Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an auto in my Ram and I suspect 90% of people on here drive an auto. Anyway, was sat in a queue today at some roadworks ( 4 way stop-go lights ).
It was a good 2 minutes between greens, so took a while to get through.
So I got to thinking, is it better to select neutral or just keep my foot on the brake as is usual
for short waits?
I'm thinking the load on the engine is less in neutral, is it pushing against the brake in drive?
I'll admit autoboxes are a bit of a dark art for me, :beuj: but hopefully someone on here can shed some light.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I always go for neutral or even park if it's a bit of a wait. I'm sure the trans can take it in gear, but it's got to make a bit more wear in drive. plus your less likley to daydream and let the thing creep forward. In neutral you can brings the revs up to about 4,000, then your ready to drop it in gear for the off once the lights change :lol:(no, really, dont do that)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Also need to consider the brakes. If you've come to a halt from speed there could be heat in the discs. By holding it on the footbrake the exposed part of the disc can cool but the part gripped by the caliper can't, so the discs warp. Probably not an issue on something with big brakes like I assume a Ram would have, but why risk it (have known it happen on mid ninties BMWs and Jags)?

So it's a good habit to knock it into neutral and use the handbrake.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Why has no one mentioned the fact that anyone behind you will get three red dots burnt into their retinas if you sit with foot on brake-really pees me off that .lol

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you leave it in drive, you wont hurt the engine, but you will put heat into the tranny fluid.
Neutrals best for any length of time.
Thanks Briz, I figured there would be some difference because the engine note changes very slightly going from idle in drive to idle in neutral. Revs change maybe 50/100 rpm, not much.
It's neutral from now on then. :D

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also need to consider the brakes Probably not an issue on something with big brakes like I assume a Ram would have
So it's a good habit to knock it into neutral and use the handbrake.
Thanks Stang, I never considered the brake/heat thing. Makes a lot of sense, and yes the discs are 'kin huge,
you deffo wouldn't want to drop one on yer toe! :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
as the oldest champion of auto boxes i prefer to go to neutral gives the transmission a break but because of my years i keep my hand on the selector (ooh her matron) then i remember to select that magic letter DDDD for do it ok i.ll get me coat

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
every time you select drive from neutral you wear the fwd clutch that little bit more... At the lights keep it in drive. For long waits neutral.
That is my opinion, you can choose what you like...:tup:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
every time you select drive from neutral you wear the fwd clutch that little bit more... At the lights keep it in drive. For long waits neutral.
That is my opinion, you can choose what you like...:tup:
Well, I would say your opinion carries a bit of weight, taking into account your line of work :D
Comment noted, thanks. :tup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts