Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IN MY QUEST FOR ARCHIVING HOT RODDING MATERIAL I HAVE COME ACROSS THE FOLLOWING PHOTOS FROM THE BOB ROTHWELL BOX.

THEY WERE LABELLED AS TOWCESTER 1976, (THE LABEL IS BOBS WRITING) WHICH I UNDERSTAND IS JUST DOWN THE ROAD FROM SILVERSTONE?

MY QUESTIONS ARE BASICALLY WHO ARE THE HOT RODDERS BY THE MINOR, & CAN ANYONE ELSE OFFER UP ANY MORE INFORMATION ON THE VEHICLES OR THE SHOW ITSELF AS I CANT FIND ANY ADVERTISING ON IT?, WERE YOU THERE, DO YOU HAVE ANY PICCYS TO POST, SOMEONE MUST REMEMBER IT?

THE AMBER HILLMAN ? I SEEM TO REMEMBER IN THE MAGS BUT CANT PLACE IT AT THE MOMENT, THE VAN APPEARS TO BE A TRANSIT MK1, (& CHECK THE MINOR? BEHIND IT).

THERE WILL BE MANY MORE OF THESE OVER TIME, SO ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED, ITS ALL IN THE NAME OF HISTORY OF COURSE.

IF YOU HAVE ANY SIMILAR ARCHIVE REQUIREMENTS WHY NOT ADD ON TO THIS THREAD? ...:smoke:

·
Historian
1,564 Posts
The Surrey Street Rodders had yellow t-shirts back then if that helps and the '33 Austin 10/4 belonged to Steve Birch and I believe a forum member still runs it. The van is Steve Stringer's InTrasit and just out of shot on the left is Ken Robbins creeping up to knick that cool box which is full of ham sandwiches while the guy guarding it is asleep:shock:

·
It's me!
361 Posts
Did anyone notice the two guys in the first pic, by the Mk2 Cortina doing the formation dancing! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The Surrey Street Rodders had yellow t-shirts back then if that helps and the '33 Austin 10/4 belonged to Steve Birch and I believe a forum member still runs it. The van is Steve Stringer's InTrasit and just out of shot on the left is Ken Robbins creeping up to knick that cool box which is full of ham sandwiches while the guy guarding it is asleep:shock:
CHEERS NICK, ALL HELPS, IT DID CROSS MY MIND THAT THE TRANSIT WAS INTRANSIT, & CHEERS FOR THE T SHIRT INFO, BOB OBVIOUSLY MUST HAVE KNOWN THEM TO TAKE THE PHOTO, CAN ANYONE ELSE ADD ANYTHING?

& YES KEN DID GET THE SANDWICHES!!! & PROUD OF IT HE LOOKED TO:smoke:

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MARTY BABB TELLS ME THAT THEY WERE REGULARS AT CHELMSFORD CLUB RUNS, RECOGNISES THEM ALL BUT CANNOT NAME THEM.

SO SO FAR WE HAVE....

THEY COULD BE SURREY STREET RODDERS SHIRTS...

& THEY WERE CHELMSFORD ROD RUN REGULARS...

ANY MORE?

& SURELY SOMEONE MUST RECOGNISE THAT RAD MINOR NEXT TO INTRANSIT?? :smoke:

·
Registered
223 Posts
in my quest for archiving hot rodding material i have come across the following photos from the bob rothwell box.

They were labelled as towcester 1976, (the label is bobs writing) which i understand is just down the road from silverstone?

My questions are basically who are the hot rodders by the minor, & can anyone else offer up any more information on the vehicles or the show itself as i cant find any advertising on it?, were you there, do you have any piccys to post, someone must remember it?

The amber hillman ? I seem to remember in the mags but cant place it at the moment, the van appears to be a transit mk1, (& check the minor? Behind it).

There will be many more of these over time, so any help would be most appreciated, its all in the name of history of course.

If you have any similar archive requirements why not add on to this thread? ...:smoke:
the amber hillman is a austin ?? 1930's had a roof chop ran a spitfire engine built by steve ??????? From rugby was in hot car. I sold him my 100e van shell

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the amber hillman is a austin ?? 1930's had a roof chop ran a spitfire engine built by steve ??????? From rugby was in hot car. I sold him my 100e van shell
hi frank, yes i remember it in hot car, it was steve birch who owned it (see post 2) it was also in custom car a few months back as it is still around now in another guise, i keep trying to remember its name, wasnt it called amber gambler?:?:

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
heres those pics again, much better quality & closer...i have now discovered that the t shirts actually say norfolk drag & custom club, (anyone remember them??) you never know, it may throw some light on their identitys & which show this actually was., oh yeh & what is that sticker with the 3 sort of diamond shapes on in the window of the minor, its on a lot of my pics from beaulieu etc??..:smoke:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,829 Posts
yes it was amber gambler
Not quite. Steve Birch christened it 'Amber Gamble Wagon' because of its plate at the time AGW5. It was bought by Wayne Saunders in Birmingham, who had a Model Y that was known as 'Machine of a Dream' (Wayne also owns the ex Keith Harvey A phonebooth pick up, though that went back to the US with him when he emigrated to Colorado). However, back to the Austin, Wayne rebuilt it with I think a Ford crossflow and had it painted candy red and black by the late Mick Cooke. The car is still in Birmingham, now owned by Sue Meanley who has used it as her daily for twenty years or so (maybe more), only taking it off the road for one of its several repaints. Gavin on here, who owns the ex Steve Dennish 'Yosemite Logging' 32 Truck, is her nephew so could probably update you on the Austin's current status.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.