Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah i know a MAXI!
Does anyone know where i could get a replacement suspension unit for a maxi. Its the hydrolastic suspension model. Its sagging on one side so obviously leaking somewhere. Have to say it looks pretty sweet sitting low, Anyway of slamming them properly i.e airbags.
Hope someone can give me some info.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
These things and anything hydrolastic that BL churned out were notorius for the suspensions dropping without any real explanation, cut my teeth on these monsters. unless you know it has a leak i would just pump the suspension back up again, for parts i would guess the owners club would be the best bet, finding a garage with a suspension pump might be tricky aswel.

bill

·
Banned
4,329 Posts
People slag off the old maxis but in retrospect consider they were one of the first " true " hatchbacks,ride quality was superb and they ran off a smelly rag due to one of the most ingenious carbs ever invented! The camshaft was bathed constantly in a bath of oil so never wore out and insurance was so low it was a joke :D Christ did I really say all that :incheek:

·
Super Moderator
7,401 Posts
I had one I bought as a cheep banger when I lived in Cornwall 91/92 seats like armchairs, quick [I had many an XR3 from the lights] roomy, but a street cred of zero.
But it never let me down, and was good for the frequent runs up to Essex. [and cheaper than the Chevy van I had then]

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Yes you can slam them, I used to regularly lift mini's for rallying, did this by fitting a washer between the trumpet and the ball socket, if you lathe the trumpet in the same place the car will go lower and still have the exact same stiffness of suspension.

·
Engine Room
952 Posts
MAXI ,ALLEGRO, nonces motor
Allegro with the square-ish steering wheel stretch :wacky: as for the maxi i had a brown one what a comfy car, takes me back, oh as for the supsension thingy havn't got a clue were to get one of them from :whistle:

Have a free bump anyway (if thats allowed)

Mike

·
Registered
878 Posts
Making me feel old, cause I used to work at a BL dealer when they first came out.
Biggest complaint was the cable operated gearshift, described by one customer as "like stirring a bucket of s**t"

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Making me feel old, cause I used to work at a BL dealer when they first came out.
Biggest complaint was the cable operated gearshift, described by one customer as "like stirring a bucket of s**t"
That was the early models, they sorted the gearshift from about 74 onwards Maxi was so advanced in its day but as said, the styling was .........

I worked in a BL dealership too, remember the Allegro tie bar recall? .....

·
Registered
878 Posts
That was the early models, they sorted the gearshift from about 74 onwards Maxi was so advanced in its day but as said, the styling was .........

I worked in a BL dealership too, remember the Allegro tie bar recall? .....
To be honest no. I spent most of my time replacing mini rear subframes and electric fuel pumps, and of course choke cables that melted when the engine earth strap broke.
Some fond memories and I still bear a few scars on the hands.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.