Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Burn out champ 2010
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If not, why not?

I know that some people can't for health reasons.

I needed 4 pints back in '77 and decided to 'pay it back' once I was fit again.

I'm no saint but I think it's a good thing to do....and unlike giving to charity it doesn't cost you.

I've only given 22 pints since '78 which is very poor but I have plenty of reasons (excuses!!!) for that. :)

·
Slacker journo
143 Posts
Been doing it on and off (allowing for piercings and tattoos and various injuries) for the best part of 20 years now. I even went through a stage of being a platelette donor, but I had to give that up after I changed jobs and couldn't get to the donor centre any more.
When I went to a regular donor session last month they told me it was my 104th, the high number beign due to the platelettes. :smoke:

Oh, I'm also on the Antony Nolan Trust bone marrow donor register.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
I used to be as I have a rare blood group group A Rehesus Negative and was talked into by me ex who was the same group.

I only gave twice as the first time was fine, second time failed as anaemic and that was the start of diagnosis of my kidneys failing. Well worth going as it can give a heads up on your health as well as being SO worthwhile .:tup:

Marian has signed up to the Anthony Nolan set up, I can't due to medication and health history.
Can't even give any of my usable bits back via the Transplant card either . I wouldn't be here still without those that do , eternally grateful .My thoughts always go out to the donor families on my 'anniversaries' :(

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
6 months after a tattoo or piercing, so my donations are spaced out, as it were, about 25 pints i think.
everything else is also up for grabs when i snuff it, though one or two of my organs might not be up to much by then (sorry Kev, I know you have been eyeing up my kidneys lol!!)

as an (rather amusing) aside, when I was in thr Army I once forged a letter to a mate who was A Rehesus Negative, claiming to be from the World Health Organsiation, asking him to sign on to a new regster of rare blood group donors who would be prepared to fly by private jet to disaster area's at a moments notice to donate rare blood. He signed it, showed it off to everyone he knew, as was last heard of trying to get hold of Butros-Butros Ghally after the Armenian earthquake a few years ago lmao :D

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Very similar to Kev, I have had blood in a transfusion, but due to the medications I take, I am not suitable to be a donor. Can't have tattoos either.
But having had blood, if I could donate, I most definately would.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I had to have a transfusion a few years back and was told that stopped me giving blood in the future. Not sure if thats right or not.

i have always carried a Donor Card though, and really hope that as many bits can be used as possible to help others. I think everyone should be a donor, and you should have to opt out.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I had to have a transfusion a few years back and was told that stopped me giving blood in the future. Not sure if thats right or not.

i have always carried a Donor Card though, and really hope that as many bits can be used as possible to help others. I think everyone should be a donor, and you should have to opt out.
I was told the same Dan, wonder if it old news now be interested to see if I can now as like you think it so worthy.

·
Rust Obsessive
642 Posts
I have done in the past, mostly when I was 18 - 21 but as I am in the parlour every 4 - 6 weeks that kinda rules me out. I have had too many health problems and accidents through my life to be able to donate organs. I am, however, eternally grateful for having someone else's cornea in my left eye as a result of one of those accidents.

My parents were both longterm donors, my Father in particular due to his blood type (o resis (sp) negative) being valuable and hence he gave three times a year IIRC. He gave up a short time after going past the 60 pint mark for political reasons - while I may not agree with him I think he had done his service by that point.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yep I donate have to look at the dates though not supposed to do anything strenuious for 24 hours after, so if I have an easy game of footy to ref then no probs. Do like drinking plenty of fluids though, supposed to be water but some person keeps putting malt and barley in it. tastes nice though

·
'Y me'
67 Posts
Yes every 6 months get a phone call from our local hospital around 30+ donations here and same in England, anything for a cup of tea and a few biscuits (and hopefully useful in some way) Tried to get the wife to go and she did but boy did she go white and felt wonky for a few days so it isn't for everyone glad I do it though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another A neg here! I donated regularly up to the birth of my wee boy even though my blood refuses to come out and I had to be very careful with my iron levels.. After I had my baby I had to be given some blood products... my blood really isn't good enough now :(

Am jealous of those who can give blood easliy; my grandpa gave twice a year up until his 70th birthday, was very proud of him!

Then theres my sister who is o neg, but faints at the sign of a needle, so has only managed to give twice :(

Tx

·
Registered
142 Posts
Another A neg here! I donated regularly up to the birth of my wee boy even though my blood refuses to come out and I had to be very careful with my iron levels.. After I had my baby I had to be given some blood products... my blood really isn't good enough now :(

Am jealous of those who can give blood easliy; my grandpa gave twice a year up until his 70th birthday, was very proud of him!

Then theres my sister who is o neg, but faints at the sign of a needle, so has only managed to give twice :(

Tx
I am one of the lucky one's who find it easy to give. My last visit I gave a pint in under 4 minutes! Which means I'm screwed if I ever sever an artery! :shock:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I can't anymore...a double heart failure in 2006 and a small stroke last year put paid to that for now but my good lady wife gives as much as she possibly can and has done for the last 18 years.

It's tricky her getting time off work to do it, they can be a bit funny about it...and she works for the NHS at our local hospital!:shock:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tried to give blood here in Australia, but because I have visited the UK in the last 8 years, they won't accept it........ Can you believe that....... Apparently they are still scared of the threat of mad cow!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.