Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Probably been asked many times, are blue dot tail lights legal?

Ive got a pair to fit to my 50 Chevy, but want to know where I stand with the law first.

Many thanks.

Chris. :tup:

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Quick answer : No

The law: The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

"(2) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing any light to the rear, other than a red light, except-

(a)amber light from a direction indicator or side marker lamp;
(b)white light from a reversing lamp;
(c)white light from a work lamp;

...Etc... "

Here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/11/made

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Quick answer : No

The law: The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

"(2) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing any light to the rear, other than a red light, except-

(a)amber light from a direction indicator or side marker lamp;
(b)white light from a reversing lamp;
(c)white light from a work lamp;

...Etc... "

Here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/11/made
you can have red rear indicators, pre 65

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If you paint them from behind, so light does not show thru the blue dot they would be legal, I would imagine somewhat defeats the idea of the blue dot,
Its not then fact that its blue, its the fact that it transforms the whole lens purple/mauve colour.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,343 Posts
I thought they were standard for the vehicle officer they were fitted when i bought it.
We used that line over 30 years back when we got pulled in a model A running them. He'd stopped us because our lights were purple not red but when he got up to them they were ( of course) red with a small blue bit in them. He even started looking for the 'secret switch' that made them purple.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your input.

Id say im not going to add the blue dots as they increase the chances of getting pulled over. And as the truck is MOT exempt im sure there are other things that could be at fault (arguably).

Yes, the rear indicators are set inside the tail lights, so flash red and the front white parking lights have been converted to twin filament flasher/park lights.

Thanks again guys.

Chris.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.