will have a balance pipe on so i can have a brake servo pipe on it

·
Registered
389 Posts
many years ago I had a MK 2 Zephyr with triple 1.5" S.U carbs on a Raymond Mays inlet manifold with 6 branch exhaust. Probably worth a mint now. Sounded awsome.

·
Speed Freak
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok thanks guys, confirmed my thinking too. Yep used to have a mini on twins and a tr7 v8 on quads, so looking forward to the balancing, its like 1970's laptop tuning :tup:

also looking forward to the sound and better throttle response

1 - 20 of 27 Posts