Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at making a billet ali deep sump for the auto box on my dart and i have 2 thoughts, do i just make it deep to hold more fluid with fins on the outside for cooling or should i sacrifice a little fluid and put fins inside aswell to help cooling, any thoughts apreciated

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi, I picked up a collection of GM autobox stuff once an there was deep turbo350 oil pan with tubes through it for air to pass through quite clever I thought .not sure what you do with your motor but you can over cool I am told as trans fluid needs to be at right temp to be most efficent. I will no doubt be corrected if i am wrong .-----cheers DAVE

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive seen those sumps,look trick. my car is for strip use mainly although it will be street legal. i know nothing about auto gearboxes except cooling the fluid seems to be the norm but as you say maybe it can be too cold.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its not that its too hot more im doing the job (making the sump) and it wont be too hard to put fins inside if it helps, it will look good even if it is never seen.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Sorry, wrong end of stick there....It's all down to surface area then, the more surface that can draw heat away the better, I can see that some fins inside would help in that respect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.