Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

681 - 689 of 689 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
So today I did over 70 mile round trip, windscreen leakage was massively improved, although we'll have to wait to see what its like in the rain. Lots of other draughts to eliminate though.
I had such fun. Seeing people's faces when they are overtaken by an 87 year old car on the M25/A12.
She did 28mpg today, and I wasn't hanging about, er, within the legal limit of course Officer! And I've got a few improvements to make yet, basically at the moment its just an old engine I got free and fired up.
One irritation:

Here is where the wiper is when I left home

..and here is where the wind pressure pushed it to after motorway speeds.

Another minor issue, the drivers window "falls down" while you drive along. It winds up and down OK, but I'm not sure how to stop it falling.

All in all, I just found myself laughing and smiling the whole time!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Oh, to have witnessed their faces, Ian! These shakedown runs are epic considering where you were a few months ago.

The window winder fix: The easiest one is to put rubber wedges between the window and the trim, which is what people did in the impecunious Fifties. Presuming these mechanisms are broadly similar: a bit more involved is to put some more tension on the big coil spring, if you can get at it. That will help, but might not totally solve the issue. The proper way is somehow get apart the small housing behind the winder handle that's got a kind of ratchet and pawl within it. Used method 1 & 2 with reasonable success on my Riley, but never attempted No 3, as it looked like you had to prise apart the mechanism and I thought I might not get it back together again!. My MGB does similar to Baby Ruby, OK when up, but when you attempt to wind it down, the handle whizzes around as the window goes into freefall. Of course, I always drive it with window down, so just an issue for when parked up.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
Oh, to have witnessed their faces, Ian! These shakedown runs are epic considering where you were a few months ago.

The window winder fix: The easiest one is to put rubber wedges between the window and the trim, which is what people did in the impecunious Fifties. Presuming these mechanisms are broadly similar: a bit more involved is to put some more tension on the big coil spring, if you can get at it. That will help, but might not totally solve the issue. The proper way is somehow get apart the small housing behind the winder handle that's got a kind of ratchet and pawl within it. Used method 1 & 2 with reasonable success on my Riley, but never attempted No 3, as it looked like you had to prise apart the mechanism and I thought I might not get it back together again!. My MGB does similar to Baby Ruby, OK when up, but when you attempt to wind it down, the handle whizzes around as the window goes into freefall. Of course, I always drive it with window down, so just an issue for when parked up.
Thanks for that, I know what you mean about prising apart the mechanism, I don't think it will survive! I'll try your other suggestions and report back!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Should have seen this thread earlier. I love it, the stance is spot on- for me it's the most important thing to get right. I'm also a fan of the 'as found' look. ok, ratrod if we have to use the name. Looks like a sensible build time as well which is inspiring.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
Thanks, Austin Harley.

So, to solve the issue of the "falling down as you drive along" window, I got an wheelchair ramp from an old taxi out of the loft.

I cut this bit out

And voila. My first attempt still let the window drop slightly but my 2nd attempt seems good.

Imagine the luxury, less draught, and no need to hold the window winder while driving!!

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
that'll work, i'd round off and/or wrap the ally where it rests on the door panel vinyl or it will cut through it in time.
neil.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Loving the 'left field' approach. I was stuck for a car some years back and bought a Nissan Sunny from a railway arch garage for £120. the driver's window regulator was shot and it had the webbing from a ratchet strap fixed to the channel, fed up behind the door panel and tied to the armrest.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Loving the 'left field' approach. I was stuck for a car some years back and bought a Nissan Sunny from a railway arch garage for £120. the driver's window regulator was shot and it had the webbing from a ratchet strap fixed to the channel, fed up behind the door panel and tied to the armrest.
train windows were pulled up by a strap when i was a kid, perhaps they got the idea from there. :)

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
Thanks MyGasser and Matt Black.

I want to progress the passenger wiper from a bit of wood holding it up to proper wind up mechanism.
But I have a problem with this bit:

Its made from 2 bits joined together no wonder it doesn't slide nicely!
If you imagine this as a letter "C", it measures 17.5mm in the opening but 19.3mm in the full height inside the "C".

Anyone got something like this?

681 - 689 of 689 Posts