Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently building my first rod(31 model a pickup),

i got the car with 40's ford brakes on the front. they, along with the back need an overhall. i really like the look and authenticity of front drums and was wondering is it worth me keeping the drums and getting them sorted in favour of a front disk setup.

is anyone running drum/drum or have in the past? with a set fully restored and serviced setup do they work ok? obviously they arent going to be as efficient as disks but i was wondering if they will provide the ample stopping power i need.

thanks for looking

ant

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
nothing wrong with drums if they are working right , got drum/drum on my sedan and gives more than ample stopping power :tup:

·
My name is Martin
2,615 Posts
Drum/Drum is only an issue if you are driving like a loon. Brake fade comes in very fast if you take the piss.

Otherwise, go for it... it's the only way on a rod!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,138 Posts
Drum/Drum is only an issue if you are driving like a loon. Brake fade comes in very fast if you take the piss.

Otherwise, go for it... it's the only way on a rod!
That's explains a lot had total brake loss, several times, on various drum brake cars :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome guys thanks for the feedback. do you run a normal master cylinder or is it booster assisted? i dont think i will have room for a booster unless i run a remote one. thinking just a normal floor mounted master cylinder will be ok?

ant

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Running standard drum/ drum power brakes on the Oldsmobile and they are on a par with modern brakes, it is a factory standard set up

·
Nowheresville
3,051 Posts
Are the back ones '40 Ford style as well? Early Ford hydraulics are OK, but aren't self-energising so are never going to be as good as later drums. As others said, they should be sufficient if you drive within their capabilities and the car has a flathead or something else modestly-powered. Blown Chevy and 5-speed could encourage driving beyond their limits :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im running a ford 9" rear axle, gotta be honest there isnt much left on there only backing plates. need to replace the lot. but thanks for the link ill definately check it out. sounds perfect!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts