Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
.....and the wave of dud batteries from the 1st gen of electric junk....where's that dangerous shit going when the time comes.?.....but its ok, because its going to change the World LOL.....not.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
.....and the wave of dud batteries from the 1st gen of electric junk....where's that dangerous shit going when the time comes.?.....but its ok, because its going to change the World LOL.....not.
They're already being used for power storage in buildings with solar panels where they don't need the full 100% or the deep cycling that happens in a car. Instead of only getting power on a sunny day they enable the systems to also have power storage facilities.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,310 Posts
I HAVE actual taken 'global warming / climate change / bollocks' into account and have made personal chenges to my life.

NOT because of the stories but because alteringenergy consuming parts of my life made sound finacial sense .

Both mine and Marians dailies do over 50 to the gallon with mine being a cleaner petrol 'performance' ( enough to make it ahoot to drive engine.

House is insulated to the eyeballs with all the A+ rated stuff fitted ( but only as old stuff wore out) . I've even downsized average engine size across the fleet of projects and also run on LPG a waste product or pretol refinement and much cheaper than petrol.

I can sleep sound and smugly :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
....and Tesla in all the countries that they manufacture.

It’s a good start and, as Kev says, anything that reduces personal cost is great!

·
Registered
949 Posts
My Mum would have thought all this green stuff was pretentious nonsense, and yet she was the 'greenest' person I know. When she did buy something it had to last, and then the item had a second life as something else eg when I was at school she made me a blazer out of the good bits of a worn out one of my Dad's. Right up into her late eighties she'd be negotiating with the bloke in the Co-op to get a discount on veg that would otherwise be thrown out. I've inherited some of this, my vehicles I've all had for years, I cycle where I can, still use a Nokia, still watch Panasonic TV that family and friends clubbed together to buy me for my 40th (it's cube-shaped), my best quality tools are hand me downs from previous generations, I read a lot, but tend to buy secondhand books from charity shops, only buy replacement clothes when old ones are thoroughly worn out (or when wife thinks I need a makeover). And if all that sounds a bit miserable, it isn't, it's quite fun and sometimes requires a bit of lateral thinking.

·
Administrator
9,969 Posts
While I mostly agree with Redoxide I think he might be dissappointed to find that wind power already provides 20% of all UK power and is set to triple that in the very near future.
No Plutonium to worry about and no fear of (possibly) melting down.

Sadly for us dinosaurs a lot of the green tech does actually stand up to scrutiny, it IS driven by profit as Ian says, being green is just a by product.

My arguement is why do we need so much power? virtually everything now sold is electrically powered, but do we actually need it? Sure we WANT it, but do we NEED it?

Big industry tells the sheep that they DO need it, and they swallow the message hook line & sinker.

We fill our recycle bin to the brim most weeks (and our bins are massive) yet we buy very little except food. Most of the 'recycle' waste is rubbish we did not want delivered through the post box or packaging from food.

But hey, I should spunk up £30,000 or more for an electric car as that will cure everything!! Ah!! sorry, its 'only 199 a month'. 199 what? they dont even mention pounds anymore so the sheep are brainwashed into thinking its a teeny tiny number not worth worrying about.
The sheep buy into this and then peer pressure - again driven by big industry - forces the non sheep to comply against their will as they get ganged up on.

There seems very little independant thinking nowadays :shake:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Which is probably the real answer, its not cost affective to recycle them, that's why no one wants the job.
It's not cost effective? Is that your opinion or fact?

Now that the first battery packs are coming to end of life use in cars, below 80% efficiency, they are being recycled by the companies I previously listed as they are still perfectly usable and there's money for the energy companies to make on them which will always be the biggest driver.

·
Milner for PM!
2,303 Posts
Its fair to say that we are now the equivilent of the folks back in the late 19th / early 20th century that used horses and carts and rued the introduction of the horseless carriage. Im seriously considering getting a couple of ponies and a doing a Steptoe, no tax no mot, non motor vehicle no licence, and run the cart on old bald tyres .. of course Horses fart and breathe so will undoubtedly be outlawed ... but what other mode of transport will be open to people thats affordable and sustainable .. you can even burn the horse shit and what you dont burn you can use as fertiliser to grow your own carrots .
Quite right. Anyone who thinks electric and autonomous cars can't/won't be made viable is very short-sighted, just as the adherents to the pony and trap in 1895 scoffed that the slow, noisy, smoky and troublesome contraptions called automobiles would never surpass the horse. Early prototypes always leave a lot of room for improvement. Look at how far the film industry developed between the first five-minute silent films and great post-war epics like The Bridge on the River Kwai and Zulu, and how much it's changed again (not for the better, in my opinion) following the introduction of digital and computer technologies. It's worth remembering that in 2005 the tragicomic G-Wiz represented the typical electric car; 10 years later, Tesla had usurped it with a much more respectable offering. Autonomous technology almost certainly can be made to work, but it may not be compatible with analogue driving.

I've been fairly happy up until now just keeping all this digital shit at arm's length, using a computer and a digital camera for work but otherwise not falling into the snares of the Apple/Google/Facebook empire. But it's increasingly obvious that if I want to exist in society, and be able to earn money and avail myself of civic amenities I would have taken for granted, I'm going to have to get with the programme, buy a mobile phone and God knows how much other smart-this and smart-that, and transfer my soul to the dominions of the tech-masters.

If we're lucky, we might be allowed to give it all up and go and scamper off into the wilderness - if we're lucky.

·
Milner for PM!
2,303 Posts
Besides the obvious environmental concerns that surround the manufacture of lithium batteries, there appears to be quite a serious humanitarian issue in the fact that the cobalt used in them is being mined in the Congo by 11-year-old children for £1.50 a day. It's not really sensationalist to say that that amounts to modern-day slavery. At last, here's a just cause for Black Lives Matter, Sadiq Khunt, David Lammy et al. to get their teeth stuck into!

I've just checked their respective Twitter accounts. Khunt wants London to become a 'feminist city'. Lammy is whinging about the massacre of slaves... in 1781.

Reactions: alan

·
Registered
949 Posts
Besides the obvious environmental concerns that surround the manufacture of lithium batteries, there appears to be quite a serious humanitarian issue in the fact that the cobalt used in them is being mined in the Congo by 11-year-old children for £1.50 a day. It's not really sensationalist to say that that amounts to modern-day slavery. At last, here's a just cause for Black Lives Matter, Sadiq Khunt, David Lammy et al. to get their teeth stuck into!

I've just checked their respective Twitter accounts. Khunt wants London to become a 'feminist city'. Lammy is whinging about the massacre of slaves... in 1781.
In fact there's a civil war going on in The Congo over mineral control. And there's an irony in all the articles in The Guardian on new tech and new gadgets and how all the protesting environmentalists have the latest iphones. Well, it wouldn't be very cool not to. There was a bit on the news this morning about how a lot of tech manufacturers are going to be forced to make items more repairable.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts

as youre still a nipper,youre probably the only one on this forum who will see all this come into affect.

me im just going to enjoy my toys until i can no longer buy fuel.its really that simple.

going by the recent retirement thread,most on here wont be driving anyway come 2030

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
It's not cost effective? Is that your opinion or fact?

Now that the first battery packs are coming to end of life use in cars, below 80% efficiency, they are being recycled by the companies I previously listed as they are still perfectly usable and there's money for the energy companies to make on them which will always be the biggest driver.
LOL The whole fkn car is not "cost effective" to start with, have you been out and bought one? you seem to be hooked on justifying this stuff

·
Registered
12,519 Posts
If your a fan of late model GM trucks very shortly you'll be able to buy a bolt-in, bolt-up to your existing transmission 'crate' electric motor to replace the fossil fueled unit. A truck seemingly as this will be the only vehicle with enough storage space for the batteries - and the cost of all this..........don't ask. Enough to go buy the very latest 'huffed' LS3 engine (or two!) I'd gesss!
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/1...lectric-crate-motor-for-homebuilt-ev-hotrods/

·
Registered
894 Posts
Based on the % of power produced by windfarms , at todays outputs there are currently 9000 on shore windmills . so at 20 % of the current total needs we would need 45000 windmills to be 100% renewable ... ( lets not count burning wood as a renewable since its releasing carbon the same as coal and currently its the slow burn stuff they burn but they replant fast growing pines which burn faster..) Ad to this the space they will need for 45000 wind turbines and there will be no room for trees anyway ..

One wind turbine used appox 900 tons of steel 2500 tons of concrete and 45 ton of plastic

so currently to produce at top whack 20% of the UKs energy ( green energy) 9000 wind turbines have used

8,100,000 tons of steel ... 2, 250,000 tons of concrete, and 40,500 tons of plastic .

so to satisfy the needs of total green energy

that will be : 40million 500thousand tons of steel , 11 million tons of concrete, and 200 thousand tons of plastic .

At 11 x 1000000000 joules to make 1 ton of steel that equals 306 KW h per ton of steel. The average wind turbine produces 6million KWh per year ( on top form) so at 900 tons of steel at 306KWh thats just short of 3million KWhs to produce the steel . then you need to produce the goods transport the parts, pour the concrete , run the cables, ship stuff from around the world so the total energy consumed will possibly be close to the total energy the windturbine produces in a year ,, so year 2 its paid back .. But if you errect 40,000 that will take up . At roughly 2 megawatts per 1/2 Km with the average turbine producing up to 3 megawatts you can up the land area to 1Km squared .. There is currently 100,000 Km squared useable land available to errect turbines in the UK , therefore roughly half of that would have to be occupied by wind turbines .. the entire UK is around 240,000 km squared so basically the entire landmass of Scotland would be required for the errection of wint turbines , any space left will be covered in solar panels and the coastline will be littered with offshore wind turbines .. to provide an excess.. There will have to be facilities for battey storage . So although the needs of the population can be met and the windmills offset there carbon and energy use oven 2 years , there wont be any space for houses .. or people ..

Yep I know its not all gonna be met from wind turbines .. but the above is a theory :)

Despite all this green stuff I recon if you errect a small windmill in your garden and go off grid the council and the energy companies would have something to say about it ..

So when do the electric bills start going down... despite the cheapness of this green stuff the electric bills keep going up..

41 - 60 of 83 Posts