Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother runs a vw breadvan for a daily which sits on bbs alloys but wants to go for the old skool look so has got himself a set of colour coded steelies some real nice beauty rings, and baby moon style centre caps, the tricky bit is niether the trim rings or centre caps have no springy bracket thingys on them to hold them in place, anybody got any ideas how to hold them in place , don't mind drilling the rims but trying to avoid drilling the shiny bits , did think about grippfill /silicone or the likes for the rings but they do have to be removable for tyre changes etc so decided against it, any help on how to mount these along with the centre caps with hidden fixings would be much appreciated.
Cheers
KEV

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,372 Posts
I have baby-Moon type caps on painted steels, most of the painted steels have three "lumps" in the central concave area that retain the lip of the baby-Moons as they are snapped into place. Two of my rims had had these lumps ground off so I just added three more using built up tack welds. I just built each weld up until the caps held tightly in place.

I'm also using trim rings but these have the spring clips.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys I will pass the advice on to bruv, I have had a rare lightbulb moment and seem to remember reading on here about using self tappers behind the moon discs so they pop over the heads to stay on if that makes sense, but I am old so could have dreamed it................anybody got any ideas on how to mount the trim rings ????
Thanks again
KEV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts