Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Brixton Hill Buick Inc.
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here you go...

'Our new television commercial ‘Beauty and the Beasts’ will air for the first time today. The advert showcases the new R8 Spyder, our stunning V10-powered high performance sportscar.

The ad will be shown first during the Champions League semi-final on Sky Sports 2 at 7.44pm. Other high-profile spots during the first week are:

20 April Channel 4 Heston’s Titanic Feast
21 April ITV Champions League semi-final
23 April Five The Mentalist
24 April ITV The Prisoner
25 April Channel 4 The Restoration Man

‘Beauty and the Beasts’ is visually spectacular – it features 28 extraordinarily beastlike and clumsy cars, which contrast with the elegance and beauty of the R8 Spyder. The film, shot in London’s ExCel centre, uses the UK’s most skilled high-precision drivers and was created almost entirely from camera with very little CGI.

The film ends with the line “Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre.”, which is a reference to the Spyder’s Audi Space Frame and magnetic dampers that give it the agility and poise to outmanoeuvre the ‘beast’ cars.'

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Maybe I see this advert differently to others, in as much as they're trying to take the piss out of our style of cars.

QUOTE from the ad " The execution is based on a ‘beauty and the beasts' theme, showing a series of unattractive cars driving chaotically."

And

"it features 28 extraordinarily beastlike and clumsy cars, which contrast with the elegance and beauty of the R8 Spyder"

Since when have the words, "unattractive,beastlike, chaotically & clumsy" been positive??

"The film ends with the line “Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre.”, which is a reference to the Spyder’s Audi Space Frame and magnetic dampers that give it the agility and poise to outmanoeuvre the ‘beast’ cars."

Maybe I'm just missing something here, but I don't see this doing rodding any favours at all I'm afraid. Time to get back on the medication..........

cheers...Nige

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
The general public, for the most part, do view are cars as ugly, noisy, old fashioned etc. and the Audi would out perform them in all aspects.
We all know which we prefer though. :tup:

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
My 34 does get a bit clumsy when the roads are wet so I guess it's honest!

Edit: Can't word that properly. It's not in the ad, just one of 'our type of cars'.

·
Have love will travel....
275 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Its only an advert, not worth getting upset for.
As adverts go, I like it, then again I like the look of the R8, come to that, I like most cars:D:D

·
draggin bumpers
362 Posts
Maybe I see this advert differently to others, in as much as they're trying to take the piss out of our style of cars.

QUOTE from the ad " The execution is based on a 'beauty and the beasts' theme, showing a series of unattractive cars driving chaotically."

And

"it features 28 extraordinarily beastlike and clumsy cars, which contrast with the elegance and beauty of the R8 Spyder"

Since when have the words, "unattractive,beastlike, chaotically & clumsy" been positive??

"The film ends with the line "Mirror, Signal, Outmanoeuvre.", which is a reference to the Spyder's Audi Space Frame and magnetic dampers that give it the agility and poise to outmanoeuvre the 'beast' cars."

Maybe I'm just missing something here, but I don't see this doing rodding any favours at all I'm afraid. Time to get back on the medication..........

cheers...Nige
Yeah thats it now, we've lots all those potential Rod owners to Audi R8 Spiders now!

:beuj:

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
For some wierd reason I couldn't ge any sound on that- probably a fault at my end. It would have made more sese to see the cars out on the road or track where they belong. How about a return match at the Nostalgia Nats or Hayride.
I don't thnk we're really in the target audience for this but it's still good tto see rods getting a bit of mainstream exposure.

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
I think it looks fantastic, as Mopar Mark says, it's only an advert. I really can't see that anyone will look at our cars in it in a negative manner, if anything they'll probably think they were built for the ad.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think it's a great ad. Think about it - cool tunes and cool cars having fun, then some poncy modern plastic crap bimbles slowly across the screen to some soppy music. All it says to me is hotrods are way cooler than anything from a factory.

I do reckon the Audi phone lines will be busy though, with people asking where they can get a car like in the advert - as long as it's not that boring white one...

Cool :tup:

·
richard rawlplug
8,120 Posts
I think it's a great ad. Think about it - cool tunes and cool cars having fun, then some poncy modern plastic crap bimbles slowly across the screen to some soppy music. All it says to me is hotrods are way cooler than anything from a factory.

I do reckon the Audi phone lines will be busy though, with people asking where they can get a car like in the advert - as long as it's not that boring white one...

Cool :tup:
agreed , i did'nt see the bathtub smoking the tyres like the rod did....

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
did anyone from this forum get their car in the ad ?

·
Registered
616 Posts
did anyone from this forum get their car in the ad ?
Yep the green 32 pick up with the cheesy 8 ball on the doors is mine.
Dusty's A coupe is in there but you don't see much of it.
I think Pixie on here works on a couple of the cars for his gaffer. The A coupe/pick up with unloved on the back and the cut down sedan.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
just watched it ,would only let me watch 2/3 of it , seems quite a pointless advert , surely they could have come up with something better using the old cars , at least when it comes on later i know i can make a cup of tea

1 - 20 of 40 Posts