Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

641 - 660 of 689 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
if it doesn't settle you can cut half a coil from them for free, and again if it's still not enough also for free.
neil.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #642
if it doesn't settle you can cut half a coil from them for free, and again if it's still not enough also for free.
neil.
Thanks for that Neil, but the Mgb springs are "flat" at both ends, so cutting coils will be far from ideal, and lowered Mgb springs are available, so will probably go that route.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
no worries mate, if you had oxy/acetylene gear (gas axe) you could flatten the coil after cutting.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #644 (Edited)

The glass eventually arrived and I mounted the winder mechanisms, window goes up and down nicely, result. Hmm, not so quick.....when I try sitting in the drivers seat, the winder is right where my knee goes. And due to the tight confines, my knee can only go in one place.
So I managed to relocate the mechanism to a place which didn't conflict with my knee, and thankfully still wound up and down smoothly. Then I finished up work on the door panel and fitted that, quite pleased with the look, but, next issue, can't get fingers between steering wheel and door capping comfortably. I tried this way back when I fitted the steering column, I was convinced at the time it would be ok. So a bit of a tweak to the door capping is now on my job list.
Another similar problem, now with the door card on, I can't get my hand on the handbrake, I cured this by cutting out the hole you can see on the bottom half of the door card.
The hole at the top is where you put your hand through to pull the cable which opens the door, similar to the original Ruby set up.
Ive also fitted a door pocket to create some much needed storage.
Next I need to complete the same stuff on the passenger door.
Passed MOT this week with no advisories.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Absolutely fantastic news, Ian, on the MoT pass. To think what it was like when you started. A testament to lots of sound engineering.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
nice work on the door panels mate. could you move the column over an inch or two for steering wheel clearance? just redrill where the column drop bolts up under the dash?
neil.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #651
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
My gasser - I can't move the column across, the clearance for steering is about 2 mm!

I wanted to lose the restrictive pancake filters, you can see how little room there is, especially the front carb. I'm going to try and make something up myself.
I guess that when I fit bonnet sides, it will have to have the front carb filter partly sticking out.

Talking of bonnet sides, the original parts do not fit due to the new position of the grill and wings. To get round this I'm cutting a flat sheet of metal to fit the gap, and maybe will fit the old bonnet sides to these for good effect.
Still playing with nearside window winder etc.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
i didn't mean the whole column mate, just where it bolts to the dash so you'd gain a bit of clearance at the door panel.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #654
Budetta, MyGasser, as always, giving good advice, thank you

·
Registered
231 Posts

OK, 2 bits of string.

Now that I'm sort of happy with ride height I adjusted the headlight aim.

While it was outside, a Russian man came along saying how much he loved the car, he had filmed me driving it the day before. Nice to see what it looks like moving.
Out in the real world, the thing which stands out is how tiny it is compared to everything else. Getting lots of smiles!

Now making new list of all the bits I need to tweak/finish/fettle.

Absolutely love that look mate, the angle is spot on....

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #656
Thanks Joe, although it doesn't look quite so cool since I raised the front suspension , but I can drive it without grimacing every time I see a speed hump approaching!

Its been a busy week, but I snatched a bit of time here and there to get some interior trim bits finished, includingtidy up of stuff fitted under front seats.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #657
Well, after several attempts to seal up various pin holes and leaks from the header tank, today I was bowling along in the fast lane of the M25 when I noticed the temperature creeping up, followed by a puff of smoke/steam, so I managed to negotiate through the artics in the other lanes, coming to rest on the hard shoulder. AA moved me to a "safe place" where I was able to investigate, and when I tried re filling the cooling system, water was pouring out of the pesky header tank. Now waiting to be hauled home. So I'm finally gonna use a modern plastic header tank and hope to hide it with the leaky but nicely old looking one that caused my breakdown today.

Today was 1st time driving Baby Ruby in the rain, you can see in pics above that daylight clearly shows through bottom corners of opening screen, and even in the middle where I'm pointing water gets through and creates a magnificent bubble show with the air pressure behind it when travelling at 70mph in the rain!
Up to now, I thought it was quite quaint that the original windscreen rubber was virtually non existent, but after today, I'm gonna find out about getting a new rubber seal.
All in all then, today wasn't really a disaster, just another step towards solving all these little "real world " issues!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Bowling along at 70mph LOL

just think about that and where this was a few short weeks ago

641 - 660 of 689 Posts