Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there such things as arch re radiusers? I mean for putting on the halfshaft nut on an axle and drawing a line to mark for enlarged arches. I saw one on the V8pop's V8pop thread on the NSRA forum, but I don't whether he purchased it or it was homemade. Do they exist? Any plans for a homemade one?

This is the one on the Pop thread:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,055 Posts
We bought one for my mate's nissan, it bolts onto the hub and has a little wheel that rolls the lip.

Can't think where we got it from, wasn't a lot, I'll ask

These one's are quite pricey but we got his a lot cheaper

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9108
That's an arch roller, all Stroprock wants is a simple method of remarking the radius of the arch to match new wheels and tyres.

I just used a piece of wood with two holes drille in it, one to centre on the hub and the other to stick a marker through:D.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Would of thought it should be simple to make one,knock up a wooden disc to bolt to the hub,then a bit of studding,easy peasy
A bit like in the photo ,or Kev's idea even easier :D

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of making something which extends from a sock ratchet handle, so it can be put on a hub nut using the right size socket, and then use the rotating handle to draw a line.

·
0 to 60 in 3 weeks
348 Posts
Are there such things as arch re radiusers? I mean for putting on the halfshaft nut on an axle and drawing a line to mark for enlarged arches. I saw one on the V8pop's V8pop thread on the NSRA forum, but I don't whether he purchased it or it was homemade. Do they exist? Any plans for a homemade one?

This is the one on the Pop thread:
how about using a socket on bearing nut with an extension bar an old rachet with a length of tube over it and find a way to clamp a marker to it ?simple idea to work from ?

·
0 to 60 in 3 weeks
348 Posts
I was thinking of making something which extends from a sock ratchet handle, so it can be put on a hub nut using the right size socket, and then use the rotating handle to draw a line.
sorry mate i didnt see this what you said but great mindsamate

·
0 to 60 in 3 weeks
348 Posts
arhh instead of a rachet how about the section from a old sliding T bar you could drill n tap it .slide a length of bar in and lock it up with a small bolt or grub screw and maybe a plumbers copper 15mm T the other end with say a rubber bung to fit your marker in ?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
thats a good ides, in the past i have yust used a bit of string:D the time i needed it more acutats i used an old wheel with a bit of wood clamped to itand a hole for the pencil to go through.
it wouldnt be worth making anything too elaborate if its only going to be used once, something like in the pic would not be cost effective unless you had access to the machinary to make it yourself, if somone asked me to do it it would probably end up costing £25 to £30 and thats a lot if your only going to use it once.

·
fixin your car
935 Posts
thats a good ides, in the past i have yust used a bit of string:D the time i needed it more acutats i used an old wheel with a bit of wood clamped to itand a hole for the pencil to go through.
it wouldnt be worth making anything too elaborate if its only going to be used once, something like in the pic would not be cost effective unless you had access to the machinary to make it yourself, if somone asked me to do it it would probably end up costing £25 to £30 and thats a lot if your only going to use it once.
get a couple nocked up for the swapmeet trev i bet they would sell

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
get a couple nocked up for the swapmeet trev i bet they would sell
already on to that one:tup:
all drawn up and metal cut, start doing the nice CNC bit tomorow evening, the flasher they look the more i can charge:D
ive designd it to work with any 4 or 5 stud pattern and be fully adjustable from mini size wheels to monster mickey Ts on race cars (i was wondering how i was going to do mine on the dart, now i know:bigsmile:

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
part 1 complete, fits all 4 and 5 stud axles, now to do the other bits, hope to have a few ready for the swap meet:tup:

·
fixin your car
935 Posts
it looks like a cross between a ducks foot and a canvey foot

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much would you want for one of these finely built products, Trev?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
im looking at doing them as cheaply as possible but it wont be a fiver due to material costs. i hope to be able to do them for under £30 complete but wont know for sure until i do the rest of it. obviously good rates for RnS regulars:D

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
thats a good ides, in the past i have yust used a bit of string:D
That's how Martyn Payne and I radiussed a spare set of glass wings for his Pop. It's also the way the signwriters at the company I work at used to put a radius on a board.
Sometimes the simplest ways are just as effective.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
finanly got the prototype done, they will be made to mark out up to 18" (so will mark same rad as a 36" tall tyre) so will work on most big tyre aplications. they will bolt to any 4 or 5 stud axle, and the axle can be up to 16" inside the arch. any of these dimensions can be increased at minimal cost but i think this should cover most aplications. the cost will be £28 plus a bit of p&p, this includes a top quality red or yellow pencil:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts