Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

The auto box on my 27T has just given up on me!

BW65

A couple of clanging noises and then no drive in any gear (or park)

Looks like a rebuild/replacement
Any ideas on who to go to (I'm in Loughborough leicestershire)

Regards
Ian

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
no park either ???

maybe it's sheard the t/c bolts - or has the prop fell off :)incheek:) as i'd have thought you'd still have park working even if the 'oily' bits had failed :tdown:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Propshaft is still connected (at both ends!)
I got the first clang noise (I thought a mudguard had come loose) car still dove OK, about 1/4 mile later louder clang noise and no drive. I put it in Park but it still rolls

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I got the first clang noise (I thought a mudguard had come loose) car still dove OK, about 1/4 mile later louder clang noise and no drive. I put it in Park but it still rolls
does the engine still start ? (i ask this as a few years ago, a mate of mine sheared the center out of his flexplate on a ford granada)

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
It could be the output shaft flange. BW65's had a habit of stripping the splines out of them. Trans would be in park but the wheels would still rotate.
I might have one at the shop.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If Park's not holding the car it may be working inside the box but it's losing the drive further back. Does the speedo still work when you try to drive? If so it's either the output flange or splines or something further back than the box, diff or halfshaft as suggested earlier. Removing the flange shouldn't be too difficult and will give you a better idea of what may have happened. Try turning the prop with the wheels on the ground.
Depending on the origin of the box I've probably got a flange, and a tailshaft if it needs that too.

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
If Park's not holding the car it may be working inside the box but it's losing the drive further back. Does the speedo still work when you try to drive? If so it's either the output flange or splines or something further back than the box, diff or halfshaft as suggested earlier. Removing the flange shouldn't be too difficult and will give you a better idea of what may have happened. Try turning the prop with the wheels on the ground.
Depending on the origin of the box I've probably got a flange, and a tailshaft if it needs that too.
I thought i'd already mentioned output flange,splines and wheels rotating,but maybe i did in invisble writing.:roll:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks
I got the same advice from 'mechanical workshop' in narborough leicester.
I'm goiing to drop the propshaft tonight and have a look

Will report back

Ian

·
Registered
829 Posts
I thought i'd already mentioned output flange,splines and wheels rotating,but maybe i did in invisble writing.:roll:
You did, that's why I put "as suggested earlier" in my post to reinforce the possibility and give you credit for saying it, or didn't you bother to read that bit........

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
You did, that's why I put "as suggested earlier" in my post to reinforce the possibility and give you credit for saying it, or didn't you bother to read that bit........
Nah,i couldn't be arsed to..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys...
Worked it out last night -
Good news! it's not the gearbox...
Bad News! - it's the back axle!

The casings full of snapped shaft and chewed cogs.
i (think) it's a capri 3 lt - so I shall have to go scrapping - I'm hoping I can change the bits in situ, rather than remove the axle.
Anybody done anything similar??

Regards
Ian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts