Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought, but is there anyone else out there that thinks that Australian built cars are under rated, to me there seems very little coverage in the magazines, but i think that the base cars and the quality of the builds equal most of the best of uk, and american featured cars.
Has anyone got any good pics of Aussie built customs?
cheers. paul

·
Registered
34 Posts
Didn't see many customs when I was there but their rods are first class and their mags feature some good customs. I saw more rods over there than I did when I was in the states.
Here's a link to some rod pics from a local one day car show. There was about 600 cars there.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
yeah i agree,they build some realy good cars mate & bikes but you just dont get to see many.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been building Rods & Customs in Australia for over 35 years.

But i have a personal preference for Customs

A lot of you may have seen this Hudson I built for a customer on other sites, or in some of the international magazines it has been featured in.

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
Nice to hear from you again Paul. Great shots of the Hudson, your work is outstanding.. Any more in the pipeline?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi Paul,

This time last year we took a three week holiday in Brisbane which was great:D. We made it over to Petes Hotrod Shop at Cottonvale which was very interesting we also got to the drags at Willowbank Nostalgia Nats, and the ******* Scroungers car show at Coomera which was very good.8)8)8)

But mostly we were completely blown away by the number of modified cars and classic tin that was tootling about on a daily basis. Whether it be UK or Aussie heritage their was stuff to look at each day on the highway, not like say here or Florida for instance.:cool:

More pics Paul please.
Cheers
Tc:tup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice to hear from you again Paul. Great shots of the Hudson, your work is outstanding.. Any more in the pipeline?
This was the follow up to the Hudson
Started with a Canadian built? body. The only parts that were not modified or redesigned and completly new sections fabricated were the headlight grill and custom made screen and side windows.
Would have almost been easier to start from scratch and build a complete body
will dig out some 60's and 70's customs if you are still interested

Paul

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Spent a good few years living in Sydney and Brizzy but didnt see that many customs and rods kicking around, no more than here to be fair. There is a massive amount of fast and furious cars about including rotary stuff. There's heaps of classic stuff knocking about though on a daily basis and cheap enough to buy. Mild custom classics seems the way to go and there are many Ozzy cars that come with 6&8's as stock and i did have me share. I know their build regs are quite strict in many states and cars fetch big money . What did amaze me was how small the shows were compared to the UK scene and the lack of camping facilites/ overnights etc. Strange really when we have crap weather and out there you can almost bet on it being dry. Mind you alot of us dont have to travel 100/1000's of miles to attend a meet. Also there's alot that think the cars are all in good nick due to the weather. WRONG! If its costal you get the rust and if it's outback paint will be blistered and rubber trim, interior trim turns to dust. Great place and folk, wicked cars but the grass isn't always greener. For all its faults the UK (IMO) has got to be one of the best places outside of the US to own a rod/custom. I'd have one of these any day of the week!!!!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,052 Posts
Paul and me have been mates for years and sometimes exchange mags. The Australians turn out some cracking motors both trad and street rods and full on customs despite, or maybe it is because (?), of their tight registration laws.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts