Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the pop on the road for few years now - and it needed a freshen up (and to go a bit quicker)

so heres how it looked at end of last season

got home from hot rod drags and hiked the old blown x flow out

2 litre blacktop zetec dropped in on a rope

knocked up some mounts

1.8 cvh manifold - cut off all the water heated bollocks, then a ali plate milled to levelthe blower up - its only dropped on at mo

Exhaust manifolds are mega bucks - so bought some bends and tackled it myself - its by no mean perfect but was cheap haha! - the twin carbs on the blower are gonna make way for a 38 d gas and a cal custom style scoop.

Water outlet is on back of the head on these engines - and again a water rail is mega money so this weeks task is to make one, pics to follow.

hoping to get this out for summer, could be a few late nights i think!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hahahahahaha brilliant!! i could actually fit in it back then without hunchin over the wheel without lookin like quasimodo.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Love your approach to making stuff like the mounts, manifold and water rail from scratch instead of buying NOS parts. Will it be done for the Nos Nats/ 2011 season??

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom I dont want your shitty spacers haha!! never know these wheels may be gone by summer any way ;-))

And stoprock gotta make this stuff cant afford the propper stuff and dont want it lookin like it fell out a catalogue! ha alternator bracket and idler pulley for fan belt made since pics taken - hopefully get the water rail done at weekend - depends if i got to work or no on sat.

- it should be out for start of the season - aiming for drayton manor but we will see. Defo want it done for nostalgia nats - because i cant go to the hot rod drags in september this year so its gonna get a good thrashin at nostalgias instead!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad to see my tools being put to good use, looks like you found the free gas and cutting discs etc. Will there be anything left when I get back out there? Do you actually know where the gas etc comes from? Is my 34 still out there?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gas comes out the bottle - cutting disks out the drawer!! dont you know anything?? - that old 34 has been sold off to fund zetec blower pistons ;-)) plus it was getting in the way.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A bit of progress

New top plate cut and single carb mounted

New scoop mounted on adaptor plate and throttle linkage sorted

water rail made from length of stainless - sod payin £200 for one from burtons.

how its lookin now

Next thing is bottom blower pulley then sort out the blower drive.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nice one. Nice looking pipes and good job done. :tup:
I see for the first time when blower is hand made mounted on L4 engine and in so practical way. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well its been a while ha

engine rebuilt - painted, capri back brakes on now, bulkhead resprayed thanks to mate and 5 million other little jobs that neede doin - cams etc to get in and timed up and blower drive to sort in next week or so. Had right ball ache sortin clutch and flywheel - all done now tho.

dont look too closely at bottom pulley - this is just a temporary lash up to get right spacing ;-))

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bottom hose moved on rad - rad mounted this week.

exhaust manifold & water rail finished up and finally fitted - made bracket for blower idler pulley and mounted - its on other side of engine than it was on the x flow to miss the offset water pump. also flatted the writing off the rocker cover - i thought it would look better straight purple but im not so sure now??

- still waiting ofr blower drive to arrive - hopefully at weekend!

Breather tank made up from scrap layin about. Fuel pump to sort and rebuild carb this week.

Getting there slowly!!!

Have a good weekend at the drags folks!! car will be there next year!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
finally got blower drive sorted out had driveshaft lengthened etc. got all the belts on and mounted - just dropped the front back on to see what it looks like - pleased with how it looks. have had to cut the grille to let the blower pulley come out through which i knew was gonna happen - this will get tidied up and finished this week. the grille and front wings need to be repainted anyway. got to sort the fuel pump (any recomendations as to what to use???) this week and then its the job i have been putting off - the wiring! dreadin that. Soon be fire up time!!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts