Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I am bored due to being in self isolation so have been surfing the channels and have been watching Bad Chad.

What's everybody's opinions about him and his builds, do you think he is a builder or bodger, I really am mixed between what he achieves with such basic equipment using old school techniques and his vision, but really think there is a whole lot of effort time and money spent for not such a great end result, but that's just my opinion also not ever so impressed at how he treats his lad Coltan the lad seems very respectful and looks up to Chad but when he fucks up Chad comes across a bit of a bully/tyrant

My wife says he is like a ******* Andy Saunders but bet Andy would not be best pleased with that remark.

What you lot think ?

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what the comparrison.

both sculpture out of filler.

problem with lots of builders and shops ,that you dont really get to see the quality detail in the actual work prior to paint.
Seems to be a thing in most of the tv rodshop programs that I have watched is they cover every single square inch in filler or bondo as they like to call it and sand it back, I always thought filler was to be applied as thin as possible to smooth out any minor imperfections prior to paint,

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Adjusting panel and door gaps by filling right over them and cutting a new tiny gap with a hacksaw blade was a Boyd Coddington speciality, I couldn't believe anyone would do that!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,022 Posts
Seems to be a thing in most of the tv rodshop programs that I have watched is they cover every single square inch in filler or bondo as they like to call it and sand it back, I always thought filler was to be applied as thin as possible to smooth out any minor imperfections prior to paint,
Standard work in US.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm glad somebody's asked the question that iv'e been asking myself
for the two series that have been televised, although I still had to watch
each episode in disbelief, after being a paint and body man most of my
life the endless things he did in the name of "artwork" for want of another
word is shamefull, Wingfield said he had vision, and that man has the respect
of many people that knows his work, like somebody said on here,there is
no need to slap body filler all over a job to make it look good if you have
leant your trade, my wife used to say to me why do you watch that rubbish ?
but my view on chad is that he has taken the piss out of hotrodding,
I suppose the overall price of the work he did suggests the work was not
that good,

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like yourself Tiddy I found myself watching all the shows but don't know why, don't know if it was disbelief or whether just curiosity as to what he might build next but the result was always the same (disappointment at the end result) and said I won't watch another one but a couple of days later stumbled on another episode and watched it all. and as you say price may play a part as I think his most expensive build was 25K and we all know that don't get you very far having a rod built at a shop, but 25k is a lot of money to part with for a pile of shit.

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
I'm glad somebody's asked the question that iv'e been asking myself
for the two series that have been televised, although I still had to watch
each episode in disbelief, after being a paint and body man most of my
life the endless things he did in the name of "artwork" for want of another
word is shamefull, Wingfield said he had vision, and that man has the respect
of many people that knows his work, like somebody said on here,there is
no need to slap body filler all over a job to make it look good if you have
leant your trade, my wife used to say to me why do you watch that rubbish ?
but my view on chad is that he has taken the piss out of hotrodding,
I suppose the overall price of the work he did suggests the work was not
that good,
the standard of his work is no different to 99% of the cars built the world over.

you only have to look through the garage section on here to see that.

im not saying thats right or wrong cause i gave up a long time back worrying about how others build their cars.

and its not just home buiders is it.

even the pro,s have their work undone,only to discover the standard underneath isnt quite what was expected.

in my shop i keep my standards down proper low.thats why everyones a winner if i produce something better,lol.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
watched the TV series a while back, now been watching his daily video everyday on youtube :lol:

atleast his get up and go made me get up and back into the garage instead of sitting here getting deppressed :tup:

·
Registered
374 Posts
With the custom side of things being my personal thing through my earlier life
what I did was use my painting / welding and panelbeating skills that I learn't
in the motor trade to experiment, much like chad, but my paid job was crash
repaires and jigwork on good quality customers cars, so everything we worked
on had to be top knotch, I have seen a couple of his cars that looked half ok
but they were more hotroddy than the other crap, probably not built for customers
and I suppose i'll still watch it if another series comes on,

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sorry Kev, the pennies just dropped as to who I was talking to,
we hope you both are ok, sorry to here you are isolating, get well soon , best wishes ,
Sue and Rich

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here's my 2 pen'erth;

His eyes..................very scary
He's tryin to build cars for pennies, so the poor bugger starts off with crap n spends weeks tryin to 'polish a *urd'
I think he has flair, imagination n skills, but the end result can only ever be rattleboxes, perhaps whacky sculpture and unusual cars can only be a seamless match when masses of money get involved.

We need the producers to say 'here's a shedload of cash mate, go forth n amaze us'

·
Registered
374 Posts
I did watch an episode where he made a bubblertop batman type of thing
and they had to shape the perspex top by heating it, they got there in the
end but I only watch these type of programs because i'm interested in the
skills and technoligy, desperately looking forward to somemore decent
motorhead programs to come on,

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
I did watch an episode where he made a bubblertop batman type of thing
and they had to shape the perspex top by heating it, they got there in the
end but I only watch these type of programs because i'm interested in the
skills and technoligy, desperately looking forward to somemore decent
motorhead programs to come on,
It could be a wait.general custom car building is about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Bad chad represents the average car builder the world over.making do with what he has laying around and what he can get locally.

Isnt that what it was all about befor we could buy kit car rods of the shelves.and that is what a lot of the top shops build ,bar a few body mods..

I really like the finished products he makes. So there not the normal cars the purists associate with rodding,but there all finished and on the road.

Be interesting to see if he starts getting new kit in and the quality of builds change.lots of the other shows over the years have been like that.start of basic,then by series three,its got all new baileigh equipment and a couple of decent fabricators..

And hes only doing what most of you will never do,and that living his dream. At least he has some vision.notvreally bernie and lepu.

And im sure you were the top body man in youre time.

I recently had one here to do some body and paint.posts all over Facebook.the dogs bolllocks. I had to refund the customer for the work he done.pictures were quite different to real life.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,022 Posts
There's one shop about that is getting s rep for some good work and I've also seen them turn out someright shite . Another mate got involved with a fairly well known chopper builder and the framework he did was down right dangerous. It's why I've ended up waiting so long to get anyone to work on my cars.Most are full of promotion and little talent.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thas why we call him bad dad chad! He's entertaining, in a car crash kind of a way, at least he's not operating a conveyor belt of Art Morrison chassis, crate motors and billet wheels, now that is uninspiring.

·
stitchmeister
twin turbo LS 59 chevy apache
4,640 Posts
no one has mentioned jolene yet !!:incheek:
so this is chads recent build but andy saunders built this back in 1984

1 - 20 of 26 Posts