Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

661 - 680 of 689 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thats an achievement , being able to do 70 on the M25 !!!!!
Joking aside its good your getting some shake down runs .

·
Registered
861 Posts
Effectively, it's a slightly more perpendicular MGB GT, so there could be 30 more mph to come! I'd have loved to see the AA man's (or woman's?) face when they tried to pin down what they were dealing with. Well done, Ian - brave going on a motorway for a shakedown, but I guess it's like battle hardening rookie soldiers.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
i've sort of disguised plastic header tanks before ian, i mask a 1/2" strip top to bottom then paint the plastic black. peel off the tape and you can see the level on the 'clear' line. you could go further and red oxide it first then rub through some of the black top coat on the edges to make it look 'older'.
neil.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #664
Loko and Blackpop - Thank you, but Ive checked out an Austin 7 forum, it seems everyone has the same problem where the rubber seal curls at the corner and fails to fill the gap. The only person who was happy had made his own seal from an old inner tube, so you can guess what I'm going to try!

MyThing, Budetta, 4pothemi - thank you, at 70mph with the overdrive on she feels like she is only ticking over. Also feels very nice and stable, although VERY draughty!
I would quite like to keep my driving license so don't plan to experiment with top speed on M25!

MyGasser - That's maybe what I'll have to try, but first I'll try to disguise it by fitting the old thing over the top. Did that parcel arrive OK?

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
MyGasser - That's maybe what I'll have to try, but first I'll try to disguise it by fitting the old thing over the top. Did that parcel arrive OK?
yes mate, i'll be going through it all tomorrow to have a measure up.
neil.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #667
Ivanhoew - everytime I whizz past a modern car I find myself wondering what they are thinking!
My Gasser- thank you, will be good to see how this turns out.

I had a brand new header tank in the loft so I fitted and ran the engine for half hour, fan cuts in and out, keeps it around 80 degrees no problem. I also acted on Ivanhoew's earlier suggestion to pipe the bleeder at the top of the rad in to give permanent automatic air bleed, all seems to work well. Still have to hide the plastic bit though.
The header was originally intended for a Metrocab, at last I have fitted a Taxi part to the Ruby!!

Today I realized that to remove the windscreen to fit a new rubber is going to be difficult, I have built my overhead console/dash right in the way. And I really don't fancy removing it. Coupled with all the negative comments on the Austin 7 forum, brought me to think of another way. So I wrapped the bottom half of the screen in cling film to act as a release agent, then masked up, and filled the gaps between screen and frame with Tiger Seal. I know this may not be the perfect solution but I don't reckon there's much to lose trying. I'm interested to see the results when I peel off the cling film.
I've also been chipping away at the multitude of other places where draughts are getting in.
Oh yeah and I found some K & N filters which I think will fit.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
so the tiger seal is stuck to the body or the knackered screen rubber to 'bulk it out' filling the gaps?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Could you make a clip on cover for the header tank so you could remove it easily to check the level? I'm thinking something like an old oil can.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #671
Tiger seal is stuck to body, and old leaky header tank now slides over plastic header tank

From the outside the tiger seal doesn't notice, I ll see how it affects the motorway speed draughts.
I got a Lumenition electric ignition for a bargain price so will connect that up soon.

I made new timing marks, this is now TDC as opposed to previous approximation.

I've got this bit of steel, just over 1mm thick, this is to make the boot floor. I would like to add strength to the flat metal, but don't have a bead roller, any suggestions?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Probably a bit late now you've got the steel but I made a new boot floor for a car out of 2 Astra van (IIRC) ribbed spare wheel well covers.

·
richard rawlplug
8,111 Posts
Great car this....well done.(y)

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #676
Probably a bit late now you've got the steel but I made a new boot floor for a car out of 2 Astra van (IIRC) ribbed spare wheel well covers.
The bit of steel just happened to be lying around, and big enough, so not too late. I'll see if I can get hold of the Astra spare wheel covers I think.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm going back over 12 years when I did it, they were Mk3 Astra vans I think but maybe the later ones have the metal covers. Can't recall if the Mk3 estates had them or just the hardboard cover like the later ones. You could always look at chopping a piece out of a van rear floor to give you a big enough piece.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
didn't the roof on astra estates and vans have ribs in them? they were pretty flat too.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #680
661 - 680 of 689 Posts