Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know my dad mentioned somthing simular but i was thinking, if you look on ebay or any other online auction website, you see tons and tons of unfinished projects. i dont just mean hot rods, i mean everything like off roaders, bikes and even boat. most of these seem to go for spares for old boys restoring somthing, they never see tarmac or mud again. in my opinion i think people are more interested in saving the planet and titing about with modern sprts cars rather than bringing somthing old back to its former glory. whats your veiws on this:?:

·
Registered
437 Posts
1 word to describe it "money" .thought of breaking mine for spares as its worth more than an unfinished project but the wife says "leave it in the garage " . i could do with the money as like a lot of people

rob

·
Registered
548 Posts
over the years there has always been unfinished projects come up for sale sold one or two myself sometimes because dont have the ability to finish sometimes because going to have to invest more than the project is worth and easier to buy one that goes doesnt need as much work think at the moment with the credit crunch people are having to realise some of their assets just to survive .

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
money

people havent got the spare cash the last two yrs job losses etc,so they unfortunatly cannot afford to go on,end up selling to live ,i suppose,hope fully it will turn around n come good again:sniff:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
a lot of people bite off more than they can chew, restorations of any sort aint easy, but moneys the issue, no rod or custom for me this year, must be the first time for 30 years, business is tough, just need to keep a roof over my head and keep the lads in wages...and if and when i come out the otherside it 'ill be time to play hotrods again.............

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i dont think poeple are losing interest mate,but your house,family etc come first, i myself am having a clear out,discovery off-roader,amazon customsx2
just sold all my bikes:sniff:
but i do have a new toy so things arn't that bad yet but i'm making sacrifices to be able to keep my toy.
its just life at the moment for 95% of us.
chin up:tup:

·
Woodchipper Extraordinair
2,305 Posts
The way i look at it is my anglia is my toy and other things come first like paying off my loan for my daily and making sure mobile phone and tax bills get paid fortunatley i still live with my folks so i dont have a mortgage but if it got to the point where ihad no work and ive still got bills to pay then the anglia would have to go no matter how much it hurt me to sell it.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
i am bad at saving money , but i can sell the stuff i have accumilated if i need to so it is not all bad , il look at the toot in the garage as savings :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
And also a common case of biting off far more than you can chew... a hell of a lot of people dont realise how much time it takes to restore/rebuild/custom a car, it's all too easy to take it all apart and think you've made great progress... that's just the lemon next to the pie so to speak.

I've did it twice when i was 16-21 and then thought to myself why didn't i just keep the car rolling and do modifications/ rolling restoration as i go.

it's great to do a nut and bolt resto but you have to think long and hard before you take the plunge which it seems 60% of people dont.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Definitely :tup:

After all, Ebay is search based sales so rather than coming across the ad in a paper or something (where there might not be many) on Ebay you're pulling them into one place so it looks like there's more.

If that makes sense lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts