Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

about to put a fresh car out on the road.

cars been built for a few years but never been on the road.

box is a th350.

if I put it into gear,it has a bit of a pause befor it moves.you have to give it a blip on the throttle to make it engage.feels like a long pause.

this is in all the gears and reverse.

I figured id put fresh trans fluid in this morning.for some reason only got bout 4 ltrs out of it.

put fresh in and at about 5 ltrs it started to come out the vent.

is there a magic way to drain.i had it in park.

also correct way to tell fluid level.everyone seams to have different ideas

thanks
wayne

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
sounds like either a blocked filter, knackered seals or a worn pump. Have you driven it yet ? does it slip in gear ?

Trans fluid should be filled with the motor running and the car in park, go through the gears and then check the level again. Level cold will be different to hot as the valve body and convertor drains down.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
Oil seals inside can stick creating pressure problems when it's been left around for a while.. You can get a 'potion' ( based on artificial whale oil!) that unsticks everything.

Was the box rebuilt or was it " that's a good 'un mate" ?

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually I think it was the brakes.seams for some reason they locked on .

bit of alteration to the link rod seams to have freed it up and the box seams to be ok.

box is/was a brand new tci unit.
will see tomorrow on the road what its like

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
4 Lts is about right. You cant drain the converter and the clutches will still be full. Refill it as you would normally, check the dip stick with the engine running and in park.
As Kapri says the seals can go hard if the box has stood. Try some additive and a reasonable run, but if you get nay flares (slipping) dont push it just nurse it home. If the pump is broken you will not get drive. If the filter is blocked again you will loose drive, but if you leave it for a while it will pick up drive again till all the crap gets sucked back into the filter, it blocks and you loose drive again... ad infinitum.
I am NOT recommending this, but in the old days we would put some celly thinners in, which swells the seals and gives then a new lease of life. For how long is pot luck.

If it has all its gears but is just delayed you may be lucky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts