Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,363 Posts
Just a thought . In these times of apologising for slavery when people were physically stolen and forced to work many have missed the fact that we are all ( i'm not any longer) still slaves but the chains are made of debt .

..and a thought on the Brave New World ...when currently money is actually based on hours productivity by wage slaves ...how will wealth be measured when no one works?
OK, I know I'm dragging this topic way off course, but it's nearly Christmas and all that......

As with 98% of the population I spent my 20's not having much money, to a better wage in my 30's but the debt of family life drawing my spare money, to life in my 40's of a well paid job AND spare cash, but I soon found myself on the conveyor belt of "must have this" where you simply must-have this, that and the other, whether you really need it or not. You lose track of what really makes you happy, your next pleasurable fix comes from spending money. Fast forward to March 2019 and I finished paying the mortgage, then two months later I was made redundant and walked out with over a years salary. I took six months off to clear my head a re-focus before walking into a similar job for a competitor on similar money.

Things are WAY different now. I have a clear vision of what makes me happy and at the top of that list is being my own master. Following what I want to do and treading my own path of happiness. I won't be dictated to by a mis-guided management team at work and I won't be trapped into the media-spinning snowball of must-have debt. You know what? I've never been happier. While friends and neighbours are getting a kick out of buying the latest TV/phone/holiday I'm content pottering around in the garage or going for a walk. I now have zero interest in mutli-dollar cars, I'd sooner see someone welding something up in their own garage.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Lots of folk dont believe it but here we are with another example of where were at at why .. 2 billion aint to be sniffed at Pfizer Pfffff..

and Ellon Musk just made £14 billion ( now worth 104 billion $ ) when Tesla went on the S&P top 500 companies list ..

the founder of zoom just increased his share by £1.8 billion

and The founder of Nike made another £1.4 billion

thats in the last week all on the back of a lockdown pandemic ... there are more ..

and in relation to autonomous vehicles :

Tesla was not the only electric vehicle stock to spike this week. Xpeng, a Chinese electric automaker founded by billionaire He Xiaopeng, announced sophisticated new autonomous driving software on Friday. The company, which has already reported record sales in China in September and October, was up 28% for the week. Xiaopeng now has a net worth of $10.6 billion, a weekly increase of $2.4 billion.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Lots of folk dont believe it but here we are with another example of where were at at why .. 2 billion aint to be sniffed at Pfizer Pfffff..

and Ellon Musk just made £14 billion ( now worth 104 billion $ ) when Tesla went on the S&P top 500 companies list ..

the founder of zoom just increased his share by £1.8 billion

and The founder of Nike made another £1.4 billion

thats in the last week all on the back of a lockdown pandemic ... there are more ..

and in relation to autonomous vehicles :

Tesla was not the only electric vehicle stock to spike this week. Xpeng, a Chinese electric automaker founded by billionaire He Xiaopeng, announced sophisticated new autonomous driving software on Friday. The company, which has already reported record sales in China in September and October, was up 28% for the week. Xiaopeng now has a net worth of $10.6 billion, a weekly increase of $2.4 billion.
Im always amazed at the amounts of money involved.didnt the bloke who owns Amazon get about a billion a week at the start of lockdown.

Good luck to these people.

Never been one to take a chance with funds but wouldnt you bit rich now if you had bought into some of those companies at an early stage or had a couple of bitcoins.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
I'll stick me head above the parapets on this one .

If you want to continue using your modified vehicle without any restrictions and into the future it is apparent to me that a BIVAd vehicle is the way. It is classed as a new registration and will be in the mix wit theothermillions of normal cars rather than in a small niche section.

IF, as I believe is the ACTUAL wording , that there will be no new diesel or petrol powered REGISTRATIONS ( totally different and more far reaching than 'sales' then we will see a huge affect on any IC powered imports ( especially Historic ).

The other side of the sword is that BIVA already has a section for Electric vehicles.

IF anyone were to get caught with an incorrectly registered IC vehicle then it could still have a BIVA test but only if it were to become electric powered ;)

Let the stoning begin...

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,363 Posts
IF, as I believe is the ACTUAL wording , that there will be no new diesel or petrol powered REGISTRATIONS ( totally different and more far reaching than 'sales' then we will see a huge affect on any IC powered imports ( especially Historic ).
I trawled the FBHVC web site earlier and they half-heartedly mention this as they believe it refers to new SALES rather than new registrations, but being the "cup half empty and most of that is piss" type of guy I don't share their blind optimism until I can see it in black & white. What's needed is a small group of enthusiasts who could take note of impending changes and warn others in the hope that............... Wake up Gary.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I've abandoned any thought of my car being an investment. I will enjoy it while I can but suspect I will have to pretty much write it off at the end of the day. I might even buy another while I can.
The world has changed hideously. I don't get a lot of people though, even my generation. Someone at work keeps banging on about how great lockdown is because they have barely touched their wage. They don't seem to realise that's because they are among the 'living dead' - work, tv, sleep, eat, work, repeat.
I'm so glad I spent my money on cars and travel while I could, but when I say that to work colleagues, they think I'm mad not to be putting my money away for "later". There is no later, or at least not one you'd care to save up for.
Waaaay off topic, but this has become a really interesting thread!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have a funny feeling that the "last generation" of internal combustion vehicles will be holding their value. We currently have a 2012 Passat estate with 38,000 on the clock and even though it hardly gets used it ain't going to be sold anytime soon....

·
Registered
863 Posts
I thought that about the current generation of Fossil fuel cars that there values would hold .. untill the tax for them is so high and the parts are obsolete They can barely fix a modern car now without a fault code reader .. There will most definately be a scrapage incentive at some point where these newish dailys will be bought back and crushed .

All most of us could stretch to would be an electrically assisted push bike, but have you saw the price of those . A decent rodust mountain bike with electric assist will setyou back the thick end of £8000.. for a fucking push bike !!!! Meanwhile if your thinking of converting your daily or hot rod to electric with off the shelf parts and doing all the work yourself you best set aside at least £25000.. to do it properly and you might get around 100 miles per charge for that wedge .. A converted land rover defender will set you back £70k just for the conversion add on £20k for a decent donor landrover and you have a £90,000 door stop parked in the street ..

Its fair to say that we are now the equivilent of the folks back in the late 19th / early 20th century that used horses and carts and rued the introduction of the horseless carriage. Im seriously considering getting a couple of ponies and a doing a Steptoe, no tax no mot, non motor vehicle no licence, and run the cart on old bald tyres .. of course Horses fart and breathe so will undoubtedly be outlawed ... but what other mode of transport will be open to people thats affordable and sustainable .. you can even burn the horse shit and what you dont burn you can use as fertiliser to grow your own carrots . Then when the horse gets old you can kill it and eat it .. It will be like rural Russia soon.. It really will be kinda like a zombie apocalypse when all the folk that take the vaccine develop some horendous living dead virus as the covid they inject into you mutates and takes over your system. Meanwhile us that didnt will be roaming the landscape looking for safe places to collonise and make raiding runs to pinch fuel and shit from other bands.. The movies and playstations have been preparing folk for the zombie uprising for years .. Only thing is, in the USA they Dems will take away folks guns and the zombies ( liberals ) will take over .. you cant make this stuff up.. LOL..

·
Stroker
5,468 Posts
Maybe we are making this stuff up!! Maybe the yoof will enjoy being cotton wool controlled in the near future. :pmsl:

Not forgetting it's a lot of older semi anarchistic (such a thing!?) Dinosaurs on here.
We mean fcuk all to the controllers.
It's grooming the young that counts.

As Red has so intuitively stated the tv and social media presentation and adverts are trying to get the young on board cos 'it's our world to save'. One day we'll be fed to them Soylent Green biscuit stylee.

Hell, part of the putsch they've even promoted free for a month e-scooters in Bristol unt Bath!!

And with congestion zones coming here it's brutally obvious what the plan is.

I could use a tank of gas cruising town in the old days but now it's crossed over to distanced pedestrian zones, never to be removed!!

Reactions: Slamera63

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well done, Jim. Great settings for your mean machine! Saw one of those scooters parked up on Julian Road last week when I took my daughter to orthodontist. The Raven used to be The Hatchetts , more latterly a biker pub, but back in the day had WW2 fighter pilots signatures all over the ceiling, until some maniac painted them over. Cross Baths was where I learnt to swim (kind of). Being a Spa city has nice naturally warm water, until there was a swimming ban after a kid died from ingesting some amoeba in The Roman Baths. Funnily enough, saw an original Mk2 convertible at lights near the Holborne museum on my run back out of Bath.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I've abandoned any thought of my car being an investment. I will enjoy it while I can but suspect I will have to pretty much write it off at the end of the day. I might even buy another while I can.
The world has changed hideously. I don't get a lot of people though, even my generation. Someone at work keeps banging on about how great lockdown is because they have barely touched their wage. They don't seem to realise that's because they are among the 'living dead' - work, tv, sleep, eat, work, repeat.
I'm so glad I spent my money on cars and travel while I could, but when I say that to work colleagues, they think I'm mad not to be putting my money away for "later". There is no later, or at least not one you'd care to save up for.
Waaaay off topic, but this has become a really interesting thread!
I've had mine so long Nige folk tell me I will be buried in it.....and maybe that WILL be the case LOL., I dont care how much stuff is "worth" its a tedious job being worried about "getting out in front" its only money.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Saw a similar post on the NSRA site with a link to the BBC web site .. First off the BBC is not a trustworthy organisation. much like any media service The reason they hate TRUMP is because he tells it like it is , They spin lies dressed as news and science.

97% of scientists belive there is a threat from global warming,? thats a sweeping statement and %ages mean nothing unless they say how many "scientists there were that made up 100% of the total was it 10 scientists ? 97% of a small group of "scientists" with a vested interest and funded by green lobbyist groups numbering very few agree there might be a problem , providing they get funding they are happy to go along with the ruse . The larger group of independednt thinking scientists that number many more than the whores who sell out for a nugget of gold will dispute and prove there isnt a huge problem, especially one created by individuals, all the cars and fosil fuel burning things on the planet that individuals might use create less than 2% of the manmade CO2 , 98% of manmade CO2 is generated by 100 large corporate industries .. but only you , me , and small businesses are being tricked into changing our habits .. Just like they got away with this they are getting away with covid .. and vacinations .. scare you enough and you cave in and accept all the lies and fake science they throw at you .

Her is a small example , a quote from the BBC "science " page

The greenhouse gas with the greatest impact on warming is water vapour. But it remains in the atmosphere for only a few days.

Think about that for a minute, then consider that for there to be no water vapour in the air he oceans would have to dry up. The Pacific alone generates more CO2 than any other thing on earth day in and day out 365 days of the year for the last 40 billion years Thats 40 billion, so when is there never any water vapour in the atmosphere .. answer NEVER.

Guess what, the planet is still here , still evolving and changing as it has done over the last 40 billion years and as it will do for the next 400 billion . Will we be part of it ... its pretty obvious thats a big fat NO , at least not as we are now its called evolution and no matter how clever some people think they are you cant control a planet or the atmosphere it survives in . The universe and its workings are much greater than us , but some people seem to think they can play God.. The only thing scientists and politicians can do is exert control over a population and restrict there fredoms and activities and charge them for the privelage . They dont want to restrict the NUMBERS in the population because numbers mean taxes . As long as we procreate and reproduce we are a valued ASSET . Your birth certificate is a bond to be be banked for the future.. If you were born today your value to the stock exchange would be approx £160,000 . If you were around 8lbs at birth .. ever heard the term worth your weight in gold ? they are trading in futures .. each individual has a value based on weight, at birth, why else do they need to weight a healthy new born , why is it a legal requirement to register a birth? simply so you can be traded, and your background and potential output banked. We are all bought and sold as slaves and never think about it .. We grow up start work pay tax make purchases take loans, generaate credit, eat,drink, use energy and its all calculated in advance human beings are nothing more than pawns in a virtual chess match , good against evil, sacrificing themselves to pay taxes . we think we are individuals .. think again..

This might be way off the wall but Covid is here to reel you in , the liberal elite are loosing control and this virus is an opportunity to regain control and stifle creativity and freedom .through fear . Despite it being a pandemic have you seen dead bodies lying in the street? how many folk do you know that's had it ? My argument isnt that there isnt a virus doing the rounds, its simply that its being used to manipulate society and to force change through fear . You were told at the very begining, this is the NEW NORMAL , hiding the agenda in plain sight, plain and simple .

I have met one person I know who was diagnosed .. his symptoms , ZERO .. self isolate for 2 weeks and you will be fine .. No follow ups no nothing no all clear check , just stay in for a fortnight and its all good .. seriously !!

Wolves in sheeps clothing .... but dont take my word for it . Time will tell .

·
Registered
863 Posts
if your not yet convinced : Official Government document.. some of it is scary reading if you actually take time to "READ" it

https://web.archive.org/web/2019072...gulation-for-the-fourth-industrial-revolution

if you read any of the above you would have saw references to the WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM

well if the first document dint raise some questions you wll shit your pants when you read the contents of this from the WEF official web site...

https://www.weforum.org/focus

take a moment to research some of the people behind these think tanks ...

A quote from the WEF

"Globalization 4.0 is going to hit the service sector. Hundreds of millions of service-sector and professional workers in advanced economies will - for the first time ever - be exposed to the challenges and opportunities of globalization."

All you need is something to create a new start, somethig that will throw people out of work and make them compliant .. step back look at where we are now, lockdown pandemic , ideal ..

A further quote :

"Worryingly, the service sector is also where AI-driven automation will displace many workers. If the blue-collar workers disrupted by Globalization 3.0 join hands with the white-collar workers who will be disrupted by Globalization 4.0, we may have an upheaval on our hands - what I call the Globotics Upheaval. Reading recent headlines, this upheaval may be wearing a gilet jaune."

( google Gilet Jaune )

"Every great transformation creates triumphs for those who can seize the opportunities and tragedies for those who can't. Future globalization will bring us to a better world if we prepare well and if our governments take care to not let it happen too quickly. Explosive economic changes have, in the past, led to explosive social upheaval. Our governments need to help people adjust, and - if it all goes too quickly - they will need to slow it down."

You need more than a tin foil hat to protect yourself from the global agenda .. were fucked ..

Basically these people rely on your ignorance of what happening to pass changes on a global scale . They are scared you know or find out whats planned for you. If you do you may revolt ... like the yellow vests in France or if you prefer "GILET JAUNES" Resistance brings attention to there plans and that is not good for "progress" scary stuff but thats where we are :(

Dont call it a conspiracy, its first hand straight from the horses mouth, direct quotes from there own web site .. from the leader of the pack . It means the rich get even richer and we will more or less be provided with a UNIVERSAL BASIC INCOME which funny enough is being sanctioned by the Catholic church ..

https://oxfamblogs.org/fp2p/the-pope-just-backed-a-universal-basic-income-and-a-lot-of-other-stuff/

This is just food for thought to let you see where things are heading. People need to enlighten themselves. You dont need to adhere to any of it, nor follow or believe it . Its there if you want to find out where your destiny and the future lies. I have my thoughts and opinions and im just kinda glad I will probably be dead before we are trully and utterly fucked , So for the next 10 years im gonna have a ball spend any cash I have or might generate and have as much fun as my old body can muster for as long as I can .. If you get any cash dont bank it, spend it .. It wont be long before the cash you have in the bank wont be accessible , As more branches close and more hi tech methods develop to redistribute it , every penny you spend will be traceable and accounted for , no more black economy, no more wheeling and dealing ,and when the Universal Basic Income materialises ,It will be based on your assets, so big bank accounts mean no state income untill you reduce it to a statutory maximum . Kinda like now . If your old cheese is gong into care if she has assets they will be accounted for and she will pay for her care untill the assets drop to a value not exceeding £16000.. at which point the council step in and take over the cost of care home fees.. So saving is a waste of time but at the same time you dont want to get into debt .. and hiding cash at home will be futile when cash is phased out .. Try putting it in the bank and you will be asked all sorts of searching questions ... only thing you can do with it is burn it or spend it while you can .. Dystopia here we come ..

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
The bank alreday always ask " What's it for ?"when I try to withdraw cash. I told them last time I'd got a real good deal of a kilo of coke , I never smirked or smiled, they didn't know what to say or do .

Your view of the future is very similar to mine .

The big question is we all accept the illusion of cash ( it's only a promisory note based on the value of a workers labour). Once there is no work to provide value to cash will the rich still be rich ??

For me, the idea of the Illuminata is just a chinese whispers version of the brightest will always be in control. You just have to hope that they have benign intentions.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
Was watching a youtube video about how dolphins have larger brains than humans, have a language and names or each other etc etc. We believe we are the superior race on earth due to our ability to scar the planet with our progress ? :( Dolphins swim around all day in warm waters chatting to each other and living their days in peace and harmony ? " Thanks for all the fish" ??

·
Administrator
9,783 Posts
I still maintain it's not a big issue.

Pollution/rubbish is a far bigger threat in my opinion.

Global warming? an issue? It was far hotter when the dinosaurs were here, even in Roman times it was warmer.

The only 'crisis' is for humans (& I guess some animals) as our lifestyles will have to alter and we will lose some beachfront properties and some cities. We are so arrogant as a species to think we can stop the world evolving. If the human race is wiped out by global warming then that probably would make the world a far better place.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Redoxide, the last bit of your post above is the EXACT way i'm thinking/doing right now, it is perfect, bet no one takes any notice though, its reality
I'm now basing my life on the next 10 years, I'll be 69 then and dont give a fk, no kids to worry about , no debt, I can burn all my shit if necc , no worries about collecting a pension....fk that, giving some twat money for 45years......and that IS going to be a problem for the "savers",in the near future
If anyone can get anything they are owed right now, get it would be my advice.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Polution and rubbish is a big issue, These are tangible things that are real, we can see hem, we produce them and are forced to purchase goods that are wrapped in plastic , foil , metal and paper , sometimes a combination of all 4.. Yet with our great minds and determination to save energy and save the planet we cant find a suitable way of disposing or recycling most of ths stuff. or for that matter finding or delivering some alternative . But for some reason we can cure the invisible and questionalble warming of the planet ... Really, we cant make a universal food wrapping thats degradable but were gonna solve global warming .. its laughable .. Nah wee would rather fly to mars ffs ..

They never try to make changes to things you can measure personally. We all walk along the beach and see plastics washed up thats a visible and measurable pollutant we separate our rubbish now and we can clearly see the amount of plastic waste that's generated by consumerism , maintaining the profits of big corporations , it gets worse, but its largely ignored in favor of an invisible immeasurable fear of climate change .. It used to be called global warming but that term was dropped in favor of an undisputable phenomena , called climate change, something that is real and has been since the universe was created ... its just that we can measure it manipulate the statistics put a spin on it and capitalise from it unlike before .. when we just dressed appropriately for the changes and carried on as normal .. because it was normal.

There are Trillions of £s to be made from the fear of climate change and some folk are squeezing as much as they can from it . If saving the planet and reducing co2 was the real goal why are we burning trees ? why are we using energy and valuable minerals and metals to build windmills . answer is funding, some people are making a fortune on the beliefs that windmills will save the planet .. meanwhile one small nuclear reactor in a single fixed site of modest proportion can produce safe clean energy at a sufficient level to provide power for many more consumers.. for many more years and it can do it cheaply . But there in lies the rub.. If its cheap there isnt a sufficient profit so they dont pursue it .. They are building new neuclear power stations , several in the UK infact, and it will be those that maintain the supply and demand, not the mass of concrete based, metal and fibre glass monoliths that will simply be be a headache for the future ..

21 - 40 of 80 Posts